In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mel Gibson's father comments on the Holocaust

TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Mel Gibson's Father Says Holocaust Was Mostly Fiction

Thursday, February 19, 2004
Associated Press

NEW YORK - Days before the release of Mel Gibson's film about the death of Jesus, which some critics say could fuel anti-Semitism, his father has told an interviewer that the Holocaust was mostly "fiction."

Steve Feuerstein - host of "Speak Your Piece!" - said he interviewed Hutton Gibson for a segment of his show to be broadcast Monday by the small Talkline Communications Network.

According to a transcript released by the network, Hutton Gibson said, "It's all - maybe not all fiction - but most of it is," when asked about his views on the Holocaust. He added, "They claimed that there were 6.2 million (Jews) in Poland before the war and after the war there were 200,000, therefore he (Hitler) must have killed 6 million of them. They simply got up and left. They were all over the Bronx and Brooklyn and Sydney and Los Angeles."

The interview comes at a sensitive time for Mel Gibson, whose epic "The Passion of the Christ" is due to open Wednesday.

Some Jewish leaders say the movie could fuel anti-Semitism for its portrayal of Jews' role in the crucifixion, while conservative Christians have praised it as a moving depiction of Christ's death.

Gibson, who produced, directed and co-wrote the film, has said repeatedly that he is not anti-Semitic and that the project was a deeply personal expression of his own faith.

Hutton Gibson has an unpublished phone number at his home outside Houston and could not be reached for comment. Alan Nierob, a spokesman for Mel Gibson, declined to comment on the interview.

Hutton Gibson follows a tiny wing of traditionalist Catholicism that views the modernizing reforms of the Second Vatican Council as a conspiracy between Jews and Masons to take over the church.

The elder Gibson has stirred controversy in previous interviews with remarks on the Holocaust and Judaism, but had kept quiet in the months leading up to the release of "The Passion."

In this latest interview, Gibson said Jews want to take over the world. He did not know why Jews would want to achieve that, but said "it's all about control. They're after one world religion and one world government."

Asked in media interviews whether he shares his father's views, Mel Gibson has said that he loves his father and will not speak against him.

Zev Brenner, owner of Talkline, which he calls a Jewish network, has been calling for a boycott of all of Mel Gibson's movies.

Comments

• ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    "Mostly fiction?" Sounds like "mostly ignorance" on his part to me.

Anyone who would describe the Holocaust as "mostly fiction" is either ignorant to the point of criminality or bigoted to the point of inhumanity. The Holocaust is one of the best-documented genocides in history... the Nazis kept meticulous records and the Allies captured most of the death camps relatively if not wholly intact. The witnesses are also too many and too varied to be discounted.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is alot of jews in NY and CA.

Look at all the tv show producers, theyre all liberal jews.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Asked in media interviews whether he shares his father's views, Mel Gibson has said that he loves his father and will not speak against him.

And that bit of prideful stupidity right there will be his undoing.

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,449 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clearly he is either ignorant or a bigot, but frankly who cares what Mel's old man or his third cousin once removed thinks about anything?

He Dog
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man Bullz...you must not think much of you own Father if you take that path with what Mel Gibson said. I agree with Mel. I love my father, and I will not speak against him either, whether I agree with him or not. Guess I am pridefully stupid too. I agree with He Dog. WHO CARES??
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The credentials of both Mel and the senior Gibson in historicism and all matters of divinity are impeccable. If anyone should know the facts about the crucifixion or the holocost, these two men should. It is therefore not surprising that they are now collaborating on a new movie titled The Passion of Auschwitz, which examines the unreasoned demands made by Jews on housekeeping and room service personnel at the camp.
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dr. Ted Baehr
    Monday, May 19, 2003
    Recently, the New York Times ran a featured article by Christopher Noxon in the prestigious New York Times Magazine entitled "Is the Pope Catholic ... Enough?" (March 9, 2003)
    This article, which was listed as news on the New York Times Web site, dripped with sarcasm as it sliced and diced Mel Gibson for directing a movie on the last 24 hours of Jesus' life entitled "The Passion." The article was pointedly aimed at poisoning people's attitude about Mel's movie "The Passion" and about Mel himself.

On March 11, 2003, Fox News concluded that "Sunday's New York Times Magazine didn't do a heck of a lot for Mel Gibson. In fact, there's a good chance it may have wiped out his career."

Mr. Noxon's article was so biased and inaccurate that I felt I should respond even though I am a Christian, but not a Roman Catholic, and even though I have heard that Mel Gibson does not support our efforts to redeem the values of the mass media of entertainment through our Annual Movieguide Faith & Values Awards Gala and Report to Hollywood, where we have awarded his movies with several Crystal Movieguide Awards year after year going back to his version of "Hamlet."

The article opens by painting Mel as the leader of "a group of conspiracy-minded Catholics, mystics, monarchists and disaffected conservatives - including a seminary dropout and rabble-rousing theologist who also happens to be Mel Gibson's father."

This should have been phrased more accurately that Mel is supporting a church for Catholics who share a love for the Latin Mass, vibrant Christian faith, traditional values and remnant theology.

Mr. Noxon goes on to say that the Mass will be "conducted entirely in Latin." "Latin, however, is just the beginning - traditionalists refrain from eating meat on Fridays, and traditionalist women wear headdresses in church."

In other words, these believers prefer the Latin Mass, which is beautiful; fasting, which is biblical; and hats, though Mr. Noxon makes it sound as if these are some strange group of natives who like "headdresses" (really!).

The next line is a hoot: "The movement seeks to revive an orthodoxy uncorrupted by the theological and social changes of the last 300 years or so." Every revival is an attempt to get back to basics. In many ways, this sounds like a good idea.

Then Mr. Noxon quotes a book entitled "The Smoke of Satan," by sociology professor Michael W. Cuneo, to cover a large leap into pure presumption and defamation.

According to the quote, Mr. Cuneo contends that traditionalists "would like nothing more than to be transported back to Louis XIV's France or Franco's Spain, where Catholicism enjoyed an unrivaled presidency over cultural life and other religions existed entirely at its beneficence."

The inference, of course, is that this is what Mel wants, but Mr. Noxon has not asked Mel if this is what he wants. Rather, Mr. Noxon has unfairly associated Mel with the horrendous "Smoke of Satan" and Louis XIV's France. This is bias in the extreme.

But it gets worse.

Mr. Noxon then turns to smearing Mel's 84-year-old father, Hutton, whom he calls "a well-known author and activist who has railed against the Vatican for more than 30 years." His most scathing attack on Mel's elderly father noted that Hutton Gibson dismisses "historical accounts that six million Jews were exterminated." Of course, Noxon quotes Hutton Gibson's views without providing any evidence that Mel Gibson shares them.

Finally, Mr. Noxon turns to Mel's movie project "The Passion" and suggests that it will inflame anti-Semitic feelings. Mr. Noxon "reports" that "a friend of the Gibson family has his own ideas about how traditionalist thought is informing `The Passion.' Gary Giuffre, a founder of the traditionalist St. Jude Chapel in Texas, says Gibson told him about his plans for `The Passion' on a recent visit. . It will graphically portray the intense suffering of Christ, perhaps as no film has done before. . Most important, he says, the film will lay the blame for the death of Christ where it belongs . which some traditionalists believe means the Jewish authorities who presided over his trial and delivered him to the Romans to be crucified."

After insinuating that the movie is anti-Semitic, Mr. Noxon admits, in a nod to civility that shows how unbalanced his writing is: "In his conversation with Bill O'Reilly ..., Gibson was asked whether his account might particularly upset Jews. `It may,' he said. `It's not meant to. I think it's meant to just tell the truth. I want to be as truthful as possible. But when you look at the reasons why Christ came, why He was crucified . He died for all mankind and He suffered for all mankind. So that, really, anyone who transgresses has to look at their own part or look at their own culpability.' "

Mr. Noxon may not understand what Mel is saying, but all of us bear the responsibility for the death of Jesus, since He died for our sins and was resurrected to guarantee us eternal life in the Kingdom of God.

To add insult to injury, Mr. Noxon sets Mel's fellow Catholics against him by reporting "that Gibson made a . scathing attack against the Vatican, calling it a `wolf in sheep's clothing,' " even though Mr. Gibson has consulted the Vatican about the movie of Jesus Christ and travels frequently to Rome to confer on theological details.

Fox News concluded on its Web site: "Sunday's New York Times Magazine didn't do a heck of a lot for Mel Gibson. In fact, there's a good chance it may have wiped out his career."

However, the words of Gamaliel 2,000 years ago in Acts 5:38-39 (NIV) sound more accurate when he stood up in the Sanhedrin and said: "Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."

Mr. Noxon may want to consider the words of Gamaliel as he rails against Mr. Gibson, "The Passion" and the other Christians who have the courage to proclaim their beliefs in the mass media of entertainment.

Moreover, he may want to consider that the world needs more movies about Jesus Christ, who loved mankind so much that he was willing to die for those who set themselves against him as his enemies.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bullzeye
    quote:Originally posted by Txs

And that bit of prideful stupidity right there will be his undoing.

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp

Honouring you farther is "prideful stupidity"? I hardly thinkso. So his farther has views of, what is called, the holocost is wrong. He is ingnorant and wrong minded. But I must acknowledge the Mel Gibson shows strength of character in not bringing what must be a very painful part of his life before the media.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    edited November -1
    From what I understand Mel Gibson's father is somewhat of a "nut case" and eccentric. I have a cousin that is a "traditionalist Catholic" and will only attend Latin Masses. He is a normal person and does not believe in any of these crazy things that Mel Gibson's father expouses.

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    This type of interview is rediculous anyway, How old is his father?

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:And that bit of prideful stupidity right there will be his undoing.
    #IV Honor your Father and your Mother.
    Whats so hard to understand?
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm afraid I must claim membership and join the ranks of the "pridefully stupid" as well - I would not speak out against my father either, even if he was senile and rambling.

Besides, holding Mel Gibson accountable for the actions of his father doesn't make sense, nor does he have any obligation of any sort to speak out against him. But that is, in effect, what some of "you all" and "they" are saying.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    C'mon you Christians--remember that phrase in your bible: "The sins of the father shall be visited to the 5th generation."[;)]

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    19 "Yet you ask, 'Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?' Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. 20 The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him.

Ezekial 18:19-20

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Mel Gibson has made it very clear that his fathers views are not his. He says he loves his father, but his religious convictions are his own and should not be confused with his fathers. At the same time, he has said that he loves his father very much, and will not critisize him for his beliefs. This is not the first time the senior Gibson has stepped off in it with his views.

I'll go see Mel's film.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    Mel Gibson has made it very clear that his fathers views are not his.

I haven't heard anything of the sort. Please post a quote.

Thus far, all I've seen is a man who when confronted with a direct question about his father's denial of the Holocaust, refused to "speak against his father".

To me, that means "I don't disagree with him strongly enough to publically say he's wrong."

feinstein2.bmp
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Like father, like son. Etc. Believing that the holocaust didn't exist is not necessarily a religious belief. Gibson has also stated that he wanted to return to the religious doctrines of his youth after some wild years in Hollywood. All of this hype is going to make for good box office returns. I say leave Mel's old dad alone, Mel is doing just fine on his own stirring up controversy while promoting his movie.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bullzeye
    I haven't heard anything of the sort. Please post a quote

Go back and get a transcript from the Diane Sawyer interview a week or so ago. He got very outspoken and direct with her when she tried to push him on his father views. He made it very clear to me.[;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:To me, that means "I don't disagree with him strongly enough to publically say he's wrong."

Dang Bullz...You really don't get it, do you? The man loves his father! What's so hard about that! I love my father. Do I agree with everything he says and does? Nope. He doesn't agree with me totally either. Heck, my dad told me a couple weeks ago that he just didn't see the need for us "regular" folks to own AR's and AK's and all those other "evil" guns. We talked about it, but I didn't get my feathers in a hackle over it. He's my father! He's pushing 80, and to set in his ways for me to change him. I just LOVE him and go on. To hell with Mel Gibson having to defend or deny or "take up for" anything his father says. He loves him! Get it yet?? IT'S HIS FATHER FOR GOSH SAKES!

Go back to shooting up trees with your Mosin, or playing with the "inadequte" rifle the Army issued you.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winchester-mutt
    He's my father...and to set in his ways for me to change him. I just LOVE him and go on.

Thank you for that.

Jeffrey Dahmer, Jr.
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    The credentials of both Mel and the senior Gibson in historicism and all matters of divinity are impeccable. If anyone should know the facts about the crucifixion or the holocost, these two men should. It is therefore not surprising that they are now collaborating on a new movie titled The Passion of Auschwitz, which examines the unreasoned demands made by Jews on housekeeping and room service personnel at the camp.
    Oye Vey, now that is rich! Ya nutty Mensch!![:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    He didn't say that the Nazis never exterminated any Jews. He said he didn't think they killed 6,000,000 of 'em and neither do I. He sure as hell has a right to his opinion.

And why is ol' Mel and his dad taking such a thrashing in the media? And why has Mel been taking such a thrashing over a movie that nobody has seen yet? Because the Jews control the media and they're afraid the movie will put them in a bad light. You know, it could even accuse them of having something to do with the death of Christ.[:p]

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    The Turks would not let David Lean film any of Laurence of Arabia in Turkey, and strongly protested the movie. Similar thing.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    sorry low, I disagree. I think that the Number could be real. No one really knows, and possibly never will. Where it could be realistic is not the direct slaughter, but the collateral deaths from starvation, disease, etc, that the Jew suffered as a result of the Riech. ant any rate, 1 was too many. As for people automatically connecting Mel with his father, the phrase 'ad hominem'(the man') applies. we all have that one relative that we just don't quite now how to admit to having. Regardless of what Religous genre Gibson subscribes to, the fact remains that he took the Biblical account of the Crucifixion and made what many consider to be an 'accurate' depiction of the events that transpired. What his film does is transcends all the sects, and gets to the Root of the Christian faith. Hey if it has a message, And unites people of different Faiths, then what is the harm. I think the major problem that people have is denial that it happened. 'If it didn't happen in my mind, Then I am pretty much released from any convictions that it may stir in my life." Also, I don't think that the 'jews control' of the media is really as big an issue. The sad truth, is that, Anything publically 'Christian', is becoming taboo, and everything from Gay marriage, to partial birth abortions, to whatever, is ok. I think that the gay movement in entertainment is becoming far more prevalent and controlling than what the Jewish angle is. It's called 'desensitization. just my opinion, I could be wrong. quote:Originally posted by Lowrider
    He didn't say that the Nazis never exterminated any Jews. He said he didn't think they killed 6,000,000 of 'em and neither do I. He sure as hell has a right to his opinion.

And why is ol' Mel and his dad taking such a thrashing in the media? And why has Mel been taking such a thrashing over a movie that nobody has seen yet? Because the Jews control the media and they're afraid the movie will put them in a bad light. You know, it could even accuse them of having something to do with the death of Christ.[:p]

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
    edited November -1
    Estimates of jews killed in the Holocaust somewhere between 5 and 6 million. Mel Gibson's father sounds like some king of a nut case. But Mel is right in not talking about his father. Most sons would not say anything bad about their father if they were eccentric.

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Whose estimates? Simon Wiesenthal's?