In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LEOs Would You???

texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
If a law was passed, and Lord help us all if it did, And...you were required to go house to house to pick up fireaems, Would YOU?

I have a friend that has been a LEO over 20 years. His answer was:
How can I, I just resigned my commission.

National Rifle Association Endowment Member-Texas State Rifle Association Life member

Comments

• Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    those days are behind me, but I still feel I can offer an answer, even at the risk of debate, etc.

When a person becomes a sworn officer they are "swearing" to uphold or enforce the law ... not just the law that they agree with, or the law of the day ... it's uphold the law. If such a thing were to become law then those that are then in the LE business have to either be committed to enforce it along with all of the other "law" or they need to resign!

Let's hope that common sense will prevail and there will never come a day when LEO's will have to face such a choice.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I thought part of the oath read "to protect and defend the Constitution.. against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."??????

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    I guess I would have to go to the house and wait for the rest to come get mine. It will be a sad day.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Don't make me break out the Emiliano Zapata quote...

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's hope they never pass a law that tells we LEO's to go door to door and execute everyone over the age of 80 cause they're a drain on society. That law and the one to confiscate my brother's guns would be respectfully disobeyed by me. My first loyalty is to God and His laws and then the people I serve.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No.

The only thing worse than lawbreakers, are lawmakers.
  • kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I thought part of the oath read "to protect and defend the Constitution.. against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."??????

The foreign and domestic part is for the military.
  • borderguyborderguy Member Posts: 387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's how I would carry out these orders.

Me: Hi, I'm here for the guns.

Gun Ownwer: Sorry, I don't have them anymore.

Me: Have a good evening!!
  • TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a chance.

I would resign, go back to SE Iowa to turn dirt and raise cattle with Dad before I would ever do that!

Justice through Valor

"Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war" Psalm 144
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    NO, but then again I've got enough time in to retire, and I'd do that first!

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    If 85 million folks own guns and most have more than one. I would say an estimate of 150 million to 200 million guns would be hard to get in short order. I would also guess that 30% of the people would not turn in any or just one gun. That type of law would be justification for total civil dissobiediance and the right to protect our constitution in the manner of force/deadly force against tyranists. To say it plain-- if we stuck to our guns, they would have to back down or jail/murder us all.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Somebody please come up with a plan to retake our rights..before it has to come to this...

Not just gun rights..but the right to be secure in our homes,our incomes,our property..the right to drive down a road without interference...

Surely,people,as the best and brightest the world has to offer..we can figure a way out of this mess....without violence...
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball,
    I feel like you. Let's hope the bright person who had the key has not been flushed down a sewage drain after he/she was aborted.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    And when our forefathers came from a country like this one is becoming, they set up restrictions for the government so that it would not run amuck! It's happening all over again!
    The president acts like a king, the government acts like dictators, they take property, make unconstitutional laws, jail you without council, enter homes without warning and murder the owners and sometimes it's the wrong home, ignore the constitution and have granted themselves the authority to define it's contents, tell us how to breath,talk,walk,work,hire,play,hunt,fish,travel,run our homes,children.............................on and on. All the while they have unconstitutionaly made themselves exempt from law suits and redress of the people. They lie to get in power, they they promise to protect the law of the land (constitution) yet propose and pass bills to the contrary.
    They break the "supreme law" yet not one answeres for it or is punished, so why should they not proceed as "status quoe"?
    Not until the "people" band together can anything be done. [V]
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I think the internet will be the thing that saves us. It is still in its infancy, but already the "people" are using it as a means of free assembly on a scale that was unheard of before.Free assembly now is by permit only and if approved is monitored by sufficient armed police forces to protect the interest of the government.The government will not be long in trying to limit this type of communication more so than they already have. I have a feeling they are pulling their collective hair out worrying about the numbers of people who gain access to the truth via the net. Don't forget that the internet is what "terrorists" use to plot their dastardly deeds, so they said. It will take a while, but I do think now that there is a way for the truth to get out to large numbers of people eventually the tide will begin to turn.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Most likely the military would need to be utilized to take such an action. Especially in the midwest and deep south. In those areas the law enforcement agencies or even the national guard would neither have the willingness, manpower or other capabilities for such an endevor. I think utilizing the military for this purpose would not go over well with the general populace and would be a * eye to the government.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can say with 100% certainity I would not.I would defend the peoples right to Bear Arms as well as my own.Ive said this to many of my comrads and most agree,I swore to serve and protect the people with my life if necessary.I will never forget that Oath.That you can take to the Bank.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This scenario simply will not happen. "They" know that it would be the straw that broke the camel's back, and would lead to a civil war. With a stroke of the pen, they will make it illegal to possess any firearm. But they will not go door to door taking the guns. The sheeple will turn theirs in, others will not. They know that they will never get all of the guns.

Other than a few isolated incidents, they will follow the guidelines used by other countries. Look at Canada and Australia for an example. No one is kicking down doors and shooting civilians. The plan is to remove firearms from the people "over a period of time." I fear for our children, grandchildren, etc.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was an LEO with the People's Republic of Palo Alto, next to Stanford University (Kremlin West), our chief, Durkin told us that were writing a new general order. It would require us to answer the following question the following way:

"Officer, should I obtain a firearm for self defense?"

Officer: "No, you don't need to. We can protect you."

I refused to do so.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Notpars, I find that incredible! How many people could have and may have gotten killed,raped or whatever because of their thinking the police could, would or even should protect them personally? That Durkin fellow probably has more blood on his hands than Manson if his advice was taken.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • 2 gun2 gun Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the time The evil ones get around to going door to door they will have banned all ammo,semi autos, shot guns,and new gun sales ,also they will have required all current guns and ammo to be registered.After all that piblic resistance will be so minimal to door to door confication it will have little impact.Read your history on how the Germans did it.It's almost a carbon copy of how it's going today in America .The only thing left is for them to Find there HITLER or MRs. HITLER and pic a group to eleminate.

Some where We the people have to draw a line in the sand and say no More!! I like most am waiting for our next George Washington to tell the Lords and Ladies to kiss our free butts.

IT "S better to die by fire then serve by force

It's not gun control. It's personal defense elimination. They only want to control ours.
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For Bigdaddyjunior: He retired but it does not matter. That was the attitude of the whole left wing city and still is. Very anti-gun. I put a small, postage stamp, sized American flag on my locker back in 1984. The administrators came down and asked me what "I was trying to say?" They asked if I was some kind of an extremist or what. This caught me off guard! I put a small American flag lapel pin on my uniform shirt. They said that was against rules as well. I knew it was because they are so left wing. So, for the first time in my life, I disobeyed a direct order. I never took the lapel pin off (it was little) and they never attacked me...to my face.

But, I was warned by some managers, the Lt.'s that they would "take care of me" and the department didn't "hire conservatives" and "I must have slipped through the cracks." Later, when I wrote an editorial to the newspaper blasting the city's "emergency assault weapons ban" which was printed, they really went nuts. By then, they had already done me dirty so I no longer cared.