In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Would You have Shot???

AZHARLEYAZHARLEY Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I have a friend who owns a Yogurt shop here in town and on Monday night a man walked in and held him up with a revolver!! He went to ring up this individual and he looked up and saw a gun pointed at him. All he had was $300 bucks in the Cash register. He had his .38 special under the counter but wasn't sure if he should of tried to shoot for $300 bucks! I told him I still would of tried to defend myself and not let this loser get away with it! What would you have done?? Comments Welcome, Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    That question can only be asked of the man with the gun pointed at him. He is the only one able to size up the bad guy, his weapon, and his mental state. In his judgement, in that situation, compliance was the right choice.Knee jerk reaction is to say, "I would have shot the punk." Big question is, "Would you pay $300 to avoid a deadly force encounter that you may or may not survive?"It is always dangerous to draw against the drop, but it has been done. Action beats reaction, most of the time.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I know why he runs a yogurt shop. HE'S GOT BRAINS!! What kinda nut would risk his life for $300.00 or even $3,000,000. Money can be replaced, human life cannot not. You'll get a lot of opposite answers from the John Wayne commando's on this board, but ya gotta be there. He did the right thing, now if the a**hole walks in again......... -Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelMember: NRA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2AMPD and the AARP. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    cheezecheeze Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would shoot if my life is in danger. I would not shoot if my $300 is in danger.
    Dragon's Lair Fighting Arts, Dragon Style Wind Fist Kung Fu.
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The $$ wouldn't have been the deciding factor for me. Depends on whether or not I felt the guy was going to shoot me even after he got the $$. But, that's easy for me to say, I wasn't the one being held up.
  • Options
    Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    I agree with the other posters here...If I was the one looking down the barrel of the gun, I would be the only one that could have made the decision..Money is not always a good reason, Human life is always a good reason..
    visit the texas militia org forums
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see if I have this right... His pistol is trained on me and mine is under the counter, right? He wins the $300, I am not that fast at my age.
  • Options
    Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I saw an opening, like him turning around looking for cops or something, I would take out my gun and shoot him.[This message has been edited by Gene B. (edited 11-28-2001).]
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Determine by the way he holds the gun if he is a pro or not (Watch Steve Segal Movies) the guy is EX - *. If the guy is nervous give him the cash fast he might shoot you by pressing on the triger by sheer stress , if he is pro, don't even try to outshoot him ,you will end in a puddle for $300.worth , give him the cash. First is to AVOID collateral damage.. howcrowded is the place and a fast assesment onhow ballistics will go in a situation guns are discharged ,if LIFE is at risk calculateproper back stop and take your best shot at the guy ,take best cover you can. Never ! Never run after a wounded guy and never shoot him again if he is down ,tell him to dispose of the gun an surrender if he does not comply go for the head . This are some basic rules ,some may be aplied in different ways and sometimes they don't work at all ,its something a six sensehas to be developed with experience along the way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think you guys are right, I think if he was going to shoot him he would have done it earlier in the robbery!! He also had friends outside waiting for him so it could have caused alot more trouble I think!!! I told him that he better look like swiss cheese if he comes in again!!!
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO...NO...NO...For $300 bucks, NO WAY. Now if the guy turns his back on me as he leaves....I MIGHT try it. "Your Honor, I feared for my life. I had no way to know he wouldn't turn around and shoot me."But I've practiced. I can go from holstered (condition 1) to first shot in .8 seconds. Keep in mind that that 7 yd. target ain't capable of shooting back and with that adrenalin rush you're likely to hurry your shot. I'd probably would just get down behind the counter with gun in hand in case he decided to come back shoot me anyway.I have a VERY low threshold of pain!Mudge the wuss
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    !. He should not have had that much cash in the register in the first place.2. Give the * the money, then fall down behind the counter, grabbing the gun on the way. This way he is out of sight and if the * comes around the counter it's bye bye time for the perp.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Badboy.....As far as the money in the till goes, I suspect that from this day forward, he won't.Mudge
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    It really comes down to the situation and the individual.Now, I've got a lousy quickdraw, so I wouldnt wager my life on it if I honestly thought the guy would leave if I gave him the cash.Then again, if he racked the pistol, cocked the hammer, or clicked off the safety, then I'd take my chances and pull my gun, because if he does any of those things chances are he's gonna shoot you after he gets the cash.A good (albeit slightly dishonorable) technique in this situation might be to stuff the cash into a bag and then accidentally drop the bag off the other side of the counter. If he bends down to get it, pull the gun and shoot him.That is highly dangerous though. He might just as easily get spooked and shoot you. When a criminal is holding an innocent person at gunpoint, they tend to be rather jumpy.
  • Options
    usmc2498215usmc2498215 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Comes down to who has the tactical advantage. Sounds like this time, the crook did.
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    mudgeThere is no way you can get away with shooting him in back as he leaves and claim "Fear for my life". If you do you will probably be fearing for the length of the sentance you are about to get.
    Home of the Blue AngelsProviding a home for discontinued .22 Revolvers and PistolsNever miss a good chance to shut up (Will Rogers)
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what!..you yoghurt guys obviously haven't seen "the matrix". here's what all shopkeepers should do: deny the cash, the thug shoots, time slows down and you neatly dodge the oncoming bullets. then do a deft roll, while grabbing your piece, and calmly shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand. the next day you are awarded a ribbon by the mayor...i'm faxing my advice to all yoghurt franchises immediately, and for that matter- to all frozen dessert establishments in general...
  • Options
    elmos608elmos608 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AZHARLEYThat's an interesting story. I like to hear the opinion of those who think they are the "EXPERT." Instead of debating on whether to go for the gun, did your Yogurt friend have the Video Camera on? I think this is the question that needs to be asked.
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure about other small business's, but in my store we keep between $250 and $300 in the till at all times. $300 in change is NOT that much money to keep on hand when you think about it. You need at least $75 in ones, $50 in fives, and so on with all the other denominations. You've got to have plenty of each type of cash on hand so that you can break all the twenties that people usually pay in, assuming they don't slap it on the Visa. As far as the robbery itself goes: Hell yes I'd have given him the cash. Is $300 dollars worth risking your life? If you answered yes, you need to have a testicle removed because you've got WAY too much testosterone in your system already. Now, if I believed the guy was going to harm one of my employees of myself, I'd take him out. He may get me, but not before I take the * with me. Besides, I've got the Lord on my side!
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let him have the money and live to fight another day....
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have studied at length the works of Segal, Eastwood, Stallone, Van Damme, and the other true gunfighters. One must realize that it is a matter of principle, and while you may sustain a bullet wound through the top of you shoulder or the side of your arm, this wound is never disabling and will still allow you to curl your arm around the slinky young thing who has just witnessed your act of destruction. Keep in mind also that it is proper form to shoot once and wound him so the robber is able to fall on the ground and beg for mercy, and then to make a snappy comeback and with a clenched jaw finish him off.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some slimeball comes into my store and trys to rob me, he's going down like the proverbial preacher's daughter.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mlincon hope that never happens as you may "go down" also. Sounds like the guy made the prudent decision as he is still alive to talk about it. Thats a judgement call that I hope myself nor anyone else here has to make. I have seen time and time again how people make rash decisions and statements such as posted above, however util YOU are looking down the barrel YOU do not know what you will do. only what YOU think You will do! I ask this, how many of you have ever looked down a barrel of a weapon pointed at you?
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I knew the proprietor of a small owner-run liquor store. He showed me his .38, a Smith Model 10 one day. He told me if a robber came in and asked for the money, he would give it to him, but that the robber had better back out the door keeping him covered the whole time.One day, we got a robbery call at the liquor store. The owner was in the doorway, gun in hand. The robber was screaming and writhing in pain on the parking lot. He had a nasty flesh wound in his left buttock. The robber had made a mistake. He turned his back on the owner as he was leaving.Store owner said, "Damn .38. I'm gonna get me a .45."I said, "You don't need a .45. You need shooting lessons."Back in those days, anyone, including the police, could shoot at fleeing felons, armed or not, so the owner was on good legal ground.I bet a .38 through the butt would hurt.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Juggs I agree again, follow the following Develop you 6th sence by practicing being help up in the mirror, only after watching several steven segal or Stalone movies.Take you medsThe perp is probably a undercover goverment agent out to get ya. so be carefulTake coverCaculate all ballistic data on all weapons involved.Take you best shot with a jennings/bryco gangbanger slayer with properly adjusted "homie sites"Go to Jail for going for the head in the parking lot.Meet the real BUBBA while in the penFill out willStir, Stir, Stir
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    $300 is not that much to lose. Give him a lot less & 1. He won't believe you & 2. Youwill piss him off. I have known two gun store owners that have killed robbers. Both went out of bussiness within a fairly short time. In both instances the robbers were gang menbers & their homeboys made bussiness impossible with their threats to the owners & customers.
  • Options
    AlerionAlerion Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to own a bar/restaurant that had the best (in my unbiased opinion) chicken in the area. I always told my waitpersons that if the place ever got held up to give them the money and ask if they'd like a carryout order of chicken! I didn't give a damn about any robbers. I just didn't want any of my people hurt.We only got robbed once and I was working when it happened. Two guys with guns followed one of my waiters back in when he took the trash out after closing. I was in the office counting receipts. The guys weren't very good at their job. They only got $800 that I had out on the desk, out of about $3500 total that I had on hand, but I would have given them the full amount if that's what it took to get them safely out of the store. In the extreme stress of the situation, I forgot to offer them any chicken.At the time, I had a .38 in an ankle holster and a .357 in my desk drawer. But I also had two employees in the room and two sons at home. Fortunately, I took my own advice and gave them the cash. Besides, while gunfights always go in my favor in my imagination, the reality is that I'd already been shot twice in Viet Nam and it wasn't worth $800 to risk it again. That kind of stuff gets old real fast!Tom
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well some news from this story! It turns out that the same loser robbed a cigarettes cheaper store right after and it was a female working the counter so he beat the piss out of her and locked her in the bathroom and stole his loote!! My friend also said he seemed really nervous so he must have been a rookie at this!! No he didn't have a camera in the store but the following day he had one installed and now he can watch it from his computer!! I guess it is only $300 and he still has his breathe!! THanks for all the Comments I guess this was a good topic!! See YA
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really tired one night, only had a half hour to spare, pulled over and just put my feet up on the other seat, leaning back against the window. Woke up with a CANNON in my face. Must have left the other door unlocked.Female with a male behind her.If I dropped my left hand to the door pocket, 6" razorsharp hunting knife, raise my right hand to the shelf behind the seat, .45 Colt,ready for business. Wallet on Dash(wrong move)."give me your wallet" was the demand. I picked it up, and opened it as i presented it, saying "you don't want my wallet, here's the money, I don't have any credit cards, leave my pictures please" She reached in, grabbed the money($180), backed out the door and evaporated. They had to evaporate because I had the Colt in hand as the door closed and was at the other door in one step. Probably couldn't have hit them if I had seen them(they weren't inside a barn), but I might have tried.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't recall having said anything about PURPOSELY shooting the perp in the back. "Yer Honor, I merely had my gun in my hand in case the bad person turned to shoot at me. He kept moving toward the door but extended his arm in my direction as though to shoot me. At that time I instinctlvely fired in self defense without waiting for him to turn and take better aim." "Thank you, Mr. Mudge. Good show! Case dismissed." Mudge the creative