In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carlson vs. Begala: The right to bear arms

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Carlson vs. Begala: The right to bear arms
April 12, 2002 Posted: 1:05 PM EDT (1705 GMT)

(CNN) -- Armed and dangerous? Or just protection? Hosts Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala go one-on-one over an Ohio appeals court's decision to repeal the state's law against carrying a concealed weapon.

CARLSON: An appeals court in Ohio has decided, thankfully, that that state's law against carrying concealed weapons is unconstitutional against that state's constitution. This challenge was brought, by among other people, a private detective and a guy who was a food delivery man, who goes into tough neighborhoods and wants to carry a gun with him for self-protection.

Now if this country guarantees one thing, it seems to me, it's the right to protect yourself. You cannot in a million years defend a law that prevents people from simply carrying a gun to protect themselves. Not committing a crime, protecting themselves. How can you be against that?

BEGALA: Well like you, I'm a gun owner. But unlike you, I'm not a gun nut. You see, we ...

CARLSON: I'm not a gun nut either. I believe people ought to be able to protect themselves.

BEGALA: The states that actually have these right to carry laws have higher murder rates than the states that do not. In my home state of Texas ...

CARLSON: Is that true?

BEGALA: Yes.

CARLSON: Because 43 states have them, Paul. Do your homework, pal. 43 states. You can't make -- there are 50 states. That means only seven don't have them. So how can states with them have a higher murder rate? Statistically meaningless.

BEGALA: Yes, but the murder rate's there. My home state of Texas ...

CARLSON: Come on.

BEGALA: ... George W. Bush, when he was our governor, signed a law to allow Texans to carry guns in churches and amusement parks. Now that's insane. If you have to carry a gun in church, you're going to the wrong church, Tucker.

CARLSON: Man, I tell everybody, "Crossfire's" not a dangerous job. Being a cable talk show host, not dangerous. But lots of people out there in the rest of the world have jobs that are dangerous.

BEGALA: So what -- should you -- looks like ...

CARLSON: And to strip them of the right to protect themselves is appalling. I can't think of a more fundamental right than that.

BEGALA: Father Miguel would have a lot more success at the collection plate if you pack a .45.

CARLSON: Now you go to a pretty rough church, it sounds like.

BEGALA: Yes, exactly
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/04/12/cf.crossfire/

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

Comments

• Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I'm a gun owner, but not a GUN NUT." The "anti's" say he IS a gun nut. According to them, ANYBODY who owns a gun is a gun nut. Typical liberal BS. Only they are empowered to decide who should be allowed the protections of the Bill of Rights.
    That has got to be LEARNED stupidity. (That's probably an oxymoron.)

Mudge the disgusted

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!