In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Concealed Carry in the Post Office

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Concealed Carry in the Post Office"After a thread about this subject on one of the Internet's larger gun forums was locked down by the Moderator who had posted a demonstrably erroneous conclusory statement, Rob filed this illuminating brief to straighten out a common misperception.""one of the most prevalent myths is that it is a federal offense to carry a firearm in a United States Post Office even if you have a permit or license to carry." by Robert P. Firriolo, Esq. http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-rtc-usps.html

Comments

• Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey, thank you again for the wonderful service you provide to this board!I agree with Mr. Firriolo's legal analysis. However, everyone should understand that an over-zealous prosecutor could still make you wish you had not carried in a post office, even if you are eventually acquitted. Most likely, prosecution would never occur unless you were doing something dumb or illegal in the first place, such as threatening someone in a post office with a gun, etc..
  • Options
    azgunnut2@yahoo.comazgunnut2@yahoo.com Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought ...But I thought that one of the basic concepts of "concealed carry" was"CONCEALED" (carry) and not let it be known that if fact you ARE unless needed ?????????
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Discussed this issue with a lady postmaster at a rural address. She carries on the job, concealed. She said it was technically legal because her post office leases part of a building which is a residence. Of course if you are concealed for your personal safety and only there to do business there is no reason for anyone to know that you are carrying.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good information. But I would not want to find myself in a situation where a "jury of my peers" would have to understand it inorder to find me "not guilty" of the charge.(Besides, if I remember correctly, SC concealed carry law states specific prohibitions to carry in U.S. Post Offices--so as the author describes the law, concealed carry would not be legal in SC.)