In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

tires for the pick-up

mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
i'm looking at getting a new set of tires for my pick-up. i think i'm going to get a set of cooper discover stt. in a 31-10:50-15.i looked at a set of b.f. goodrich mud t.a.but the coopers look like them, but are 22$ cheaper per tire. so 22x4=88$less. so i guess what i'm asking is, what kind do you have,and do you like them? i need off road mud tread. not that wimpy hwy. stuff.

Comments

• Options
    thebutcherthebutcher Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The BF Goodrich shouldn't be more that $130/tire installed. They have an extra ply in the sidewall and are much better than the cooper. You can always try a Dunlop Rover. They are quiter than the BFG and usually a few bucks cheaper.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I have Cooper 30/9.50/15 highway treads on my Dodge D-150 and I'm real happy with them. I have around 30,000 miles on them and they look damn near new. I'd buy another set without hesitation.However...I bought a new set of Michelin 235/75/15 highway treads for my 2WD Jeep Cherokee last year and I REALLY like those tires. Smooth, quiet and great-handling.Have you looked at Michelins? If not, why not?
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have copper disc. on the work truck. Seem to last well and are tougher en hell. I did not had a flat with the set I just replaced and they lasted three years, with trips to the scrap yard and around railroad tracks every day. You can bet the new set was the same type.
  • Options
    mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nobody even handles michelins up here. they do make a good tire. but the don't do very well in the snow and ice. (minnesota if ya didn't know)
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have super swamper TSL radials 36x15 on my ford, work extremely well in just about all conditions, I have 75,000 miles on them and they just now are looking like it will be time to replace soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Superswampers are awesome tires, but they can get pricey. Why don't you tell us what kind of driving you do and what kind of weight load you are dealing with?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well they are on a ford so that auta tell you that there is no rough driving! Heaviest load I carried was 7 deer at one time, spen alot of time on dirt roads, most time on pavement is usualy less that 35 miles one way. I did however drive it to scranton once and that is roughly 160 miles one way. Heere is what a swamper looks like after 3 years and 75,000 miles
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Look good! Probably time to start thinking of a new set. Do you remember how much they set you back?
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, what did you do, run outside with your digital to take photos for the board? Man, you are committed!
  • Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm mag,Will you tell me how you got the pictures on?
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Lowrider on this one...Michelin's are the best I've found. Have run them on my last two Chevy 4x4's and tread wear is incredible....traction on winter roads and snow...no problem.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found that round tires work best on my truck, but then it is a foreign truck, yeesshhhh, am I gonna get it for admitting that!!!
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Clair, I found out I have 5 megs of space on my isp's system for free and all I needed to do was upload the pics there and then put the address on here and bingo. yep I ran out with the digital and snapped a few real quick, since I found out how to put up pics I was looking for a good excuse to "play". The truck has 4" suspension and 3" body. It doesnt really show but the thing is tall, the tires are 36". It is a true rednekin vehicle with the tinted windows, gun rack, shot gun and spotlight behind the seat and a couple of knives and an old .22 pistol in there somewhere. Get's 11 mpg with the worked over 351 and auto trans. It's nothing but a weekend warrior toy. The tires cost me $185 apiece not including mounting, they are the largest radial that swamper makes. I wanted to go bigger but that was al I could get if I wanted to stay with a radial.
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for toughness and down right abuse swamper tsl's have on my willys and they take a beating.I am in az and this lil' thing goes in rocks,washes,cactus and up-north into the mud and snow. it is locked front and rear and will go darn near anywhere. The tsl's is bias ply but has the prooff to back up its claim. bfg's mudders wear weird and you have to keep rotating them, however the all-terrain is one of the best darn tires on the planet and the 155.00 is the going for that size you seek.the tsl's were 128.00 each they are a bite noisey on the road ,but my jeep gets towed so I don't have to hear them howl. another good tire I have read about is the procomp-exterrain or somthing like that nice tread and goog wear charicteristics.enough said hope the info is useful.Rich
  • Options
    ed in il.ed in il. Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    have you looked at remington mud brutes? made by dunlop, wear like steel, great off road traction. i owned a independant tire shop for 13 years and sold all brands including cooper (which is a good tire) but sold more remingtons over the years oil field pumpers and farmers loved them.....just my $.02 worth......
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michelins.Mudge the succinct
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!