In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

substitute blood anyone?

MsrobsgunsMsrobsguns Member Posts: 80
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Finally able to use the computer as robs is out in the field and couldn't resist commenting on a report on the Fox Report with Shephard Smith tonight. The story was about a blood substitute to be tested on unconscious patients across the country. They say that it is supposed to be just as good as the regular and has a shelf life of a year when the regular stuff is only good for 6 weeks. I don't know about you but I REALLY have a problem with being given a substitute in the experimental phase and without informed consent. The report also said the FDA could approve the use of the substitute on anyone in need of blood without their knowledge or consent. I'm all for a readily available, disease-free blood supply but I'm not willing to have myself or my family used a guinea pigs to prove or disprove it's worth without informed consent. There is one way to avoid being given the blood substitute and that is to get a nice white hospital bracelet to wear to identify yourself as "Regular Only, Please." Sorry but no address or 800 number given to get one. Just thought that you might want to know. [:)] Night all.

catca7.htm
Seems like with each gun purchase he makes, it means more work for me.

Comments

• Options
    925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember hearing about this stuff they take the expired blood and seperate the hemoglonin and mix it with saline ,your type blood doesn't matter, no proteins to spoil or set off your immune system.
  • Options
    powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    There are many blood volume expanders on the market already that can and are used regularly and have been proven safe, safer than blood itself.

I don't know about this one though.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1971 was in a bad spot needed blood bad was given monkey blood
    and to this day I still crave banna's[:D][;)]
    sorry just couldn't help it[}:)]

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Sounds a heck of a lot better than the artificial blood they had back in the Eighties and Nineties that was based on flouro-carbons. The stuff was great at transporting oxygen, but not so good at playing nice with the human body...

All it wound up being any good for was as coolant for Cray supercomputers (how's that for sci-fi? A supercomputer that has artificial blood for coolant...).
  • Options
    925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Just what do you think you are doing dave"
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    asked Hal the computer

I loved that movie.........2001 Space Odyssey

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie