In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Attorney David T. Hardy on U.S. v Emerson Gun Case

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Attorney David T. Hardy on U.S. v Emerson Gun CaseOctober 16, 2001On a very quick read:Emerson clearly holds that the second amendment is an individual right, and rejects the "collective rights" nonsense. It is the most detailed circuit court opinion I have ever seen, on any issue whatsoever. The court went back and did its own original research, rather than citing to law reviews, which is astonishing.... no wonder it took so long to write the opinion! And, instead of just citing Miller, it went back and read the briefs in that case to determine just what the Court really ruled upon. None of this is easy work for a court to undertake. It's virtually reconstructed the entire second amendment debate, not taking anyone's word on anything.The court does uphold the statute--but doesn't do so with a proclamation that any "reasonable regulation" will do. Rather, it says that any restriction of the right must involve a narrow rule that leaves intact the general principle that the citizenry (apart from felons, etc.) may be armed. But since it upheld the statute, the only one who can take it to the Supremes will be Emerson himself--technically, he lost, even if with a remarkable opinion on the second amendment. http://www.keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=view&articleid=2064

Comments

• Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey1 -Again, thank you for your posts. This one was especially valuable for it's link (downstream) to the text of the actual decision. I am printing it out as I write - all 55 pages.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    David T. Hardy is the man.Anybody read his book "This Is Not An Assault"?This guy really does his homework.
    She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.