In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ice on inside of windshield?

ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Sometimes when I go out to my car in the morning, there is a thin layer of ice/frost on the inside of the window.. what causes this, and is it normal? It goes away after awhile with a hot defroster.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gif
banner-small.jpg
www.awbansunset.com

Comments

• Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Obviously, you've never driven a VW Beetle in the winter! Used to have the scrape the outside before driving off, then keep the scraper in my lap to clean the inside off as I drove down the road! Those were the days!
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Usually ice on the inside of a window is an indication of an air leak. Somewhere around the window, the seal is not perfect. Do you ever hear any wind noise when you are driving?

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Or worse a leaking heater core...
    Do you have a sweet smell in the car? If so you got a heater core leak
    Walte
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    It sounds like either your heater core is leaking.
    OR.. your a/c drain is pluged.
    OR... There is moisture in your vehicle , usually on the floor.
    OR... you need to run your heater on floor mode to dry your
    evaporator this also can prevent mold on your evaporator causing
    odors and moisture build up.
    OR... you are getting in your vehicle when you are wet.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    When my old truck did that is was a core leaking in the heater core. Pain in the behind if the vehicle is newer, not bad if it's older though.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an air leak on my drivers side window, I think the weather stripping is goign bad. And the AC doesnt work at all, the compressor is messed up, if i turn the AC on my car stalls, someone suggested the compressor is locking up the alternator or something.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    If you use rain-x it causes condensation on the inside of your window which will freez if cold out.

Larry
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My old truck used to do that when my ex girlfriend and I went parking at the beach in winter. Stop breathing so hard before you park!! Or while you park for that matter.[:o)][:D]

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    woodsrunner--Nice to see I'm not the only one who's thinking it's to cold out to be messin' around some place other than in the house.[:p]

Seriously though, I had an S-10 years ago that did the same thing. Usually it only happened when it got down in the single digits or colder.

Brian

My grandfather once told me,"It's not what a man possesses that determines the importance and quality of his life, but rather what possesses the man.
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you probably have a stranger sleeping in your car at night. He obviously leaves before you make it to your car.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is snowy where you are, you may be dragging snow/ice/water into the floor board of the car. If the heater melts it there is water which will condense and then freeze on the inside of the windshield. Or they may be 6 homeless guys sleeping in there at night.

He Dog
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think HeDog nailed it. You've had plenty of snow out there in PA; inevitably some of it will get in the car, melt, vaporize and when the vehicle cools, it first condenses, then freezes, on the glass. Parking the car in a heated environment with windows down will remove it. Leaving the windows down while driving to circulate the moist air out will help. The first warm day of spring will do the trick, also. I've had several vehicles where I had to scrape the interior as well as the exterior of the glass before I could drive. If you have time, wipe up the frost you scrape off with a tissue or paper towel, then discard. Over time, this will also remove the excess moisture.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodsrunner
    My old truck used to do that when my ex girlfriend and I went parking at the beach in winter. Stop breathing so hard before you park!! Or while you park for that matter.[:o)][:D]

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Frog
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bsally
    Usually ice on the inside of a window is an indication of an air leak. Somewhere around the window, the seal is not perfect. Do you ever hear any wind noise when you are driving?

On a serious note, this is what I think is happening. You shouldn't have enough moisture inside to freeze.

Frog
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shades of the VW Beetle. Too much moisture for the amount of heat.
    Check for radiator core leak & wet carpets.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Try putting the top up on the car before you go to bed at night!!![:D]

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com