In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just threw away $2,500 in the trash-Gone!

IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Here at work we have a bunch of pack rats allways bring junk back. "I'm going to take it home", which never happens. Then I have a warehouse full of "junky trash".
Well, we had a customer special order a $2,500 control head for their deep fryer.
The tech on Tuesday took it out to the customer, and was to busy for us to install it.
The tech brought the part back as I cleaning out the warehouse of "I'll take it home junk". The tech told me "Why don't you take this" and I did. Directly to the dumpster, well it would not fit in the dumpster so I crushed it with the forklift, then put it in the dumpster.
The trash company emptied the dumpster on Wednesday, so its gone.
Then about 10 minutes ago, the tech asked where I put the control head, I told him I put it in the dumpster like he told me to.

Well thats $2,500 down the drain & will take another 3 weeks to order a replacement.

Monday will be exciting for me, to explain to the company owner I just cost him $2,500.

Oh well....Crap!
Walte [V]

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UH-OH! Hey Blame it on the clone!
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell the owner it failed QC, so you actually saved him a lawsuit. If he asks you what failed, say it couldn't withstand rated crush force. If he asks more details after that, start looking for another job.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Good luck.If I were you I`d get drunk tonight,then spend saturday working on a resume.Sunday should be spent in prayer...all day.I`ll be thinking of you monday morning.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Just told the General Manager (son-in-law of owner) what I did. He did not seem to upset.
    Then again I'm close to the company owner and put in alot of hours, anywhere from 60-115hrs a week for a 40hr week paycheck.
    I think in the worse case, I might get yelled at a little bit. Dont think they would fire me, this is just minor compared to what some others have done.
    Like one tech did, burning down a McDonalds, from bad electrical repairs.
    We will see...
    Aint worried..
    Walte having a Friday the 13th, for real..
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Everyone makes mistakes. (not that you made a mistake) If you are a good employee, and the business is any size at all, you will be fine.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't point fingers in this situation, but the tech was the one entrusted with the $2,500 part and knew what it was, not you. I would think it to be his fault for not communicating with you and frankly his bowels ought to be the ones having a bit of discomfort at this time. Logical conclusion to trash something you're handed when your emptying the trash. I've had employees who did similar things - granted I was just not the owner - but "stuff" happens and if I were the boss, 90+% of my anger would be directed elsewhere, with possibly just a little bit of "why didn't you double check first?" directed at you. I think you will be OK. Hope so.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Be honest and tell the owner exactly what happened, everything should be fine.

Not that this was as much $$ wise, but I'll tell ya anyways. I got a brand new scope for a Ruger super redhawk and had it sitting on the shelf above the trash can. Well the trash guys came and left and after a few hours I realized my scope was gone. That night I was at the trash company going through the trash truck from our route looking for my scope. Didn't find it and the experience sucked. Some say I'm a cheap *, but wouldn't anyone search through trash for a scope???

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are the chances it was damaged in shipping [;)]
    Just kidding-

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I agree with "Iconoclast". A tech does not hand over a $2,500.00 piece of equipment without instructions or explanation. A simple "tag" on the item would have cleared the air.
    **What the heck are you giving away 600 to 2000 hours of work a year away for free for? None of my business, but that's a lot of income (9,000.00 to 30,000.00+) a year? Wish my worker would "donate" his time.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    In the 80's I threw away a large gold-plated wire lamp frame, cost the Co. $1000.
    It was boxed up, next to the trash. Any of us could have tossed it. Besides, it looked like a defunct display rack without the glass trim installed.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    As off 11am - Not a peep from the owner or General Manager on the loss of the $2,500 control head. My stomach has been torn up all weekend over this lil gig.
    Its time for reviews, this month, guess I can kiss that one good bye. Did not expect any more $ anyway, as I'm pretty much maxed out compared to the others.
    As for the hours that I put in, Last year I got a $8,000 Christmas bonus,after taxes, which kind of offsets the long hours (freebie's) that I put. Dont think this will effect the Xmas bonus, more than likely they will have forgotten the matter by that time.
    Walte....
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    It sounds like your company is ready for a training course on "communications". The company I use to work for bought a training program and made us all take it. It taught us how to communicate with each other so the people would understand how to pass information to each other. It is apparent that the tech did not communicate effectively with you as to what he wanted you to do with the control head. It can get expensive if both parties in a conversation do not really understand each other. "When I nod my head, you hit it".
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    OOUCH!

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."