In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Geezers

bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
"Geezers" (slang for an old man) are easy to spot:

At sporting events, during the playing of
the National Anthem, Old Geezers hold
their caps over their hearts and sing without
embarrassment. They know the words and
believe in them. Old Geezers remember
World War I, the Depression, World
War II, Pearl Harbor,Guadalcanal, Normandy
and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age,
the Korean War, The Cold War, the Jet Age
and the Moon Landing, not to mention Vietnam.

If you bump into an Old Geezer on the sidewalk,
he will apologize. If you pass an Old Geezer
on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a
lady. Old Geezers trust strangers and are
courtly to women. Old Geezers hold the door
for the next person and always, when walking,
make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.

Old Geezers get embarrassed if someone curses
in front of women and children and they don't like
any filth on TV or in movies. Old Geezers have
moral courage. They seldom brag unless it's
about their grandchildren.

It's the Old Geezers who know our great country
is protected, not by politicians or police, but by
the young men and women in the military serving their country.

This country needs Old Geezers with their decent
values. We need them now more than ever.
Thank God for Old Geezers!

Pass this on to all the Old Geezers you know.

THESE COLORS DON'T RUN

[^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^] [^]

standard.jpg
ATF.Eagle Guns

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    "Geezers" (slang for old men) are easy to spot:

At sporting events, during the playing of
    the National Anthem, Old Geezers hold
    their caps over their hearts and sing without
    embarrassment. They know the words and
    believe in them. Old Geezers remember
    World War I, the Depression, World
    War II, Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Normandy
    and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age,
    the Korean War, The Cold War, the Jet Age
    and the Moon Landing, not to mention Vietnam.

If you bump into an Old Geezer on the sidewalk,
    he will apologize. If you pass an Old Geezer
    on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a
    lady. Old Geezers trust strangers and are
    courtly to women. Old Geezers hold the door
    for the next person and always, when walking,
    make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.

Old Geezers get embarrassed if someone curses
    in front of women and children and they don't like
    any filth on TV or in movies. Old Geezers have
    moral courage. They seldom brag unless it's
    about their grandchildren.

It's the Old Geezers who know our great country
    is protected, not by politicians or police, but by
    the young men and women in the military serving their country.

This country needs Old Geezers with their decent
    values. We need them now more than ever.
    Thank God for Old Geezers!

Steve

ag00612_.gifsun_setting.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Geezers" (slang for an old man) are easy to spot:At sporting events, during the playing of the National Anthem, Old Geezers hold their caps over their hearts and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them. Old Geezers remember World War I, the Depression, World War II, Pearl Harbor, Guadal Canal, Normandy and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War, the Jet Age and the Moon Landing, not to mention Vietnam.If you bump into an Old Geezer on the sidewalk, he will apologize. If you pass an Old Geezer on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady. Old Geezers trust strangers and are courtly to women. Old Geezers hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.Old Geezers get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like violence and filth on TV or in movies. Old Geezers have moral courage. They seldom brag unless it's about their grandchildren.It's the Old Geezers who know our great country is protected, not by politicians or police, but by the young men and women in the military serving their country.This country needs Old Geezers with their decent values. We need them now more than ever. Thank God for Old Geezers!
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    That's the problem with generalizations.I've known a few older gents in my day, and most were stand-up guys, just like you described.However, I did once have a bitter old man curse me out in the parking lot of a bank because I had taken the parking space he wanted.And the old lady who leaned on the horn, stepped on the gas and flipped me the bird when I tried to pass her Buick on I-90......
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dagnabit, now I'm miffed!! I have a 9 year old, an 11 year old, an 18 year old and a 21 year old, and they're all old geezers!!!!Who'da thunk?????? Seems a person of a certain generation is mightily prejudiced against some folks because of their age, instead of judging them as individuals. Kinda like anti-gunners judge ALL GUN OWNERS TOGETHER BECAUSE OF THE ACTIONS OF A FEW. Inreresting. Yep, lotsa hypocrites out there today!!!!! Seems to me the "old geezer" who posted this has a bit of growing up to do.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    timber beast....I think you are a little hard on bsebast. I think his generalization of today's youth would generally stand the test of time. I congratulate you on the super job you are doing raising your children...would to God all parents would do the same. I have 9th graders who when they come to me don't know anything about the Spanish American War, the Civil War, WWI, or WWII. There concept of VietNam..."It was in a jungle...right?" As far as opening a door for ladies...virtually all of them are clueless. Not one in two hundred could tell me who Joshua Chamberlain, Nathanal Bedford Forrest, Colin Kelly, Alvin York, Manila John Basilone, Black Jack Pershing, "Scooter" Burke(my personal favorite from a shooters view), or Merrit Edson were. Most of them could easily tell me who the lead guitarists were in some really crappy bands, heck they could even tell me which groupies had given herpes to those lead guitarists. While we have spent many hours already decrying today's public education system and I really don't want to go there again....but I think it has played a MAJOR role in demeaning those values that many older Americans took for granted. The liberalization of public education has resulted in at least two generations of uninformed Americans. Anyway I did appreciate bsebast posts and I do frequently "flip off" younger people who cut me off on the highway....it's called "communicating" with them. They DO understand the single fingered salute of no respect! Anyway timberbeast I'm truly grateful that you have inculcated those values in your children...I hope I'll be successful with my own. Beach
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And you guys have to remember that bsebast is from Texas.....America's most polite society. I've never heard the words rude and Texan used in the same sentence unless it was along the lines of "The old Texan pistolwhipped the rude young New Yorker"! Beach
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello... Did I miss something? I'm prejudiced against people in certain age groups? I don't judge prople as individuals? I'm a hypocrite? I need to grow up? I re-read my post very carefully and now am totally baffled by the way it was received by some. Oh, well...sometimes you just can't win.
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    I have had a couple of old Geezers for my best friends they are both gone now. Very painfull when they had to leave this world, but I learned a lot from them..One of my son's is 30 years old and he fits the old geezer catagory, His mom must have done a good job of raising him. I agree though you can't generalize about any one group of people my moto is "IF YOU LOOK LONG ENOUGH YOU WILL FIND BOTH GOOD AND BAD IN JUST ABOUT ALL PEOPLE" AUTO
    KIMBER: Pistol du jour
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah well, a lot of those worthless young folks will grow up to be pretty respectable geezers, time has a way of adding perspective. I am close to qualifying as a geezer though I do not remember WWII and before. I also know the had goes over the heart for the Pledge and not for the Anthem, but I do know the words to both, though none here would encourage me to actually sing. Nice words, but there are fine people worthy of respect and admiration of all ages.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I had an opportunity to talk to Buck Compton a few weeks back. What a great guy. Buck was a member of Easy company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne Division; the WW2 outfit featured in the book and HBO mini-series "Band Of Brothers." Buck lives just up the road from me.You want a role model for today's kids? There's an old geezer who'll fill the bill. Not only was he a stand-up member of one of the toughest group of fightin' men in World War II, he went on to law school, became a DA and was responsible for prosecuting the scumbag who shot Robert Kennedy.I guarantee you that this old boy, at eighty years old, takes off his hat when the flag passes by, knows the words to the "Star Spangled Banner" and holds doors open for ladies.The big ol' * still looks like he could do some major damage if riled up.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bsebast, good one I like it know, and liked it then.Bullzeye,Heeello in there,, anybody hoomme.This is a good post it's missing some of what, was posted a while back by someone, and well received, as I recall it lasted for about thirty days and had over 70+ some odd all positive replys.Obviously Old Geezers is a warm nostalgic way of reflecting the old days when men, seemed to appreciate their country and way of life, and upbringing more than todays generation; perhaps when thinking of ones aged Grandpa, who was an Veteran of WW1, Korean, and WW2, who returned to their homes and took up their rightful place in society, without uttering a word of complaint for having been born and raised in generation where his life was interupted by his countries call to arms.The old guy you refer to was not an old geezer, he sounds like a college drop out, draft dodger of the vietnam era, who marched on the capital in those anti war rallys back in the 60's, and burned himself up afterwards, by continuing his selfish lifestyle doing drugs, on welfare, and now finds himself homeless, mad at everyone cause he realizes he really missed out in the real important matters of living, afterall, you were driving your car and he was pushing his cart, You took his spot, man.Or then again maybe he just had a headache, from last nites party. [This message has been edited by turbo (edited 12-28-2001).][This message has been edited by turbo (edited 12-28-2001).]
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Interesting idea.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    nunn posted this months ago..and the first reply was something like "Old geezers leave puddles on your sofa when they get up".Thatp!$$ed everybody off,and rightly so!!!!I just wish I could remember who that was!?!?.218
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bsebast: My apologies for overreacting in an immature manner. I should have taken your post in the manner in which it was intended. My fault. I just guess I get a bit ticked when folks directly or indirectly point fingers at younger folks. They are the same as anyone else, some are bad, some good, just like old geezers.Once again, apologies offered.Beach, your points are well-taken.Beast, the humbled. (sorry, Mudge)
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Timberbeast -Yer a good man. A sincere apology can do wonders.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye--That old lady traded her Buick in for a Cadillac because I encountered the most agressive Senior Citizen on the highway yesterday. It blew my mind.
  • Options
    thebutcherthebutcher Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I read your post, I thought of my late grandfather. He fought in WWII (but hated every second of it- He was not a military man, but he didn't want someone else fighting his battles). He tought me to hold doors open, to wait until the ladies sit down, to seat the eldest lady first, etc. He also taught me to be proud of my country and to always show respect. Unfortunately most of the guys in my age group didn't have such a role model. They have no idea what simple manners are. I will say confidently as a person in my twenties that most in my generation are selfish, immoral, and discourteous. Now, there are a lot of guys in my age group who are none of these, but generally speaking, my peers have dropped the ball.
    The definition of an "expert":An "X" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Timberbeast-- No harm done. Thanks for the good words.
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what I like about this place, real men aren't afraid to make things right.."I blacked out; What happened"
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have nothing to add!Mudge the GEEZER
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    It don't matter much what label you got just as long as you have good raisings. That is the seed of a good person.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Geezers are pretty good folks in my opinion. Now if everybody reaches their latter years and acts like that, we'll be in good shape. Ya'll watch out for them road raging folks.
    Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the age of 50 I guess I fit into the catagory of Geezer, and proud of it. I just hope I can live up to the discription of Geezer.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope! Sorry Clair. Not even close. I've got socks older than you.At 50 you're a "whippersnapper"Mudge the geezer
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!