In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Drug test question

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
First off let me say i am 100% anti-drug and i work for a state
government and always get random tested,Last night i went to see a local metal band play at a Bar and as the band was playing there
were a few dirt bags smoking weed in the tight crowd, i was wondering if the second hand smoke would show up in my next drug screening.
I was told that for you to fail a drug test you had to actualy
use the junk to get it into your system and some time around people doing it would not get you in trouble. do i have to worry? because if i get in trouble i will have to find and deal with these dopers[:(!]

use_deer.jpg

Comments

• bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Yes, as far as I know it could show up. But, only if you are tested in the next 7 days. Even if you actually smoked it last night[;)] it would be out of your system in 7 days.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Don't worry about it. I would be careful bad mouthing dopers though. Rumor has it that if you get them on your bad side they'll sneak into your kitchen and eat your Twinkies.
    Ben
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    deerhntr,

Who'd ya go see?

You know I've pondered that question many times myself. I used to do quite a bit of concert going and used to run into this all the time. It's a good question.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to manage some large operations that were DOT regulated and send everyone to the drug tests. I've been to alot of schools on this stuff and heard every excuse(good and bad)you can dream of at one time or another.--- The answer is yes it could show up if you inhaled enough,depending on your body size and how soon you are tested.I saw a guy once who rode in a car with some people that were smoking pot for a few hours to another town.They all said he was not smoking any and only drinking beer.His random test came up the next day and he failed.I'm sure he got concentrated amounts confined in the vehicle.If you were just able to smell it across the room I doubt you inhaled enough to show up...........Good luck...........[8]
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The drug that is in weed can show up in your system with second hand smoke. There are drug test kits you can purchase to test your self. Be safe do not be sorry. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are that worried about it, there is a product(at least there was a product) called "SOMME 7"(might be "somee"). Take a couple of tablespoons of that a day for a couple of days and you will pass a marijuana screening. I used to keep a bottle of that stuff in my cabinet during my young and wild days.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gbeggrow, it was a local Motorhead cover band they did a Killer
    ace of spades[:D], as for my question it was just in the air
    and i caught no effects from it, But i have a lot at stake and am concern.The bars and clubs here in new York are For the most part
    Drug free but there are always a few nuckle heads that slip through.

use_deer.jpg
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mother is a nurse so I asked her and she said that it MAY show up if you take a test right after it happens - like a couple of days. But it does not stay as long as if you inhaled.

Be responsible
    Be intelligent
    Be REPUBLICAN
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    I'm the so-called drug testing officer where I work. And we do at least random 10 people per month.
    For urine test the cutoff for pot is 50nanograms per mililiter on drug testing.
    I doubt that limited casual 2nd hand pot smoke will hit the cutoff point after a couple of days, unless you were in a small area with them for a prolonged period of time or smoked any.
    Now if the test comes back over 51ng, your in trouble, but I doubt it from your statement.
    Blood & hair falicule testing is differant story, but again I see any problems with passing any of these test either with limited casual exposure.
    Walte
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, without a doubt it will show up! Depending how much you were exposed to, it will stay in your system from 3 days to two weeks.
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    same goes with poppy seeds on hamburger buns..to take my pre employment drug test for my leo job,i had to stay away from any burgers with seeds for 30 days prior to the testing...will show positive for opium..trace amounts..but still a positive

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    The active ingredient in pot can stay in the fatty tissues UP TO 45 DAYS. However, with the small amount you were exposed to there should be no worry.

Hair follicle test usually average 3-4 months. Any test of value will not show positives for only trace amounts, although it is still measurable.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Listen to the attorney. Random drug testing is a clear violation of a person's right to self-incrimination. If your boss has reason to believe you are impaired by alcohol or drugs, that is one thing. Just picking somebody at random is wrong and creates a climate of fear in the workplace. Deerhnter is worried about his job even though he did nothing wrong. That's just not right. I'm not saying that drugs are ok, but, who benefits the most from a random drug testing policy?
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    woodshermit: how right you are. I used to take the position that since I only do alchol I don't care about the radom drugs tests we have at my place of employment. But after thinking about your comment the drug test are kindof llike a random DUI police check point and we had a long and heated discussion right here on GB.com and many people (including me) were against the random DUI checkpoints.

The reasons being basically, and now this applies to my thinking about random drug tests at work, IF I AM NOT PERCEIVED TO BE DOING ANYTHING WRONG, LEAVE ME THE HE!! ALONE!

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The trouble with testing is that there are variables. So I don't think anyone can rule out that a trace could show up in somebody's drug test without knowing how fine the test is set to cut it. That means staying away from the pot-filled concerts, if you want to guarantee your job. The trouble is, as has been alluded to above, once you DO test positive, the judgment will be that you might be an addict, and as we all know, addicts lie to protect their habits. There's an old but true joke that goes: "What's the difference between an alcoholic and an addict? Answer: The alcoholic will steal your wallet -- but the addict will steal your wallet, then come back and help you look for it." This is funny, but also painfully insightful.

So once your test positive, expect that whatever you say will be greeted with a heavy dose of suspicion, as much as they might like to believe you. You will be guilty until proven innocent.

It's far easier not to set off the alarm. And that means avoiding closed rooms where others are indulging. IMHO. I don't think there is any certain way around it. Workplaces have a right to employ drug-free people. People aren't only warped when they're high -- the personality change lasts 24/7. That's why "my kids never saw me loaded" is such an empty rationalization, among many others. [:(]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    it shouldnt show up in your system.but if your scared about it drink alot of water and cranberry juice.also a vitiman called niacin you can take and it will clean out your system.just keep on peeing until it is so clear.about a gallon of water should do the trick.i have some friends who smoke and that is what they do before a test.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I guess the next time I hire somebody I will have the right to monitor people's driving habits since they might speed or have an accident while driving the company vehicle. I won't hire you either if you say a curse word in the workplace because that might lead to a lawsuit. I won't hire you if you are woman because you might get pregnant and take a time off. Do you have an elderly parent, not gonna hire you, suppose you need to take care of them? What, you visited Gunbroker.com; you might bring a gun to work and shoot me. Let's say deerhnter does happen to test positive for pot. He must be impaired and should be fired. The drug-testing thing is just another Big Brother tactic. Anybody wonder why Bush didn't take that physical when he was in the Guard?
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    If you are that worried about it, there is a product(at least there was a product) called "SOMME 7"(might be "somee"). Take a couple of tablespoons of that a day for a couple of days and you will pass a marijuana screening. I used to keep a bottle of that stuff in my cabinet during my young and wild days.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man

You have to be careful with taking something that masks the drugs in your system. I know a guy, I did call him a friend at one time, that took a "Masking agent" this showed up in his system and he lost his job.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having a commercial truck license subjects me to "randoms" all the time.It used to piss me off until i figured out i was getting 2hrs of overtime for each test. After 26yrs of testing clean, you would think they would give it up. I think it's a good idea in the warehouse, i don't care to have a 2 ton pallet dropped on me because some stoner got a buzz at lunch. What you do on your own time is your business, but don't bring it to work with you.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I hate pee tests in all but the most sensitive of professions. These drug tests are a violation of my Constitutional right to privacy, etc.

Problem is, "Hey, you want the job, you submit." And that is their right as the business owner.

I started my own business in a large part because of these types of insulting invasions of privacy. Not because I have anything to hide (I've passed 'em all) but because they are degrading and an insult to me as a human being.

What next, pee test to see if you are genetically inclined toward cancer? Can't have people with cancer on the corporate health plan...

If I'm doing the job you hired me to do, then why don't YOU piss in a cup?!

[:(!]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Well, one could make up unlimited examples of how in this or that particular case, random drug sampling is a good thing because of one reason or another. But frankly the same logic could be used (and often is) by the anti-gun people who don't think the common citizen should have the freedom to own something as
    "potentially dangerous as a gun." They claim their position is fair because even though the vast majority of gun owners haven't exhibted dangerous behavior, those citizens COULD become dangerous at any moment. And to that I say allow me my gun rights and only until IF AND WHEN I start to show signs of not being a lawful citizen regarding gun ownership, leave me alone!

Forget for a moment we are discussing illegal drug useage and influence. The authors of the random drug test are in effect saying that even though they have no evidence showing otherwise, they are compelling you to provide reasons (a clean test) of why you truly are not breaking the law. Not the same of course, but kind of like the police hauling you into court for no cause and forcing you, under the threat of punishment, to take a test showing that you have not been breaking the law. Again, if I am living my life without sign of being a lawbreaker, leave me alone.

Almost all of us have to work to live, so it is not an option to avoid employment if we don't agree with the employer's drug testing. Which by the way, maybe you have been an excellent employee for 20 years and suddenly your employer institutes random drug testing. If you don't agree with that stricty on prinicpal, are you just supposed to quit? Besides, if we so willinging accept random drug testing, what is next, random psychological tests in order to keep your job? Psychological tests are already required to get many jobs (I have taken them for my job) so why not follow the lead of the random drug testing and now have random psychological tests? Or better yet, what about your employer having investigtors interview your neighbors on a random basis to see if you are living a lifestyle that your employer approves of? Every 3 years the FBI checks me out so why not do that for every working person?

BTW my employer requires random drug testing and I have had the same job for 9 years so rest assured that I do not do or support illegal drug use.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."