In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How are Romanian Arms being imported?

Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Everyone has seen the romanian ak's and drums that have hit the market. How are these just now being sold?

Did someone have them in a warehouse before 1994 or should we be worried about black helicopters and folks in SWAT gear kicking down our doors?

I bet Mark has the answer.....

kabalogoshadowed.gif

Comments

• Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll bump this back up to the top and will give my understanding of the situation.

The 1994 "Crime Bill" only banned importation of magazines that were manufactured after the passage of the bill.

If an importer can demonstrate that the magazines he is bringing into the country were manufactured prior to the ban date--and assuming they are not coming from a country where an excecutive order has banned their importation--they can be imported and sold to civilians here.

As for the Romanian AK's themselves, they have an imported receiver, barrel, etc., but then have enough U.S. made parts added to make them legally "domesticly" produced firearms. They are configured so they are not "assault weapons" as defined in the 1994 Bill.

Both these high-capacity magazine and firearm importing "methods" are considered to be "loopholes" by the anti-gun crowd and there has been talk (maybe legislation too--I haven't been following it) to change the law to block these sources for guns and magazines.