In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HWY shootings

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Someone for the first time called police claiming to be the highway shootings sniper, authorities said Friday.

A task force investigating the 20 shootings at cars, school buses and homes is trying to determine the validity of the call to Columbus police, Franklin County sheriff's Chief Deputy Steve Martin said. The call is being taken seriously and is a priority in the investigation, he said.

Martin would not give details about what was said in the call answered by someone in the Columbus police dispatch room. He would not say when the call was made, whether it had been traced or whether the caller was a man or woman.

One person has been killed in the shootings along or near Interstate 270, south of the city, since May. No one else has been struck. No new shootings have been linked to the case since Jan. 22.

A shot fired at a car on Interstate 71, which intersects with the outerbelt, became the 20th shooting in the series. The driver said he thought the gunfire came from a highway overpass and he saw someone standing in shadows.

Martin, who listened to portions of a tape of the call, said the caller engaged in a back-and-forth conversation. He refused to release the tape because Columbus police received the call.

Investigators have regularly asked the person responsible to call a phone tip line or contact authorities in writing. They set up a post office box for that purpose.

More than 3,600 people have called in tips on the case, and investigators are looking into numerous people named in the calls, Martin said. Local businesses are offering a $60,000 reward.

Gun_smokes.gif

Swanton.gif

Comments

• Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are we in for another long and expensive legal effort that will explor the poor upbringing, lacking links to reality, over exposure to violent press and TV, failing social graces, inability to find a productive position in society, (and my favorite) the begging cry for recogniton and help, from this criminal who is executing his planned program of terrorisum on unknown persons whose only ill doing was to just happen to be on the road he selected as today's target?

Then we will all pay for his confinement, treatment, work release program and job assistance.... [:(!]

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    George Orwell

TARGETS UP!
    TIGER6
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I was on 270 in Columbus, Ohio last Dec a few days after that lady got shot and died.
    We were on our way to Kansas to go hunting. Traveling that road with guns in the car made me feel a little un-nerved so I had my local sheriff write a letter acknowledging me, in my home community, in the event we were stopped. Last thing I wanted was some delays and grief if I had gotten stopped, knowing how hyper some people can get.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were talking about this on the radio the other night. It seems there is a 911 operator in some deep crap because they didn't take the guy seriously and he hung up and called back several times. It would be a real shame if someone else got killed and the guy could have been caught.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just had a highway shooting last week.
    No suspects yet.
    Mother and baby are doing OK.
    There are some sick people out there.

The gene pool needs chlorine.