In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buyers remorse or mid-life crisis????

LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in General Discussion
Has anybody here ever bought a large ticket item and felt guilty about it ?
Besides firearms I've always been fascinated by Rolex watches. I am a amateur Horologist (watch repair)and have several antique pocket watches I've collected and restored but have never owned a really nice Swiss timepiece. My wife and myself went to a antique show over the weekend and our Jeweler was there, I had asked them several months earlier if they ever ran across any Rolex's to let me know ( I really never expected them to as they specialize in antique jewelery )I was shown my dream Rolex (President) and a Breitling. My wife apparently knew a head of time that they had them and totally surprised me when she told me to pick one of the two. The both of them were 18K gold, one of them being a couple of thousand dollars more than the other (Rolex). I literally stood there for over a hour and a half trying to decide on which one and then a additional hour trying to decide if I should do it at all. I did eventually purchase the Rolex and have been battling myself over it ever since (my wife is fine with it,it's my problem). I am really psychoanalyzing myself, perhaps I'm going through a mid-life crisis and picked a watch over a sports car or a affair.
It is now my new "Safe Queen" (you can bet your life I'll be carrying if I wear it anywhere)and is a reasonable investment and a heirloom to my children. It's just the guilt of it's cost (this might have been put toward possible needed future therapy ?) and why do I feel like I had to have it.
Has anyone else had guilt or felt remorse over buying something you had to have, a car, a firearm or anything else? I would really appreciate your input.

"Knowledge talks, wisdom listens"

americashapeflag.gif
"If I'm ignorant, that's the first I've heard of it"

Comments

• Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    relax man, its just money.

besides, you should've got a GMT Master II [:D]

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
    th_israelC3.gif
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it'll make you feel any better, send me all your guns and the rolex and you won't have these repressed feelings of guilt anymore.

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger270man
    relax man, its just money.

besides, you should've got a GMT Master II [:D]

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
    th_israelC3.gif

I just wanted the gold and diamonds, I'm sure I will look great out feeding the horses wearing it(livestock are so easily impressed)[:D]

americashapeflag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ghotie_thumper
    If it'll make you feel any better, send me all your guns and the rolex and you won't have these repressed feelings of guilt anymore.

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.

I've got to keep the gun's, so I can battle with my new found disillusioned paranoia[:D][:)]

americashapeflag.gif
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan

I just wanted the gold and diamonds, I'm sure I will look great out feeding the horses wearing it(livestock are so easily impressed)[:D]

well the GMT Master II has neither [:D]

th_israelC3.gif
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poor LaidbackDan![:D]

It hasn't dawned on you what has really happened here. You have been snookered by the woman. I see a new car in her future, because now........WHO'S GONNA SAY NO TO HER? YOU? HAR HAR [:D][:D][:D] I should love to see you standing there in the lot knee deep in cow pie, glancing at your shiney used Rolex and wondering where she is headed as she roars out onto the county road in her new silver racer!!![:0][:0][:p][:D][:D][:D]

[^]

Frog.

RiBBButt...You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to. -Roger Miller
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Its not a mid life crisis,...all it is is perhaps a touch of guilt and the 'shouldn't haves'...

You keep thinking the money should have gone elsewhere, you dont really need the watch, the money should have been put to another purpose, you dont deserve it, etc...

Any yes any normal person will feel a bit guilty when getting something for themselves when they have a family..
    You put your family first instead of yourself, and now you feel guilty for doing it....Just think of it as protecting your family in the event something happens to you, or if you lose your job etc, the watch is always money in the bank...kinda like guns...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Tibetan proverb: "It is easy to see the fly on the other person's nose, while ignoring the horse on your own".
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Just say to yourself, look at the money I saved by Buying a President instead of a Crown series Rolex. If you can get the parts to service it yourself, you will save money. I had to have a stem and a cleaning done on my Submariner several years ago and the dealer charged me $482. I had gotten the watch from a pawnbroker friend sveral years ago for $800. If you keep it, it will probably keep going up in value. My brother-in-law has a President that sounds like yours that he bought in Switzerland in 1985 for $8500. It also has the inner and outer diamonds and is 18K. I know they are a lot more than that now.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan- you earned it. Be happy. I have an exgirlfriend that I used to refer to as a professional horologist, I guess I have been using that term incorrectly for the last few years.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everybody for the input.

Frogbert,I think you are 100% correct. My wife already recieved a new/old ring due to my guilt[:)]

americashapeflag.gif
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The question is opportunity cost. If what you forego to purchase the item. If you spend the rent/food/clothes money on a "non-essential" then the choice would be seen as lacking wisdom, however there is more to life than existance. Without touching the "essential" funds a few years back I got a 10+karat emerald, set in diamonds, and gave it to my wife as celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary. I consider that to have been money well spent. These sorts of things are the art of life.
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    I've never bought a large ticket item and not felt buyer's remorse, and I never even make impulse buys. A mid-life crisis is when non-buyer's remorse outweighs buyer's remorse. [8D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If it aint hurting anyone,, go for it, you only go around once..[;)]

"when you see the enemy, you attack and shoot him down, anything less is just bull shi*
    Baron Von Richthofen (RED BARON)

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Life is short. It would have been a bigger regret if you HADN'T bught it.
  • Options
    HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to be just a tad more "laidback" about it.

Sako Fan
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Relax Dan,
    It is probably a combination of a mid-life chrisis and buyers remorse. Put the watch on and never take it off except to shower.

I just cleaned the chicken coop, put a new foot valve on the well pump feed line and cleaned the toilet.

My Rolex never leaves my arm even when gutting deer.

Enjoy your new time piece and never look back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A lot of good insight here, Thanks.
    We have been looking for things that we could pass onto the Kid's and enjoy at the same time. Rolex's continually retain their value(after the first purchase from dealer when new)and depending on the gold market, increase in value (at least recently).
    I thought I would post a photo of it but my digital camera doesn't do well with closeup detail, so here is a photo of the exact same model as I purchased.
    2.jpg

americashapeflag.gif
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    Thanks everybody for the input.

Frogbert,I think you are 100% correct. My wife already recieved a new/old ring due to my guilt[:)]

americashapeflag.gif

Ha! I speak from experience. My sweetheart NEVER forgets anything, either![:I][:0][:D]
    If I were to lose her, nothing would have any value to me ever again.[:)]

Frog.

RiBBButt...You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to. -Roger Miller
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Once I picked up the tab for a big group of people I'd been drinking with all night. I felt really bad about it the next day. Or maybe it was just the hangover that made me feel bad. [:D]

Moral of the story: Don't get so drunk you'll buy drinks and food for people you don't even know.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.