In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pitching machine help?

TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Baseball season is here again and I've got a couple of little ones playing. I'd like to set up a pitching machine for them to work out with, but the commercially available machines I've seen sell for over a grand. The ones I've eyeballed are made of just a few simple parts that don't look like they'd add up to near this high of a price.These things don't look like they require any high tech skill to rig up using just a few off the shelf parts and some scrap materials.Anyone ever built one or know where I could find any helpful info?

Comments

• Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My kids have told me that the absolute best pitching machine comes free of charge. It's called DAD.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey TXS Im a highschool coach and a little league coach. Cheapest route to go is using your own arm. Heres a couple of places to check for machines ,not sure on prices though. www.anacondasports.com www.westernathleticsupply.com
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7 nut-There are other reasons for my using a machine when teaching my kids to hit a baseball besides neglect.I'd appreciate it if you didn't get on this board and throw out assumptions about my relationships with my children.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jesus, sorry if you took that the wrong way dude, I didnt intend to insult you you but if that did insult you I suggest you take a break from whatever it is that got you down and chill out. There was no disrespect intended. It aint worth it. Have a nice day pal.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7 nut-Understood and no hard feelings on my end.
  • RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TXS,Pitching machines are great. I would suggest you fix your sights on the best possible one available. We looked around for a couple of years and found a good used one that "squeezes" the ball between two rubber wheels. It can be adjusted to throw curves, drops and fastballs to 90 mph. Throwing old worn out balls make great targets for the ole 12 ga once and a while. We got the net, thrower, post, and cables for $1,000.00. We had several coaches and interested parents so a bunch of us threw in a couple hundred each. Have you looked for used ones on the net? Good luck
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A *really* good solution is two or more families working together. One adult to pitch while the parent works with the child, then switch off. Meanwhile, the extra juveniles are a blessing shagging balls (and picking up some fielding practice at the same time). I coached for many years as well as working w/ my own kids and we had some wonderful times w/ "extra batting practice." Unless you're dealing w/ older kids, don't worry about curves, etc. They shouldn't see those sorts of pitches in the lower levels - it can cause serious harm to a youngster's developing arm. At least in the leagues where I worked (if you want to call it work), we prohibited anything except a straight fast(?)ball. Heck, lots of times, just putting it in the strike zone was cause for celebration! Have fun - I envy you!
  • sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well if building one is in your scope of things, try this. Take an electric motor, mount a wheelbarrow wheel on it, add a piece of thick wall pvc pipe to drop the balls down, cut so that the ball hits the top of the wheel, while still covered by the pipe. Maybe some spring loading would help, but place the pipe over the top of the wheel at an angle so that when you drop the ball in the pipe, it falls to the spinning tire, gets mashed between the tire and the pve, and gets "hurled". That's about all I remember about the homemade one I saw that a friend made, but if your really interested, I might go look at it again, for a refresher course. Been a while since I saw it, and wasn't into them at the time. Sandman2234
    Have Gun, will travel
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Played a little "A" ball myself. (Good stick. No glove.) But that's another story. Coached a few years of Little League.First of all, tell us how old your kids are. That'll make a LOT of difference. I'd be wary of the machines for kids under about 12.They can be a little intimidating (speed- wise) for the little ones. Unless you get (or make) one that has adjustable speeds. Look at the pitch speeds that they'll be facing and try to duplicate that. No point in teaching them to hit a 40mph pitch if they're only going to get 20mph's to swing at. Yeah, and forget anything but straight pitches. Never liked the machines myself. Sure, machines will allow you to get your timing down but the kids aren't gonna' see pitches at the same speed all the time. Nothing like getting your timing from a windup and delivery.Mudge the hitter
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!