In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta, Glock or Ruger in .40 ??????

twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Hey guys, My brother is asking the question below on the experts column. I thought I would paste it over here since more of you would see it and hopefully respond. I want to get your opinions so he has lots of input. He is new to the discussion site so be nice.Hello:I am down to a choice between 3 weapons; a Ruger p94, Beretta 96R, or Glock 23. I have had a chance to shoot both the 9mm and 40 S&W and I think I like the 40 better which is how I arrived at the list above. I haven't shot a 45ACP before so I didn't include any models with that caliber. I am not looking for a CCW weapon, just a nice, well made pistol. I prefer a nice 12 gauge shotgun for home defense (after the dogs of course) so I am not really looking at this pistol for that either.My question is this: Given the list I have, which one would you buy if it were your money and why?Please please help. I really want to buy this on July 9th so I can help give the U.N. the finger.Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SP TigerSP Tiger Member Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock 23 all the way, though all three you mentioned are good guns.
    Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont see where spare parts would ever be an issue as Ruger has a long standing reputation of honoring their warrenty without question. That being said the only Ruger models I like are the Mk II .22 pistols and the 10-22. To me their other pistols are crude, clunky and akward to look at, as well as operate. Their rifles seem (to me) to be overpriced and lacking in accuracy. Occasionaly you run accross a good one but not anything you can count on ... for the money, give me a Savage any day. The Glock is a great light weight defencive pistol, as it should be, since thats what it was designed for. They hold their value well and you can spend several times over the cost of the gun in accessories if you want to, however the accessories dont really add to the value of the peice unless you find someone who wants it "just that way".The Beretta is the oldest name in fire arms according to "Tales of the Gum" (History channel show). They are well thought out, reliable and pleasing to the eye. It will always hold its value. While there is not much in the way of accessories avaiable for it ... it really doesn't require them.Personally I would go with the Beretta if you can afford it. Using your words: "I am not looking for a CCW weapon, just a nice, well made pistol. I prefer a nice 12 gauge shotgun for home defense (after the dogs of course) so I am not really looking at this pistol for that either."IMHO: You described the Beretta perfectly.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention! [This message has been edited by kimberkid (edited 06-27-2001).]
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aim has a deal on Glock 22s in 40.Glock 22.40S&W Park Ranger Trade-in's in Very-good+ condition. Include factory Hi Capacity 15rd magazines and Night sites. Order now, few in stock. Price: $399.95 (Excluding: OH State Sales Tax at 5.5%
  • Options
    The MoleThe Mole Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only speak with experience about the G23 as I own two of them now. I LOVE MINE. Never Ever had a problem with either one. However, I've heard good things about all three of the models you listed. Still If I had it to do all over again I'd still go GLOCK. I know I would still be as happy.BTW; welcome to the board. This is without a doubt the nicest group of guys and gals on the net.(watch out for some guy named "twins" though)THE MOLE
  • Options
    oneminuteoneminute Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is not going to be a concealed carry gun buy the Beretta.They are well made and rather attractive. For a gun anyway.As previously stated, Beretta is the oldest firearms company. With that age comes a lot of experience and interseting history.Of your three choices Beretta has the best feeling trigger pull also.
  • Options
    WIN-COLTWIN-COLT Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since price is a issue I won't mention a COLT. Kimberkid is right about beretta's they are a fine auto mod 96 I believe is the 40 cal.But I can't deny glock's function, relyability,accuracy and price either. The glock would be a good choice as well and I was told that after over 2000 rounds were fired threw it without being cleaned is still never jammed.I would consider the 10mm glock model 20 also or a used delta elite colt 10mm. The 10mm is a flat straight shooting load that is very accurate and very powerfull.IMHO the beretta in 40 cal's and glock in 10mm's would be a good choice based on economics.Sorry to all ruger fans but a ruger auto is clunky and cheaply made, and that's why I won't mention them with any seriousness, they make many other fine guns but are lacking in design when it comes to auto's IMHO. I hope that I have helped ya let us know what you buy.WIN-COLT
  • Options
    ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the US military likes em, than it get's my vote. Beretta
    Ruger-Remington-RULE THE ROOST
  • Options
    cog noggincog noggin Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GLOCK JUST DO IT ! Never thought I would be unfaithful to my Ruger until I met the GLOCK 23.It made me a semi pistol man.
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got rid of my Glock 23 a month ago. It was my carry/work gun for 3 years.Big mistake.Needless to say, I'm looking at what my local dealer can do for me in a brand new Glock 23. The only gripe about the Model 23, is that they haven't figured out a way to stuff a .45 ACP round into it. Am I rambling? Sorry, long day at work.I've owned both the Beretta and the Glock. I sold the Beretta after a week. It made a big dent in my pocketbook to unload it so soon after the purchase, but it taught me a valuable lesson:Buy the Glock 23.
  • Options
    sparkybell627sparkybell627 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both the Glock 23 and Beretta 96, however, my 96 is the fs, not the d. I am slightly more accurate with the Glock than the Beretta. In several thousand rounds, of factory load and hand loads from the local range, I've had less than 40 not fire in the Glock. All then did fire from the Beretta. If I were to carry one, because of this, I'd choose the Beretta, but I like the Glock's feel more.
  • Options
    zagnutzagnut Member Posts: 1
    edited November -1
    Beretta. Period.
  • Options
    Trader DaveTrader Dave Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock Period!!! 22 or 23
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's easy, sig p226 or sig sp2340. No question.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    berto64berto64 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yea, What wiredog said. Berto
    What! Trade my M-14 for that plastic piece of ___t!
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget all of the above. Buy all 3 and shoot them. Send me the ones you don't like and I will give them a good home.
    politically incorrect and proud of it.
  • Options
    PARAshooterPARAshooter Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy what feel comfortable in your hand. I have smallish hands and the Glocks work well for me ( I own two a G19 and a G22 ). The Beretta is way to big for my hands and the Rugers although nice guns, I had a P95 didn't feel right for me. My opinion is the Glock.
  • Options
    NathanLeeNathanLee Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That question is basically the same as Chevy, Dodge, or Ford it all depends on YOUR oppinion.
    Gun control is being able to hit your target
  • Options
    berto64berto64 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    (pssssst!) Sig's best!
    What! Trade my M-14 for that plastic piece of ___t!
  • Options
    KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all the brands are good at firing a projectile down a tube.....the main points are....1.) does it fit your hand well, 2.) can you hit anything with it.....after narrowing down the field after 1+2...then make your decision......personally i like the beretta or ruger.....I hate the decock on the sig and the look of the glock....
  • Options
    Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    of the three youmentioned the glock is the proven best.Handguns mag has put appx 170,000 rds thru a test 9x19 without one failure.A Sig would be even better but out of the three go Glock Walt
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and somebody who thinks if you are not a ranger and you wear a black beret you outta have your * kicked
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kinda like going thru a buffet line and only being allowed to pick from from three items.....can't have any of the rest? Think I'd expand the choices. Good luck
  • Options
    bstrad37bstrad37 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right on Dano. It was a klinton klone who made the beret change. The purpose was to destroy pride in an elite corps. Just one of many attempts by morally degenerate cretans to destroy the finest military organization in history.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    Patriot.45Patriot.45 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only traitor&wesson tops Ruger when it comes to being a sell out of our rights.Go glock mine wont stop.
    "We think it's reasonable to provide mandatory instant criminal background checks for every sale at every gun show. No loopholes anywhere for anyone.""We think it's reasonable to expect full enforcement of federal firearms laws by the federal government."Wayne R. Lapierre NRA Executive director
  • Options
    mistaspakurumistaspakuru Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Glock 22 and have owned a Taurus in the past. The Taurus is a pretty exact replica of the Beretta, made by Beretta's old factory in Brazil (so I heard). I really liked the Taurus but sold it because it was the model chambered for the 9mm, and I wanted to upgrade to the .40 S&W after hearing about those two FBI agents in Florida who were killed years ago because their 9mm's wouldn't stop an oncoming bad guy(s).The Glock 22 has proven a very worthy sidearm. It is accurate, well-built and easy to maintain. I also like its sleek and simple profile that makes it easy to insert and remove from a holster. It's definitely an option.My brother has had a couple Ruger autos spanning two years' models (mostly since he was in school and couldn't afford a nicer weapon at the time) but I wasn't as impressed with the Ruger autos. They aren't as well designed as the Glock or Beretta and I think my Glock is more accurate.I'm actually considering buying a real Beretta .40 S&W because I --really-- like its trigger action (the Glock's one weak point), excellent ergonomics and design. The Beretta was, after all, chosen by the US Military and held up well in sandy Desert Storm (for the short duration that 'war' lasted anyways).Go for the Glock or Beretta, steer clear of Ruger autos IMHO.
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Around the CLOCK I keep a GLOCK without a LOCK in my POCKET.....
    Guns don't kill people, it's the bullets.. stupidI am the NRAnjretcop@keepandbeararms.com