In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Air Compressor/Pneumatic Tools Question

Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Bought a new Air Compressor and a number of quality
air tools for my shop. (7.7 cfm @ 40/ 6.5 cfm @ 90-40 gal tank/ dual cylinder belt drive)
Have in the past seen guys give the tool a shot of oil when they hook it up to the air line.
I'm wondering, for the best care of the tools if a person should
install a water trap/filter/auto oiler systems right away and do it
right.
If I purge the tank frequently to rid it of condensation,
would I need the moisture trap?
Want to do it correctly, the first time and not "Wished I would've"!
Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DIRTFOOT. Do it right the first time. install all the precautions if you have the finaces. It is worth it in the long run. If the money is not there, just drain it regular.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    depends what you are going to be doing with it, if you are planning on doing any spray painting then by all means a water trap and filter is a must , if you are just using impact or nailer , tools along those lines then its not as important but still a good idea ,, oiling the guns is something that should be done befor you use them and then if they are going to be stored for awhile give them a shot of oil before putting them away,, if you are getting oil on your hand when you are using the gun then you are useing just a tad to much oil , on the other hand running a gun dry is one of the hardest things you can do to it , and drain your tank often ,,, a well oiled tool is a happy tool [:D][:D]
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The water trap is not too critical except when painting. You'll need it then. I plumbed a ball valve and a short nipple off of my drain plug hole. Just open it slow and catch the water. That's a lot easier than taking all the air pressure off the tank and pulling the plug. Also it's a good idea to split your outlet line to two lines and put valves and a regulator on one line. I wired mine with a disconnect switch so when I'm done, I can kill the power to it without having to unplug it. Whenever I'm not using my compressor it's shut off.
    I just oil the tools when I use them and it looks like they probably will out last me.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • 625625 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use an oil that's made for pnuematic tools. Too thin an oil will help, but the right stuff makes a difference in the long run. For about $25, you can buy an oiler that connects in-line just before the tool, that will dispense the correct amount. all you have to do is fill it now and then.

"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    "USMC 2531, 8652, RVN Jun 66 - May 68"

avitar.jpg

Some of my pics
    http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/index.html