In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Adding Feng Shui to California's building code

Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Has anyone here heard of the Asian art of Feng Shui?

It has to due with the why you arrange your house and all your things so you have a better life. One of California's lawmakers wants to add it to the states building code. This sounds like a good idea to me I hope we can get this in Indiana also.

Jan. 26 (ABC7) - While the state struggles with budget cuts, one San Francisco lawmaker is thinking "chi" or positive life force and how to regulate it into building codes. Leland Yee is asking fellow lawmakers to consider adding the Asian art of Feng Shui to California's building code. ABC7's Nanette Miranda explains why some assembly members are balking.

Feng Shui is the ancient Chinese practice of arranging your environment in balance with nature. It has caught on in the trendy parts of the western world, mostly in furniture placement.

A San Francisco lawmaker wants the art as part of the California building standards code, to encourage Feng Shui in the design of new commercial and residential spaces.

Leland Yee, (D) San Francisco: "Part of it has to do with the Asian culture of trying to integrate one's self in harmony with one's environment."

Some businesses have already incorporated Feng Shui into their design. P.F. Chang's restaurant, for instance, has a large front door that is far away from the back door for the benefit of "chi", a positive life force.

Penny Redman, Fen Shui consultant: "If there's a door directly behind it, the back door, everything could come in the front and go out the back. You want it to come in and stay so that everyone in that building can benefit by it."

A Darth Vader-like building would not be encouraged in a downtown if the Feng Shui resolution were adopted by the legislature. Some lawmakers think the last thing California needs is another guideline in the building codes.

Assm. Ray Haynes, (R) Murrieta: "The idea behind the buildings codes is to make sure a building is safe -- not to make sure it's harmonious."

Some wonder, in this state's current budget crisis, why Feng Shui should be discussed now.

Yee: "If the opposition would not be so oppositional, pass it in one second and we can go on with other things."

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/012604_nw_feng_shui.html

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.

Comments

• ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    As odd as it sounds, there is something to be said about feng shui.

Hong Kong, for example, despite being near the Ring of Fire, has never lost a building to a natural disaster. Every building there was erected and dedicated according to the dictates of classical feng shui.

Now whether it's luck (to you skeptics) or the real deal (to you believers), there's no arguing with the results, right?
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dances, usually you are right on, but this time, you are just plain wrong. The ghost of my great grandfather landed last week with the little blue guys (here to consult with Judge Dread) and he told me Feng shui is real!

He Dog
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Are ya sure its not FLING POOOI[:D][:D]

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry coundn't help myself [:D] [;)] [:o)] [:I]
    This has about as much credence as putting a Groundrat in charge of when winter is coming. [:D]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Knowin' this San Francisco Assemblyman is a little light in the loafers. He's taken a little too much Feng up the Shui.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.