In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

UPS Bend-Over Mr. GunOwner Tactics

quackshotquackshot Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
UPS is sticking it to the gun owner again.Yesterday I had to return my new Vaquero to Ruger for repair. The owner's manual says not to ship the gun in its case, just a box. I attempted to do just this but UPS told me I had to put the gun in a locked plastic case and then pack it in the cardboard box. Of course, they had to visually inspect it for ammo before I closed it all up.They require us to ship our handguns Next Day Air because they have a bunch of thieves working for them. So, either they still have a problem with their employees stealing handguns or they are just increasing the shipping weight to make more $$$. Either way, don't be surprised if their next tactic is to make us ship our guns in a steel gun safe.It cost me $40.60 to ship this handgun via UPS. If I had it to do over, I would pay my money to my local FFL Dealer and let him ship it USPS. UPSucks!!!

Comments

• quackshotquackshot Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Insurance was only $1.40Fuel Surcharge was .20Next Day Air 4.84 lb 39.00Maybe the UPS clerk had his thumb on the scale.[This message has been edited by quackshot (edited 02-15-2002).][This message has been edited by quackshot (edited 02-15-2002).]
  • simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    39#!?!?!! That can't be right!
  • simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Nevermind - I see now, 4.84#. That sounds alot better.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't feel bad, I took a box of primed MT's down to get a quote on shipping, it took 35 minutes and 5 phone calls to get aproval for shipping them! The lady behind the counter had no idea what primed empty cases was, she had to call UPS, the gave another number and so on. I finally told her I would take the brass back and deprime them. Just watch me!
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder what the lady would have said if you told her that it was a FEG PJK-9HP which comes from the factory in two styrofoam halves that are taped together.
  • biganimalbiganimal Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dan wesson handguns told me to box up the handgun carefully so it dosen't get hurt and tell fed ex that it contains "machined metal parts" which in fact it does! mine got there and back with out any problems and the shipping was minimal. we refuse to use the big brown truck
  • biganimalbiganimal Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in fact dan wesson people even make arrangements for fedex to come pick up the gun and they use thier account so you get a break on shipping and they tell you straight up not to tell the driver or anyone else whats in the box, just machined metal parts...
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    .....otherwise it will be stolen!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember this in all your shipping needs. Remind them of a store called K-Mart.We don't get any credit for that "But in your heart you know I'm right".
  • YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember this in all your shipping needs. Remind them of a store called K-Mart.We don't get any credit for that "But in your heart you know I'm right".
  • sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    YankeeC, I heard the same story about how gun owners didn't have anything to do with K's demise. Maybe not, but our wifes probably did... Problem with shipping them as machined parts, is the insurance probably won't pay if something happens to it. I only say that because of some questions that were answered while trying to get a class III back to the state it was registered in. (Guy submitted the state to state transfer, but never made the move, then later wanted to sell it, but it wasn't located in the state it was supposed to be in. Huge mess and the brown truck people didn't help matters. Owner finally ended up transporting it. He wanted me to do it, but I won't even haul my own guns anymore, much less somebody else's class III.(in my semi)
    Have Gun, will travel
  • NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just before Christmas I had to ship my Ruger Mark II Government back to Ruger, didn't even get to shoot it before it broke, that is another story, the spring from under the sear came out when the sheriff was inspecting it. Cost 48.17 to ship it via FedEx, glad ruger refunded that one.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's another piece of Rosie's answer on how long it "should" take to ship a gun. Because UPS and FedEx insist on using accelerated shipping classes for these guns, you should receive your purchase in record time once your Money Order has been received at the other end.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please forgive that I didn't have details available...but,USPS rules are specific and shipping a handgun can be Priority (Insured is YOR option) mail. I save $$$ for the buyer this way.UPS, at their main office, will screw around with you anyway they can. I simply take the rifle I want to ship all packed & ready to go, in an unmarked (firearm) box, to a UPS OUTLET or better still a Pack N' Ship kinda place. Average gun (insurance optional again)is about $10.00.I can prove this....but I meant this as help to anyone not using this style/method currently.Otherwise...shipping costs bite....
    "They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull a trigger. I won't!" J.B. Books
  • GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please forgive that I didn't have details available...but,USPS rules are specific and shipping a handgun can be Priority (Insured is YOR option) mail. I save $$$ for the buyer this way.UPS, at their main office, will screw around with you anyway they can. I simply take the rifle I want to ship all packed & ready to go, in an unmarked (firearm) box, to a UPS OUTLET or better still a Pack N' Ship kinda place. Average gun (insurance optional again)is about $10.00.I can prove this....but I meant this as help to anyone not using this style/method currently.Otherwise...shipping costs bite....
    "They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull a trigger. I won't!" J.B. Books