In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE......

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
Why is it when someone dies, be it natural, accidental or however...everyone says they are better off and in a better place...

THEY ARE DEAD FOR CRIPES SAKE!!!!

How do you know they are in a better place, and how do you know they are better off?...

cute_skunk.gif

Hudson.gif
Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hesus h christo, black roses....you mean you don't BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because life in death is suppose to be better than here on earth....

sometimes Im not sure if its really true. Is there a life after death? Why does it seem the good people always die to soon..and leave the scum of the earth still here living? But then I look at my children and I would like to believe that there is a better place that we will all go, and maybe the world will change before to long and become a better place with morals again and good work ethics and honesty and kindness. Hopefully I will get to see my children grow up in the world I want them to have. ( I m not really religous but I do think there has to be something more than this, there has to be )

shelly
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    Why is it when someone dies, be it natural, accidental or however...everyone says they are better off and in a better place...

Probably because it sounds better than saying they are burning for eternity in hell......

Molon Labe
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I'd say somebody was better off dead than alive if they were in terminal agony from an illness such as cancer. But I don't think they go to a better place since heaven and hell dosen't exist.

edited November -1
    They are better off and in a better place...
    because they don't have to stand there and try to think of something to say.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can understand the agony of desease, but the accidental and natural, and the murders,, I would assume those people would rather be at home with their loved ones than DEAD....But then they are dead and dont know anything about it...or no one has ever came back and told how it is..[;)]So we cant know if its better being dead or not..

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    You who don't believe in the promises of the Bible you have a tough row to hoe.If you come back as a slug someones going to salt your belly.If you come back as a rich person, your going to die and leave all your money to someone else.[:D][:D][:D]

Psalm 109:8
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    For the true believer, they are in Heaven ( a much better place).

To the non-believer, they are where ever you want them to be.

When people offer their condolences and say they are in a better place, they are trying to ease the emotional pain the survivors feel.

I believe that religions were created in order to deal with death and the unknown.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No suffer = good.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:How do you know they are in a better place, and how do you know they are better off?...
    Because I've been there and had to come back, believe me when I say it is a far better place, and I look forward to going there again when that journey is scheduled.[;)][:)]

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yep, uh huh, sure ya have.. yep, all that stuff was invented because man has no freakin idea what comes later, if there is a later,, all speculation and no proof.. a feeble attempt to explain the unknown..

Trapp if ya been there and back, and desire to go, what ya waiting for. help yourself out if its so much more desirable to being here..[}:)][}:)][:o)][:o)][:o)]why wait????????????????

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They'll never have to pay taxes again. Can't get much better than that.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The end of suffering is one reason then if you are a Christian and a loved one or friend passes away.You know their heart was rigt with the Lord.Its comforting to all involved to know they have gone to a better place.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    I would take it easy on Trap. He hasn't missed one of those claybirds in some time now, LOL!

No one knows the answer to the question for sure.

Some believe what the religions say, some don't.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:to know they have gone to a better place.

That is fine for one to believe,, the question is 'HOW DO YA KNOW ITS BETTER",, I know, cause the Bible tells me so.. uh huh ! but how can I really know.. ya cant, so why say it..[}:)][}:)]

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    BlackRoses,

And how do you know that they're not?
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Stupid question and a lot of really stupid answers.

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    EMM......

An endless circle.... no one knows for sure ...I never said they werent in a better place....I said "How do you know they are."
    I have no way of knowing one way or the other, and neither does anyone else.....

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    'HOW DO YA KNOW ITS BETTER",,

If someone says, "Oh, why was I ever born?", do you actually think they are expecting an answer? This like many other expressions are merely an articulation of mood or sentiment, nothing more. Similarly, when someone says, "He is in a better place", the purpose of such utterance is not to claim to know the destination on some divine Trip-Tik, but to support and console the deceased's survivors. To therefore ask "How do you know?" would be impertinent, and further evidences lack of knowledge about custom and the myriad uses of language.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Classic,

Exactly. We don't. But I'm not going to assume that they're worse off.

If you believe in God, then surely you believe that when we pass on things get better (unless you're a war criminal or a child molester or some other sort of unsavory go-straight-to Hell, do-not-pass-Go, do-not collect $200 type).

If you don't, then what's the fuss? You weren't looking forward to anything to begin with, so what could the letdown possibly be?

And be honest - with reality TV, the Star Wars prequel trilogy, "no-carbs" being advertised on beer, the terms "JLo", "Bennifer" (referring to Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez), and "Brangelina" (referring to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie) floating around, do you really need to wonder if things are better on the other side?[;)][:D]
  • Options
    CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer is faith. Oddly I went to the two funerals this month. The first a friend and co-worker of my wife who had a stroke while driving home from a fishing trip, was 45,the second was for a friend and shooting buddy of mine just yesterday. He was 70, heart attack.

Both funerals were Catholic. Never once did I hear anyone say they were in a better place, only that they were loved and will be missed.

CWatson

1.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!

2.NEVER WASTE MONEY ON SPRINGFIELD ARMORY!!
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since my dad just passed away last week, maybe I can offer some insight ...

1. He was on morphine for constant back pain.

2. He had been fighting emphysema for over 15 years, was on oxygen but even still his lips would turn blue just getting up out of his chair, he couldn't walk 10' without stopping to catch his breath, even though all his steps were only 6" at a time.

3. Three days before he passed away he had to have a catheter because he couldn't get to the bathroom in time ... even though it was only 5-6 feet away from his bed.

4. He was tired of feeling like he was a burden to my mother, he had always been a strong and viral man and always provided for his family.

5. He was ready to go, and said so repeatedly for the last year.

When the doctor told him he had 6 months to live, he was finally at peace and told the doctor on numerous occasions that if he was wrong, he'd kick his * ... because I'm the one that usually took him to his appointments I was present many times when he said it.

Hope this helps you to understand.
    GBLogo-170x60.gif
    Member Since 8/29/1999
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fine points made, showing how each of us feels about our faith and our concept (or lack of)God. Faith in God is hard for some people to believe in. A simple act, that is all that is required. Yet that part of our being, that voice in our head, that only we ourselves hear, tells us good from bad, alway's hope for good for ourselves.

My father told me that faith is like love. You can't see it, but you feel it and know it. When it is strong (both faith and love) it directs our lives and what we do with it.

Not preaching, even if it is Sunday, but if it changes just one person's way of life then I will be blessed.

That was good,but let's try it again.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1

I have no idea why they say that. Some of them are worse off. Some of them burn in hell forever. I don't think that's a better place.

How you doin'!
    wolf_evil_smile_sm_nwm.gif

The election is over, so the anti-Kerry stuff is removed.

If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
    They will find the streets are guarded by
    UNITED STATES MARINES!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Deacon
    You can't see it, but you feel it and know it.

Didn't the little tailor in The Emperor's New Clothes say something very similar to this?
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Because that is the polite and tactful thing to say to grieving loved ones when someone is dead.

Things like: "That idiot should have been wearing his seatbelt", or "I told that moron to quit smoking", or "He was so young, damn that sucks" aren't really appropriate, no matter how true they might be.

sox.jpgPatriots.jpg41.jpg
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein
  • Options
    sky_Divesky_Dive Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, kimberkid- I'm sorry for your loss.

I think funerals are about us paying respect and dealing with the loss of our loved ones and it helps all concerned to think that they have gone to a better more peaceful place.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Trapp if ya been there and back, and desire to go, what ya waiting for. help yourself out if its so much more desirable to being here..why wait????????????????
    Like I said, it's not my choice. I gave an honest answer to your question, if I'd known you were just being an * hole I wouldn't have bothered.If you think you already have the answer, why ask? BTW...There's thousands of others that have passed over and came back, they'll tell you the same thing I did.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • Options
    robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1

THEY ARE DEAD FOR CRIPES SAKE!!!!

How do you know they are in a better place, and how do you know they are better off?...

Why do you even care!? [8)]

signew.JPG
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Pretty simple to understand. Human nature being what it is, anytime and everytime we speak about the supposed condition of a "good" person, we are REQUIRED to speak of them in a postive manner UNLESS we have absolute proof otherwise. This holds true whether we are speaking of someone who is dead or just on a long, long trip and has been out of touch from us. It cannot be otherwise.

How would it sound, just for an example, is someone made the statement at uncle hank's funeral "man, I'd hate to end up where he has just been sent". The other friends/relatives would turn on you with anger and ask how do you know that, or prove what you are saying, or how can you say such a thing.

Unless it can be proven or is very, very likely to be otherwise, we humans are always going to put a happy spin on anything and everything. It is part of our human nature so why fight it or try to explain it?

4lizad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now TRAP,, you say you been there, what makes you so sure???? I know many have said they saw the light, and so on and so on, doesnt mean its true..

Besides I was pulling your leg, but nice to know with your cristian belief, you can call me an azzhole.. way to go..

I always wondered why those that claim to have been on the other side are in no hurry to get back there.. reasonable question dont ya think..seems to me if it were so wonderful they would want to hurry up and go back...

I was abducted by a UFO once......yep uh huh.....[}:)][}:)]

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...seems to me if it were so wonderful they would want to hurry up and go back...

Not really. That is why they sell aerosols to prolong tumescence.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be better off if a couple of people I know would shuffle off! [:)]
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-- No, the Phrase "THEY'RE IN A BETTER PLACE" eases the pain that we feel for the loss and reduces our feeling of discontent!!![:(][:(][:(][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Faith.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER Forget RUBY RIDGE
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
    Lock and load
  • Options
    furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:to know they have gone to a better place.

That is fine for one to believe,, the question is 'HOW DO YA KNOW ITS BETTER",, I know, cause the Bible tells me so.. uh huh ! but how can I really know.. ya cant, so why say it..[}:)][}:)]

yo-yo.gif

"For we walk by FAITH not by sight." 2Corintians 5:7

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains...No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue: and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."-Patrick Henry
  • Options
    furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimbowby
    [8D]-- No, the Phrase "THEY'RE IN A BETTER PLACE" eases the pain that we feel for the loss and reduces our feeling of discontent!!![:(][:(][:(][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker

Because Hell is a scary place and it is not an easy thought to thimk your loved one went there. Even if you don't believe there is a Hell does not nullify its existance. It is a reality we do not like to face. Believer or non believer alike.

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains...No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue: and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."-Patrick Henry
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Though I have not asked his permission, I'd like to change just a little what dolfan has said: For the one who truly believes in Jesus Christ and has received Him by faith ... he is a child of God, so they are now in Heaven with our Father in Heaven. (this is certainly a much better place!)

To the non-believer, they are separated from god for eternity.

When people offer their condolences, and say they are in a better place, they are trying to ease the emotional pain the survivors feel. To say something that is untrue is NOT helpful.

I believe that religions were created in order to deal with death and the unknown. dolfan could be right about this. Except that the message of the Bible is not a religion at all. It is all about God taking the initiative to get back into a right relationship with us. He loves us and wants us to spend eternity with Him. That is why He sent his son to die in our place. It is proof of his love for us! [:D] Relation and religion is NOT the same thing![:)] GRACE it is all grace! Never leave home without it!
  • Options
    flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Faith.

JPFO Life Member
    www.jpfo.org
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Because our natural instinct is to try to make the grieving person feel better.
    I know, ...this is possibly one of the lamest, and most emotionally detached things that one person can say to another, "Good for them, but I want them here! Who are you to say what they would prefer? Did the deceased appoint you to speak for them?"
    People, even those who care deeply, say a lot of stupid things to the grieving person(s), I've said some pretty stupid things myself.
    When people don't know what to say, they revert to something that they think might be a "good thing to say".
    Don't take it too seriously....

Everyone is somebody's "weirdo".