In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Running thru street naked with chopped up goats...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
This is a copy and paste about Valentines Day....and what it was/meant in earlier times and how it came to be..

Florists, chocolatiers and the makers of those heart-shaped candies stamped with kind words have made a fortune because of Valentine's Day. When we think of the holiday, we think of cards and romantic dinners.

In truth, the history of Valentine's Day is equal parts blood, violence, persecution and paper hearts filled with romantic words.

Saint Valentine was a real person - though historians aren't exactly sure which real person the day refers to, as there are three saints with similar names from roughly the same time period. Historians theorize that the Saint Valentine of Valentine's Day fame was a third century Christian priest serving in Rome.

Claudius II, the emperor at the time, made the strange decision that single men fought better than married ones. Since the Roman empire was at this point beset on all sides by unfriendlies, Claudius II banned marriage among young men.

Apparently Valentine - or Valens, or Valentius, or Valentinian, we're not sure of the name - continued performing secret marriages in defiance of the imperial edict. When Claudius found out (as emperers always do), Valentine got chucked into prison. While awaiting a doubtlessly painful execution, the legend goes, he fell in love with his jailer's daughter, and sent her secret love letters signed "From your Valentine." Valentine's execution was supposedly carried out on February 14, 270, and the rest is somewhat dubious history.

The randy Romans were the source of another potential origin of the holiday. Much earlier than the above story, pagan Romans celebrated the Feast of the Lupercalia, one of the many orgy-centric all-day bashes enjoyed by Romans. During festival time, women would write love letters and leave them in a large urn. Each Roman man would draw a note from the urn and pursue the woman who had written the message they chose.

Lupercalia was also held on February 14, and in addition to the secret messages, it involved the chopping up of goats, running through the streets naked while swinging goat pieces and similarly unappetizing traditions which thankfully did not make it into the festivities of the modern holiday. As Christianity took over the empire, Lupercalia was banned, and Valentine's Day was offered as a substitute.

So while you look forward to this most romantic of all holidays, remember the chopped up goats, the executed priest and all the other grim reminders that though Saint Valentine's Day is a happy time for lovers now, it wasn't always so.

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting. I do not look forword to this day. it was good when Iwas younger but now is over rated.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,TOOLS1 has got some goats! Who's in?[:o)]

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Romans celebrated the Feast of the Lupercalia, one of the many orgy-centric all-day bashes enjoyed by Romans.

Well, when in Rome...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    dang it you had to remind me of valentine$ day coming up im not sure what to get my GF[:)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Velly interlisting.
    [:D]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns