In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Older Folks Getting Heeled

NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Did anyone see the Fox Network piece Sunday about older citizens in Arizona (and maybe elsewhere) getting CCW's in increasing numbers? A lady in her 70's had finished her cylinder of rounds downrange, adding, "I can't even see that far, to see the holes!" Maybe I was paranoid, but I thought Fox was a little more waffly than usual in the voice tones as they described this trend. One older fella said something like, "I can't run from 'em. I can't fight 'em. So...."
The report shared uneasiness of some observers that shaky hands aren't good gunner risks. It added that the upper age range for CCW used to be ages 40-60; now it's 60-75, or thereabouts. Being "only" 61, I'm glad to see those older folks getting heeled. They're saying, "No more victimization." What if the word got around as the older population increased, that old folks are not automatically easy prey? Not all bad.

Comments

• njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Guess I'm gonna hafta give up carrying soon [:(]

For more than 45 years, I've been carrying iron on my right hip, now my hip ain't what is used to be and the iron's getting too heavy. [xx(]

All the bad guys know I'm carrying now, because I walk bent over to the right side so far that sometime the barrel drags on the floor. [V]

Glad to see the older generation packing though. Maybe Medi-Care will provide some type of device to help us..........I'll call em and see.....anybody got the number? Damn, I can't remember anything anymore.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    You think you got problems? I'm so heavy, first time I tried a small-of-the-back holster under my sport coat, a friend took one look and laughed, "Hey! You growin' a tail?"
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Those shakey hands probably got as much or better chance of hitting something than the badguys shooting gangsta style.
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live 10 minutes from Sun City, AZ, the retirement capitol of the west. Heck, driving trough there is dangerous enough. Now they are armed and senile? There are plenty of Seniors with sound minds, but there are plenty of blue haired demons too. Here in AZ your DL is good till youre 70. Mine has an expiration date of 2039! Its scary for those of us that have to deal with the Sun City crowd, and its not getting any better since there is little "common sense" restriction on any sort of licensing for them. Its true they are arming up, and its because of an increase in violence against the elderly here, but God help the grandkids. I look to see more "accidental" shootings here even though I pray for the best.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie, ya just gotta sell the Buntline and get one of those with a 2" or 4" barrel![:p]

He Dog
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie, just hire yourself a young female body guard !
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    He Dog,

I cut the ole Buntline off three times already. The barrel lenght is now about 1/4 of an inch. Sure plays he!! with the accuracy I can tell ya. [;)]

select fire,

Great suggestion ya got there fella, but my body's not worth guarding anymore. [:(] Maybe I could guard her's, LOL.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com