In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Where The He!! Did This Idea Come From??

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
You know, the idea that is now so widely accepted. If you awake at night and find a burglar walking down your hall headed for your bedroom where you and your wife were just sleeping, you had better be DAMN careful how you react to that burglar. If at all possible you and your family had better flee like rabbits to some safe place in your house, hide from the burglar and call 9-1-1. Because if you don't do all in your power to avoid a confrotation with that ILLEGAL INTRUDER and happen to shot him/her then you might not only be put in jail but sued by the burglar or his/her estate. How did this sad state of affairs come about? It sure wasn't voted on by me! I feel that if someone choses to violate your home, for example, then whatever they get they deserve.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let them break into my house. We will worry about what they try to do to me later.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Options
    wapo3030wapo3030 Member Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Gods Country (South Carolina) we drop them
    in the hallway. No questions asked. (Thanks David Beasley)
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live way out in the country, half a mile to the nearest neighbor, another half mile to the next neighbor.
    If the scenario you mention should happen here, I swear I would be tempted to take the bullet scarred remains for a 15 mile ride in the bed of the Nissan and shove it off the river bridge.
    I doubt the guy told neighbors and friends what he was doing/where he was going that night.
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Maybe in Kansas,
    not here in Texas! [;)]
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If someone broke into my House,
    which half of that person would sue me?
    The Bottom half or Top half,
    after I shoot them to peices? [:D] [:D] [8D]

hsas157x100.gif
    sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not in Louisiana just call the man they'll drag off what left and the statement will read like this I feared for my life and the safety of my family. Also he kept reaching for what looked like a gun

psalms 16
  • Options
    SkipVanSkipVan Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not in Colorado. Anyone breaking into your house, including being on the porch, is fair game if they present a threat. In a recent case,
    a person broke the windows next to a front door with a baseball bat and was shot through the door with a shgotgun. No charges were filed aganst the shooter. The law is called by the lefty press the "make my day" law.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In VA.you have the right to protect your self and family dureing a home invasion,but dont shoot the perp if he is trying to flee.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Ohio We DO NOT! have a duty to retreat in our homes.
    We do have a duty to retreat outside our homes.
    In your scenerio, If I felt my life or a family members life was in danger, I would shoot until there is no longer a threat.
    If that is fact in your state I would see what could be done to make change immediately!

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not even sure what the law is here in Missouri but, to be honest, I don't care what it is. Anyone breaks into my house they are going to be shot repeatedly until there is no more movement. I have a wife, kids and one on the way, and will not take any chance of them being harmed in any way!!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thank the left wingers and LAWYERS for this, A poor misquided burgerlar, just wants to steal your stuff, so rather than shoot the scum bag that wants to take what you busted your butt earning, ya walk away and let em take it. Then when He gets caught he gets a slap on the wrist, and you still lost your stuff. After all it was his mothers fault for him wanting to steal. Or he was a fat little kid and the kids teased him in school, there are a million excuses that the lawyers use to take the responsibility from these scum bags,.

I for one dont want to wake up with one of em in my house, cause, ifn I get off a shot, He will be one dead intruder. Cause ifn he is in my house with me in it, I figure he intends to hurt me and mine.

undrgd.gifnewyear.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    T.R., That's a good question. Where the he!! did you come up with it?
    The last I heard anyone could sue anyone. Unless somethings different over there on the border I still think it's permissible to shoot an intruder. Or at least that's the way it will be here. [xx(]

How does your new SKS shoot? [:)]

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    spinyspiny Member Posts: 3,117
    edited November -1
    I believe that so long as I don't shoot him in the back, ie he was retreating, then everything is co-posetic (sp really bad on that one!)
    Coming my way? Have some lead.[}:)]
    One female against one or ten intruders, should be ok.

spiny
    'not all who wander are lost'
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make my day.......I live in Colorado. [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Where are these very general, pot-stirring, questions coming from? How about some specifics? In which states are the laws written as you describe? Each state's laws differ with respect to situations like this so exactly what are you asking?

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been awakened several times in the middle of the night and found Robert Downey, Jr. passed out on my couch.
  • Options
    sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I,,sodbuster,,being of somewhat sound mind and body,,do hearby bequest(is that the right word?) all of the acreage and inhabitants of the fine County of Kansas,, so named Johnson County,, to the Great State of Missouri!![^]

,,,[}:)]sod

p.s.,,,[;)]

cyclone.gifdemandbeeftag.jpg
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    It's a no brainer!!! Dead men tell no tales!!![^]

paboogerani3.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIRS - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pickenup....where in Co? im in the Denver area.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I hear folks say that you should be careful how you deal with an intruder, but I tend to be of the mind that if they are in my house threatening my family, he/she is a dead man/woman. Who's signature is it that says, "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"?

aliens.jpg
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know where you got the idea any more than you do. I haven't seen any such thing in print, on TV, or anywhere else. Maybe you are mistaken?

If someone breaks into a residence in the middle of the night, and the owner is sure it isn't one of his own kids coming home later than permitted, I'd say he has the right to defend himself without giving away his meager advantage by either a) turning on a light to see whether the guy is facing him or has his back turned, let alone b) asking him if he's armed, a black belt, hopped up on PCP, or otherwise an imminent physical danger to you and yours. I think one can safely assume that an intruder bold and stupid enough to enter an occupied home is willing to incapacitate the occupants if he gets a chance -- giving the residents the right to stop the intrusion as soon as the perp crawls indoors -- and then call 911.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpg Life Member - fortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been told that's the way it is here in Ca. And I suppose I would comply, after I ran out of ammunition.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    What offeror said is the way it works in Georgia.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • Options
    3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where in the he!! did you get an idea like that[?][?][?][?][?][?]

"Have a gun that works every time. All skill is in vein when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Texas.

If we don't kill 'em, the State will...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    drop them and then drag them into the house and finish them there if the first shot didn't do it[}:)]. I think I have only heard of one case ever that this crazy scenario actually happened.

Hey Classic095 -- it ain't lawyers bub, it is the jury of peers which make those crazy rules and a judge who is without the moxy to throw the case out before it ever gets to the jury. Frivilous lawsuits may start with lawyers, but it is judges and jurys that allow them to end in a wacko way.[B)]
  • Options
    SilentKnightSilentKnight Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is how its handled in Texas:

Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. It looks like hes still alive, better make sure. "drop, click, rack" Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Drag them in the house and finish them off? Can you spell:

P - R - I - S - O - N ?

Modern forensic evidence can prove what actually happened. Dead intruders CAN testify against you in court !!

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Hey Rebel James, I was only joking sorry if you took me serious. It is an old joke, but you are right about prison. In realty you can use deadly force ONLY when threatened with deadly force. The issue changes from state to state depending on whether it is a subjective or objective standard for the state you are in. It is too confusing for judges, jurys, lawyers and common folk trying to defend themselves and their loved ones. Simple rules don't seem to follow in complex split second decisions. After thought and arm chair quarterbacking the next morning is easy. However, if you are threatened with deadly force there is not a lot of time to weight the options. My hope is I never have to shoot in anger or fear.

Most states DO NOT allow deadly force to be used in defense of property. That is almost a given universal rule. That is why some unarmed burglers have gotten away with the lawsuits. They were not threatening deadly force just trying to steal you blind as you stand by and watch.

You were right to jump on me on this one.
  • Options
    3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fox:
    You actually heard of this being common practice somewhere? Or are you just doing a little fishing to heat up the keyboards?

"Have a gun that works every time. All skill is in vein when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    allen_griggs--Why go through all that work and risk the evidence? That's why God created BOARS [}:)][:D]

I'm kidding of course.....
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Here in KY drop them in their tracks and make sure they are dead. As the Sherrif told me and my uncle who is the county coroner stated, less paper work on a dead person for the law but more for the coroner. The coroner has to earn his pay check sometime! Me shooting someone in my home is the least of his troubles, my 3 dogs get first chance and being one stands tall enough on her hind legs to reach a 6 foot mans throat, I believe he will be begging me to kill him just to get some relief![}:)]

God protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies...
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    A LEO freind of mine told me years ago(and it's probably different now),that if they come in the front door and I kill'em,to drag'em out the back door and it's all right.
    Anyway,inside,outside,it won't matter if it happens at my place.
    There's enough wild hogs just down the road to devour any evidence in a few hours![;)]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    I've been told that's the way it is here in Ca. And I suppose I would comply, after I ran out of ammunition.

R/

Dave

Not really. California law says that you can be presumed to be in fear for you life if an intruder enters your home in the middle of the night and that you may use deadly force to defend yourself. You may not, however, shoot the intruder if he tries to flee.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Shoot first ask questions later. If you are sued you countersue. His family, the legal system (if he has a previous record),his psycologist or anyone else that might have had any influence or ideas of what he was capable of. If criminals are allowed to and know they can, enter the home of a gunowner and not get shot they will become more agressive and the property owner truely will be in danger. Does this mean that if an intruder enters a home to rape a woman she can not kill him. After all his intent was not to endanger her life only to violate it. the problem is the jurys seem to made up of bleeding liberals who believe in entitlement.
  • Options
    landjetlandjet Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Intruders are open season here in SC. They don't even really have to get inside either.
  • Options
    SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sodbuster - you can keep JOCO KS...we already have our own Johnson county here in mighty MO. It's a poor county and sparsely populated, but I wouldn't trade it for all those rich idiots on the other side of state line.

tr fox - is this a news story out of the KC Metro area?

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • Options
    redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Middle of the night or day an intruder will pay! Come in my house uninvited and leave in a body bag.

powder_solvent.JPG

Oh Hoppe's No. 9 you are so fine.

I need to get me some more of those bullet propulsion devices.

One shot, one kill, 29 more for the thrill.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Sorry folks, I wasn't trying to stir things up just for fun. I don't presently have any specific case of a homeowner shooting a burglar and then getting in trouble, but over the years I have kind of "unoffically" kept a mental log of many, many media stories about seemingly innocent homeowners getting into hot water just for using deadly force in defending their home and family. And a record of second hand comments from peoplewho have taken a police sponsered defense course in which the police have warned the innocnet homeowner to be very, very careful in how they go about using force in defending their home. And of course there have been several strories about thelocal police getting sued and had to worry about the prosecutor filing criminal charges on them for using deadly force that in my mind and from reading the story the police did the right thing. And my point is that if the police can get into trouble even when they are innocent then a homeowner sure as heck could get into trouble. I don't feel too bad about my post because my intentions were honest and it is not like anyone is forced to read any particular post. But it probably would have been better if I had a particular incident to have used as an example.

Wundudnee: I LOVE that SKS! The fun of shooting it and the cheap ammo that it uses is worth many, many times more than the $89.95 I paid for it.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I shot my intruder, the cops just looked to make sure I had no way of escaping the threat. When they were satisfied that the perp was between me and the bedroom door, they said: "No problem." And began checking out my "tricked out" Commander.
    That was in VA. Law's the same here in WV.

Mudge the "shooter"

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>