In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Song Dog Came In Too Close

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
A few minutes ago, Dawnie called me to the back door. Just outside my back fence, maybe 50 yards off my back porch, was a full grown coyote, just standing and looking around. After it saw that it had attracted attention, it moved off at a slow lope.

I have heard them way off in the woods for years, but this is the first time I have seen one in this close. I guess I am going to have to keep a rifle by the back door.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .17 HMR [:D][:D][:D]

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    They constantly run through the hay meadow behind my house. I love to hear them. My Bloodhounds get in on the action, and it is a real symphony fit for a King!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might consider the ol' shotgun by the back door also. Might just be more than one come close to the house. 12 gauge and No 1 Buck works fine.
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good excuse (if you have a wife that requires one) for a new gun -- something special just to fit the need.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    I do like to hear them yelp at night, but they need to stay in their place.

Coyotes around here are becoming so abundant that they are moving into well-settled areas, even cities. More than one foo-foo dog has been seen disappearing over the back fence in the jaws of a coyote. More than one real dog has been set upon and killed by a pack of them.

I have nothing against the wild dog, but I do have cats and dogs here that I don't want to be coyote food.

I may take out the old 870 and see if I can call one in close enough.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Come on...it's the dead of winter..he's just lookin for some grub.
    Feed him something.
    Make a new "friend".[;)]
    Nobody shot at you on the last do-nut run. [8D]

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw one last friday, it was raining that day and cold. He was just standing beside the highway , seemed to be in deep thought and wasnt worried by the passing traffic. I stopped and turned around , but as soon as i sped back up to get a closer look he jumped back in the woods.

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Stirrin the fire eh - TwoDogs[:D][:D]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    "Dead of winter" doesn't mean food is scarce in Texas. Plenty of small game is out. Sam jumped a rabbit two days ago about 100 feet south of where I saw the coyote.

There are way too many of them here and they need to be managed.

• TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just think..if you could only make friends with this poor animal.
    Maybe we need to start thinkin of a name for your new pal.
    I know your gonna win him over.
    How about "Wrangler", "Lucky", or maybe...let's see you said song dog...I know...."Elvis"....

[:D]

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nunn,
    I think "ELVIS" is a fine name for your new pet coyote. We always knew you were a kind hearted sole. Post some pics of your new "Puppy".

Tideman & QB