In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bogus Jefferson Quote? Beware...

NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
About a week or so ago, I asked if you all could help me source a quote by Thomas Jefferson:

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

The citation is usually: Proposal, Virginia Constitution [1776]
Thomas Jefferson, Papers, 334, C.J
Boyd, Ed., 1950.

I am not trying to step on toes, only save us from having egg on our face. As the "research fellow" for the Western Missouri Shooters Alliance, they count on me to be accurate when quoting anyone or anything. I checked the sources you all provided and they only repeated the above information but with no real source. I checked with the Second Amendment Foundation and they said not to use this quote. They said it is bogus. They said the citation given above is errant and they have never found this quote. If anyone knows different, they want to know. For now, I had to go back and edit this out of my last article.

Sorry guys, we don't want to get caught in this sort of thing by the anti-gunner crowd!