In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

my dogs surgery was today(pic)it's sad looking

0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
troubles surgery is set for tommorrow morning.the poor guy.they wanted to do it today but i dont get off of work until 11 tonight.so its going on tommorow morn,wish me luck

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
SEMPER FI

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely. My dog had ear surgery as I said, and she has been doing great since the stitches came out and she's off the antibiotics.

It's important to stay on the antibiotics before and afterward; if, afterward, you run out of antibiotics and there swelling and redness develops, insist on a refill. Also, my dog was sensitive to the medicine to a degree -- she lost her appetite entirely, pooped a lot less, and puked some. She lost some excess weight, which was okay. I kept an eye on her for overall stability and health. Luckily the side effects weren't so bad that she couldn't stay on the medicine. I guess if it had been that bad we'd have asked for a different antibiotic. Don't blame the dog for accidents. Just roll with it and keep your Spotlifter handy in case the dog doesn't get your attention in time and pukes indoors. My dog is now trained well enough to go to the door if she gets the heaves. Pretty cool. But I have found the occasional spot on the rug when I got up in the morning.

I took the "Elizabethan collar" off her when we got home. I was home with her, and she didn't scratch much. But she did scratch a couple times when I wasn't looking, or when I was asleep. Luckily, she didn't ruin the surgery or even tear at the stitches. Mostly, she just made her head red around the ear. So, I did put the E-collar on her one night only. It wasn't too big a problem, and the E-collar caused her more discomfort, at times, than the ears did. I cut the collar down so it was smaller and lighter, which helped. But I really didn't get much use out of it other than when she came out of surgery until we got home the first day. It contained the blood and seepage until her ears finished scabbing a bit more.

My dog's other little symptoms stopped when we got her off the antibiotics, though her return to normal was gradual over a couple days. I gave my dog a bit of spaghetti sauce, peanut butter, or cheese, whatever she could keep down, to mitigate the fact that she wouldn't eat her regular food. She's doing great now, her ears are perked back up, and no more headshaking. It's well worth it.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    thanks offeror for the info they are also gonna run some tests why he gets these ear infections so often.i looked into this web site but im not sure about them www.petinsurance.com

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Wish you luck, and him too![;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Hope everything turns out okay.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I have bought used car insurance from faraway companies and always regretted it. They basically cover nothing except one nut somewhere in the middle of the engine. That's how I feel about the idea of Internet pet insurance too. I would need a lot of convincing that it would be useful and effective before I would give them a dime.

I do wish I had found IMOM.org before Buff's twin ear resections. It's too late now.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

• RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope everything goes well and Trouble recovers quickly. [:)]

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Good luck, man. Hope all goes well.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My best wishes for you and your buddy,Im sure he'll do fine.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give him a milkbone for me..
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I hope the surgery goes trouble free.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Marine, I hope all goes well. I know just how you feel with my dog now on the wounded list. Never realize what a big part of the family they are until they are hurt or missing.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • 1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck! My poor old 8 year old dane slipped on some ice the other day, and dislocated a hip. Ever try loading an hurt 150lbs dog into a car! After paying the vet, what a nice new rifle would cost, the old girl is doing OK. It's hard to some people people to see putting that kinda money down for an animal, but that old dane greets me at the door every day, an all she wants is to be petted. Her vet bills are well worth it to me.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Sure hope everything goes well!!!! Keep us posted!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope all goes well marine. Keep us posted.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the best to you and your Trouble! Ask the vet about keeping his ears clean as I discussed in my reply to your first post. It made all the difference in the world for my pup, although he never really appreciated the attention.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
    edited November -1
    well he had his surgery it went well. i had to carry him to the truck .he's really drugged up and he just lays there whimpering on his blanket.it's really sad .i think he is mad at me.but im glad he is ok .

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
    edited November -1
    I had the same experience with Buff. Got her home and she was "lackadaisical." I called an emergency hospital in the evening just to find out if she might benefit from something over the counter for people, and they told me it takes 24 hours to get over the anesthesia. They were right. She was better next day.

Treat him good. [:D]

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Glad it's over! He'll feel better soon.[:D]

I will say a prayer for God's little creation![;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
    edited November -1
    aawwwwaw "trouble" isnt it sad looking[:(]
    000_0048.jpg
    edited November -1
    You may be able to scissor 2 or 3 inches off that Elizabethan collar and make it lighter weight. I did with my dog and it helped keep her from tripping over it. Keep him away from stairs with that thing on or there could be ... trouble! [8D] Handsome beask....

• Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Marine, glad to hear all went well, and I'm sure Trouble will have a speedy recover. My boy "Tucker" wants to wish trouble his best as well.[:D]

Airborne_Tucker.jpg

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
    edited November -1
    thank you guys,night stalker that pup of yours looks like its a good dog.leah said tucker is cute and she wants it.i told her she's got to wait awhile.[:)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That pup will be good as new in no time, and back in "trouble" again. [;)]
    Good to hear it went well.

The gene pool needs chlorine.