In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

anyone here shoot

oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
idpa or uspsa?
went to my first today just to spectate and see what was involved...
now i think im addicted at first sight!
already planning on how to come up with the cash for all the spare mags, holders etc needed to play!

Comments

• JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldemagics
    idpa or uspsa?
    went to my first today just to spectate and see what was involved...
    now i think im addicted at first sight!
    already planning on how to come up with the cash for all the spare mags, holders etc needed to play!

Sorry, GSSF guy here...
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    1911a1fan does. I myself have thought about the IDPA. It sounds like alot of fun. But I wonder how much it would cost you in ammo every week. How many rds was the average shooter using?

What caliber you thinking about?
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which one did you go to, IDPA or USPSA?

A basic difference between the two is....

IDPA is "most of the time" from behind cover, and you are limited to how many rounds you can carry/shoot, and the course of fire is basically laid out for you.

USPSA is run and gun, out in the open, and unlimited rounds you can carry/shoot, and you can shoot the course however you think you can do it best.

It IS addicting. [;)][:D][:D]
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot USPSA type 3-gun about every other weekend. I also shoot GSSF Matches when they come to town.
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That looks like a LOT of fun. I need to find a local chapter.
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Which one did you go to, IDPA or USPSA?

A basic difference between the two is....

IDPA is "most of the time" from behind cover, and you are limited to how many rounds you can carry/shoot, and the course of fire is basically laid out for you.

USPSA is run and gun, out in the open, and unlimited rounds you can carry/shoot, and you can shoot the course however you think you can do it best.

It IS addicting. [;)][:D][:D]

guess this was uspsa, lot of runnin, cover, combinations of paper targets/no-shoots, steel plate and steel silouets.
    shooter bounderies, (some were a real *, leaning 3 feet over line to shoot around a wall)
    shooting boxes, move from one box to another before able to engage next series of targets...
    i know some of the guys (guess because of class?) were restricted to mag limit, only 10 rds in a 14 rd mag etc. but didnt look like a mag limit as most were carrying 4-6 on belt and sometimes a psare or two in a pocket
    all in all a real attractive sport to any shooter! at least would be to most of the guys i know
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, sounds like USPSA or IPSC. If they had more than 3 mags on their belt, it was, because IDPA is limited to "3" 10 round mags max, on the belt. You are right, different limits on how many rounds in magazines, and what equipment you can use, depending on what "class" you are shooting in. Then there is the power factor to consider. Check into it and let us know when you shoot your first match, and what you think of it.