In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Me & Aimsurplus VS SOG

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Got a story to tell. If it reflects badly on South Ohio Guns (SOG) it is because I am just reporting the facts.

In the last few months I have finally noticed how inexpensive and fun it is to purchase WWII military surplus guns and ammo. Man, compared to buying new retail like I have all my life, this is like getting FREE GUNS!. But on two different orders from SOG, for a total of 6 guns, I have only kept one and returned the rest because they were in such poor condition (even considering their age) that to me the were nothing but junk. And the only reason I kept the one was because I thought with harsh chemicals I could get the bore clean (I finally did) and the fact that my local FFL holder, who works out of his house, doesn't make any money if I order guns on the internet, have them shipped to his house, and then I decide to send them all back. And this FFL holder is a GREAT guy. Only charges $15.00 per transfer for ANY gun purchase and I can online shop anywhere, place my order giving his FFL info and then just be sure and tell him what to look for in regards to deliveries comeing to him.

So first I had ordered 3 of the $39.00 Mosin Nagants and one $159.00 + $10.00 hand pick English Enfield .303 Jungle Carbine. The Mosins were advertised as good but were actually poor. I know you can't expect much for $39.00 but SOG told me that except for a hairline crack in the stocks, they were ready to shoot. And if a company such as SOG does offer a low, low price I still should be able to expect that they won't ship me junk. No one wants junk at any price. The Enfield was advertised as good but was fair. And there were three gun guys with me that agreed with my judgement. That was a couple of weeks ago.

Last night the two Yugo M48 Mausers arrived. I paid $81.00 dollars for the milled parts version and talked with SOG and mentioned that since I had such a bad experience with the last order could they as least ship me the "very good" version of the ones they advertised as "good to very good". The lady told me they would do that. Well if I got the "very good" versions, I would hate to see the just "good versions". Both of the ones that arrived has excessive rust inside and out. The one I sent back had such rust that the FFL holder and I could not even get it cleaned out. I finally got the one I kept cleaned to the point where it will be able to be shot and hopefully the accuracy will not suffer.

If anyone thinks I am too picky, on two different orders involving 4 guns from www.aimsurplus.com I have received guns at a great price and they were as good or better than I had expected. I kept all 4 guns.

This is just a true accounting with my experience with both companies.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"

Comments

• ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the heads up..

But how do I know you're not on the inside?

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    tr fox,

Thanks for the heads up and for posting that. I've been looking at both aim and SOG after you pointed me in their direction. I've yet to order a firearm from aim but they have been very responsive with my questions (namly a fella by the name of Steve). My inked FFL is on the way to them. I've looked at SOG a bit and was considering them too but I think I'll stick with aim after your info. Thanks tr fox!
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Ruger270man: thanks for asking a good and honest question. I don't believe you really have any way to tell if I am nothing but a salesman for Aimsurplus or just a gun guy telling the truth. Oh, I guess if you have read my excessive (LOL) number of posts here HOPEFULLY I have come acrosss as, if not brilliant (he he), at least honest and sincere. So if you have any doubts (I don't blame you) at least be cautious when dealing with SOG and only order one gun at a time until you actually see the quality or post a topic here asking for stories of actual experience with SOG, etc. Or when you order from SOG make them tell you a detailed descripiton of what kind of condition you can expect the gun to be in.

My intention is not to harm the business of SOG because I don't believe them to be evil, they just seem to have a an excessively high opinion of their merchandise.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • VonflakVonflak Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks hoss,

I've been lucky so far with SOG. I've receved from them a 91/38, a MK5, a CZ52, and a pair of Victory models. The MK5 was rough but the numbers matched so I kept it.

I've been looking more and more at AIM, they do have better prices.

Jesus: Don't leave earth without him

byf
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay tr, you sound sincere enough, no SOG for me!

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    edited November -1
    OK, thanks for the "sincere" part.

• 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    sog is worthless i had problems with them also plus when you call them there customer service blows

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started purcahsing firearms from SOG nearly 20 years ago and up until the past few years I had always been pleased. Lately I have simply had too many problems with wrong items being shipped or not being as described to continue doing business with them. I have nothing but praise for AIM and have been amazed with the superior quality of the surplus fireams they are are selling as well as their friendly can-do attitude. I would NOT urge satisfied customers to abandon SOG, but I am through with them and will spend my firearms dollars elsewhere.

Mark T. Christian
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    I recently got 2 M91's from SOG that were in mint condition, all matching numbers, and excellent wood. $69 each.

I've ordered handguns from Century that were a little rough but restorable and have had no experiences with AIM yet.

I would go back to SOG again for a rifle, I've been the lucky one I guess.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SOG has a VERY crappy policy of allowing ONLY a FFL to pay for guns! What I mean is that if I want to buy an SAR Ak-47, and have it sent to a FFL who can transfer it to me (much like when you buy a gun off of gunbroker!!!!) SOG will NOT let you do this! They make the DEALER pay for it, and then you have to pay the dealer markup, and/or a transfer fee as well! I've bought guns from all over, no other dealers do this, to my knowledge.

Merc (who spends waaaaaay too much with his C&R, and would spend waaaaaaay too much if SOG allowed him to pay for his own guns!)

Insignia?

Nos nullus habitum rancidum insignia!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
    edited November -1
    Mercury: My effort at being fair to SOG, I will tell you that in my case they let me pay for the gun over the phone with my credit card and then they shipped to my local FFL holder and he did the transfer for $15.00. But SOG phoned my FFL holder and got his OK first, so that might have made a difference. But hey, with your C&R license, can't you order,pay and have most of the type of guns SOG sells shipped directly to yorr house?

• tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find my post on SOG....They certainly do have a lofty opinion of their G to VG grades..[V] Also, Aim refused my C&R order, saying they ONLY ship to class 1 FFLs...???

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    SOG has my C&R on file as does AIM
    Never had problem with SOG buyimg C&R guns.
    Order on line and they ship it me.
    Have not tried to order a C&R from AIM yet.

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
    edited November -1
    Trfox,
    Strange, they told me the complete opposite! Yes, I do have a C&R, but I wanted to buy one of the Izmesh Ak-47s from SOG.....they wouldn't let me pay for it. My FFL has a copy on file with them, too. He doesn't care, he'd let me do it, as it ties up less of his money. He isn't a "stocking" ffl, so it isn't like he will lose any money on it. His money is in the transfers.

Merc

Insignia?

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
    edited November -1
    Mercury, I give you my word of honor SOG treats me as I described. In regards to your C&R license I am not sure but I always thought a FFL license was required for an AK purchase.

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Wow, that is terrible that a wholesale distributor of firearms requires that payment be made only from LICENSED FFL DEALERS. Go try and order and pay for a WHOLESALE replacement motor for your Ford from a Ford engine distributor and see how far you get. I am so sick and tired of non licensed individuals hell bent on getting their firearms at less than 10% or zero above wholesale, just plain greedy.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • Diesel DummyDiesel Dummy Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best deal going on Mosin-Nagants right now is at www.aztecguns.com

I live @ 40 mi. from both AIM & SOG, prefer to do business with Aim - they will let you look a rifle over before you buy, SOG hands you a box your'e not supposed to open. My last trip to SOG was for two cases of Yugo 8mm. Called 24 hrs. in advance like they ask. When I went to pick it up the young lady at the window hunted around for @ 10 minutes, came back & told me: "I've got two cases of loose 8mm you can have". She aggreed to let me take a look & I found a mix of Yugo, Turk & Greek - corroded garbage & some warehouse floor sweepings. I told her that's not what I had ordered (&paid for!) if they couldn't fill my order I needed my money back. She went back & "found" to complete cases to fill my order.
    edited November -1
    interstate,
    Get your panties out of a bunch, sheesh.......

Tell me the difference between these two things:

1. I pay for the AK-47, and they send it to my dealer, and I pay him the transfer fee.

2. My dealer pays for the AK-47, and they send it to him, and then I pay him the transfer fee.

And please......SOG/AIM etc are NOT just wholesale......if they were, they wouldn't let C&R License holders buy from them. Remember, a C&R is NOT FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES!!!!!!!!

Merc

tr fox,
    Yes.....you cannot buy an AK-47 with a C&R, unless it is a VERY old AK....hehe. I've never seen any that old. :)

Insignia?

• jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Tr Fox, sorry to hear the problems you are having with SOG. I will say this though, you are not the first one I have heard complain on SOG. We have been doing business with them for many years and to be honest, they have never sent us a firearm that was not as decribed or the wrong one! We ordered several of one model revolver and did not get the handpicked ones. All were much better than expected and several were in new condition! Most if not all of SOG firearms come from Century International Arms and we order quite a bit from them as well. We have never ordered from AIM but I would not be suprised that many of the items from AIM were imported by Century as well. Have your dealer friend check out Century at:
    http://www.centuryarms.com/

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My FFL has had problems with SOG in the past, basically they wouldn't even take orders from non-FFLs. He eventually worked it out with them that they have an annotation directly on their record of him saying that he will accept any pre-paid order for transfer. No problems since then.

As for quality of merchandise, I am quite happy, even the last one, a $40 M44 Mosin-Nagant. To be fair, they warned me of cracks in the stock, and after all, what do I want for $40? So it takes a little work with sandpaper, putty, wood glue and linseed oil. Keeps me busy while the weather outside is crappy. [:D]

AIM, for me, has always been superb. The "excellent" SKS they sent me was all but unissued, a few stock dings from storage or handling, the metal was pristine. Customer service of the highest quality.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    quote:As for quality of merchandise, I am quite happy, even the last one, a $40 M44 Mosin-Nagant. To be fair, they warned me of cracks in the stock, and after all, what do I want for $40?
    Some of use weren't so lucky.

My stock (minor crack} would't be good firewood.
    The forearm so badly beat up the the bands didn't contact the wood.

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I recently contracted the surplus gun disease, too. Went to the effort to get a C&R license. Haven't had experience with AIM yet, but I don't like SOG, either. Had to send a rust-encrusted Enfield No5 back, too. I've had good luck with Centerfire Systems, though. Bought a Manurhin PP- what I got might as well have been a new gun. Not even any holster wear. Got an "excellent" Yugo SKS- same thing- might as well have been new. Spent two hours cleaning cosmoline out of it. I also like a company called Florida Ammo Traders. They have the old Russian 38 and 44 Moisin Nagants that are of really nice quality. Man, it is really nice to be able to get 3 decent shooting rifles for the price of 1 Mini-14, isn't it?

BTW, no AK is C&R eligible, unless you can find one that's at least 50 years old. That ain't happening, yet![:D]
    edited November -1
    Rocklobster: it is almost like gettig free guns.