In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

senior citizens discounts

CZECHMATE2CZECHMATE2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in General Discussion
I never realized so many places give senior citizen discounts. All you have to do is ask.

Senior discounts

Scroll down page for list

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I know this will probably create a big stink. What is everyones
    'opinion" on senior citizen discounts?
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want em but I dont wanta earn em!
    Cant figure out how to work that scam, though.
    [8D][8D]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think there's anything wrong with honoring the more experienced members of our society. It's something we don't do enough of in our culture.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I went with some guys from the dept of natural resources to a meeting a couple Saturdays ago. We met at MacDonalds's. The girl at the counter rang up my coffee along with an apple pie. She looked at me with a kind look on her face and said in a subdued voice, "I'll ring this up on the senior discount and by the way, pies are 99 cents but with the senior discount you get another one for a penny." I looked at her, realized my gray balding head and mustache surely fooled her, and I said, "Sure, why not, throw another pie on the bill." Being 52 I was the second oldest in the group of 6. I don't really like the senior discounts but I figure if I'm gonna get insulted I might as well get something for it.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have mixed emotions on the subject. The old guy (my age) has 2 million dollars in mutual funds and his dinner gets discounted by $1...and the (young) guy next in line, who is working two jobs to make ends meet, pays the social security so the old guy can get a check, has 4 kids and a pregnant wife...he pays full price.

For some reason it don't seem right.

Rafter-S
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On the other hand, the old guy who worked 50 years, put 4 kids through school, has failing health, and is living on $800 a month social security, well, he needs some help from the young guy who makes $80,000 a year and has a wife who makes $90,000...and refuses to have any kids that will slow them down.

Rafter-S
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    One word for the "young guy working 2 jobs with 4 kids and a pregnant wife"...........VASECTOMY!

I see nothing wrong with Senior Citizen Discounts, I do wish they would drive smaller cars and remember to turn off that turn signal.

Hey, sometimes "I ARE ONE"
  • Options
    powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rafter-S
    I have mixed emotions on the subject. The old guy (my age) has 2 million dollars in mutual funds and his dinner gets discounted by $1...and the (young) guy next in line, who is working two jobs to make ends meet, pays the social security so the old guy can get a check, has 4 kids and a pregnant wife...he pays full price.

For some reason it don't seem right.

Don't forget, the old guy-been there done that too-he paid his dues.

If the old guy could have put his money into savings, (best place for it considering whats going on with investments) he probably would have a lot more than SS is paying him. But who would have supported the old guy that came before him?

fc3cdbfd.gif

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quote: "One word for the "young guy working 2 jobs with 4 kids and a pregnant wife"...........VASECTOMY!"

Just remember, those kids will be the ones who "earn" your Social Security check when you are old.

Rafter-S
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    O PLEASE, let's not go there!

We've picked on queers, trolls, members with names that we don't like,
    young folks and newbies....

Live and let live for heavens sake.

The only reason I'm on-line is that AOL gives me a 2.00 senior discount, lol.

Blue_car.gif

Charlie the senior citizen

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    The way I see it is..............We'll all be there someday.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rafter-S,I'm the one that earned my S.S. check.
    [:(!] [V]

ATF
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quote: "Rafter-S,I'm the one that earned my S.S. check."

Not true. Social Security is a contract between generations. The money that is collected today out of your check will be issued tomorrow in someone else's Social Security check. That is the way it is. It's been "sold" to the American public as a savings program where you earn your own. Understand: It is a "pay-as-you-go" program, like it or not. You depend on those kids.

Rafter-S
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Companies are not in business to be generous. Whether for a room at Motel 6 or a meal at Sizzler, senior discounts are subsidized by charging more to those who don't get them (you). I say to hell with the old farts, and I am one.
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made it there guys..I'm not sure how rich it makes me, I probably save 30 cents or more at Hardees on coffee..My God..I'm rich, and taking away from all you poooooorrr little youngsters. Life is so unfair..

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't like the reason I get them but I do. I get a eighty cent cup of ice with a little diet coke in it for forty cents! Just think. I only had to live with all of lifes troubles and sorrows sixty years for all that. I sure am lucky.
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    I agree with njretcop.Stop your whinnnnng.I've got two more years befor I can hang up my tools.If the good Lord is willing that for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DWS,I bet you refuse the discount when it's offered.

[:)] [:D] [8D] [:I] [:p] [}:)] [;)] [:o)]

ATF
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok,now what have I done? You know,there are sure a lot of older retired people driving around in large motor homes that cost in excess of $100,000.Some other ones just travel around & stay in hotels.It seems to me that the older folks that could really use the discount can't afford to eat out & go on trips.Where's my discount considering the fact I have to work for a living & probably won't get to collect Social Security because it won't be there.Isn't this a type of discrimination.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I never complained about seniors getting the discount before I became one.
    [:p]

ATF<P><br>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATF

DWS,I bet you refuse the discount when it's offered.

You bet I do. Always. I refuse to join AARP for discount dentures and Branson tickets. I refuse senior early bird meals. I refuse every bulsh!t perk given to old people just for being old. Just a bunch of blue hair biddies and dorks in shorts waiting to croak, and hoping for a few more bargains before they do. Life's too short--but that's infinitely better than it being too long.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There's a guy that's mad because he's OLD !!!!!!!!!

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

ATF
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ATF: There's a difference between being old and being pathetic. And the worst is being both. I can't do anything about being old; but I can do something about eating dinner two hours early just to save a quarter. When it's time, my daughter is putting me out on an iceberg.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have a nice trip !!,Don't come back you hear.

[:)] [:D] [8D] [:I] [:p] [:o)] [;)] [}:)] [^]

ATF