In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Manton Photo

njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
This is the new Joseph Manton side by side 12 guage percussion shotgun I got from my neighbor last night.

Although it is very old, it looks great! Even the wooden ram rod with the brass tips is in really good condition. This gun must be at least 100 years old.

Manton.jpg

vic.jpg

Charlie

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gourgeous...

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Ill give ya $50.00 for it!!![:D][:p]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Pa,

I woulda given a lot more than that to have been at Cabelas when ya got wet!!!

Did GHD swim in to rescue ya? hahahahahahhaa

Do you need my address to send me that catalog, and Oh yeah, my stainless Walther...[;)]

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have gun envy . Not only is it a SxS it's blackpowder .

You're a lucky man Charlie .

Work like you don't need the money.

Love like you've never been hurt.

And dance like no one is watching.

Have guns,will travel<P>
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Charlie...NICE. Ok I will bid 55...Sorry Pa

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Charlie -

More like 130 years old. Beautiful wood!

Nord
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She is a Beauty[;)]

use_deer.jpg
    edited November -1
    Thanks Nord,

I wasn't sure. The neighbor told me that her grandfather had it for so many years and she held onto it about 35 years after he died.

It is beautiful! The finish on the metal is brown, not blue and that makes the wood look even better.

Do you know how the barrels come off? I assume that the button shown in the photo slides from side to side, but it is stuck.

vic.jpg

Charlie

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a right nice looking new toy ya got there Charlie.
    Lube the pin and give a couple of days.
    Then try some light taps.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    Charlie I know why ya like the gun so much your both the same age!!![:D][:I]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice piece. Take the ramrod out and tap the barrel wedge out. One end is flared like the head of a nail. Hit the other end till it is flush then using a small straight punch, drive thr wedge out. Do it gently with only enough force to keep the wedge moving and it should come out. Next, cock the hammers and lift the barrel upward from the muzzle and the barrel will unhook from the breech.
    It's important to take out the locks, degunk, derust and relube them.
    Use good fitting screwdrivers so as not to bugger the heads. Cock the hammers to reveal the screw holding them in place in the stock. After removing it, wiggle the hammers to loosen the locks in the stock, taking care you don't chip any wood around the lockplates and carefully work them out. Keep all the parts from each lock separate
    because they were handmade and not interchangeable. Cock each lock and clamp the mainspring with a small visegrip. Then you can dismantle the lock like a gentleman.
    If you soak the nipples from the inside and outside for a couple of weeks using something like Kroil, the nipples may come out without much effort. If they dont, dont bugger the flats on them just keep soaking them.
    I also have a fine English percussion that shoots up a blue streak at the trap range. They're a lot of fun except for the cleaning.
    edited November -1
    V35: You give good advice but I think ya lost old Charlie when ya said something about soaking the nipples!! Im thinking he's chasing the missus around the bedroom as we speak!!![:D][:I]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

edited November -1
    v35,

Watch your mail for a very long package!! [8D][8D][8D]

Great advice, but above my level of expertise. I did get the barrels off and did not damage the slide lock. This is as far as I will go.

I see several proof marks, including one with a crown over the letter "M".

vic.jpg

Charlie

edited November -1
    JMshield.jpg

This is not my gun, but shows the shield that I was referring to on mine. The difference is that mine has the shield on the bottom of the stock about 2 inches from the buttplate. The shields are exactly alike.

vic.jpg

Charlie

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely nice.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my hunting around I've come across a picture of a Manton in full profile that is basically a match of what you posted so I believe that is what you have.

A first rate SxS ... your a lucky fella to have something like this drop into your lap.

bomb_line_3.gif
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie: I picked up a nice little pistol from a motel manager on Sunday afternoon. I'll trade ya!![:D]

<P> To each his own
    Craig Brosius
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,451 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie you should probably have an expert look at it. In addition to the Famous London Manton, there was a Canadian Joseph Manton, one in Maryland who built shotguns, and a lot of Belgian guns were sold under the Manton name. Whatever its origin, it is a beaut.

He Dog
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love that gold trimmed piece. The hammerfaces look like the fish head on the hammer of my German dueller.
    Manton was a fameous 19th century English gunmaking firm. I believe his guns were highest quality. Browning of old barrels was fashionable and showed up the pattern in Damascus barrels well.
    My percussion double is also a good grade English shotgun by Wm Moore but with figured dark wood. It also has an oval silver plate set in the stock above the butt. I believe these were for engraving the owners'name.
    I load mine as follows:After firing a cap on each side to clear the nipples out, I measure out 65gr ffg black powder in each barrel followed by lightly tamping down a modern 12 ga plastic cup wad. An equal MEASURE of shot is added followed by a light over-the-shot wad, gently tamped over the shot. A fresh cap is added to each nipple and you're good to go. The modern shotgun wads make it a pretty fast operation. The hooked breech barrel makes for easy removal for cleaning.
    I'll be on the lookout for that long package. Be sure to bubblewrap it.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie....That gun was made in Japan!!!! Its missing the aircraft sights,monopod, and dustcover.[8D][Its not a Mauser]

Crown over an M is a British proof- you got a keeper...,congrats.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    VERY NICE!!!

The wood looks rich...

R U planning on shooting it?

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
    edited November -1
    Mat,

The wood is like glass, but darker than the photo. The flash made the wood reflect in the lens.

As for shooting it, the answer is yes. However, I have decided to give the honor of the first shot to my very good friend Pabooger. (The real reason I'm giving him the first shot is that I don't know a damn thing about loading it and I figure if anything happens, well ya know hahahahahhaha.

Hangfire,

Are you making fun of my new Arisaka? [:(!]

Clair,

You may send that item to me here at anytime..........[^]

vic.jpg

Charlie