In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.7 jap sporter

chorkiechorkie Member Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
I picked up a sporterized 7.7 Jap today. The metal work is pretty good and the stock is a so-so homemade job. It came with a Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 4x12 scope, sling , hard case and 67 rds of reloads (in Norma brass). I went to the range and shot the 7 loose rds into a group that measured 1 3/8" center to center at 100 yds. Do all of these things shoot this well? I bought it to sell and am wondering if I should part it out or sell it as a is? Which way do you think I'll get more $?.
Chorkie

Image005.jpg

Comments

• Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    You might get more money by replacing the stock with an original or after market job in your favorite flavor.

I have a friend up in Morenci Michigan who has one of those. It is very accurate and has recoil somewhere around a 30.06. He pays about $25.00 a box for the Norma ammo.

Delta.gif
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chorkie
    My 7.7Jap using buddy moved out of state, so I have no more use for the dies & bullets, if you want to reload. Brass can easily be made from 30-06 cases, but it will be about .003 undersize at the base (in the chamber is "jugged" even the proper brass will have problems).
    His was shooting around 1 3/4" groups as I remember.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original trigger does not do the gun justice. Long ago I found a Timeny trigger for this rifle in a gun store cheapie box. The difference was more than I have ever experienced with any other rifle.
    I added an old side mount scope & a slip on recoil pad to lengthen the stock & had a surpriseingly good rifle for a total investment of about twenty-five dollars. (I said it was a long time ago & I did also have to buy a set of reloading dies as there was no ammunition available at that time but it was easy to make from 30-06s.)
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    A "Jap??"

You boys better be careful. The Gunbroker Thought Police, aka Hairy, will be on your "racist" *. [:D][:D]

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.