In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Zulu

13»

Comments

• Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    ZULU. Own the DVD, and deploy with it, in order to afford all of my captive audiences (read: my soldiers) a truly enjoyable all-time classic movie experience.

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please give the specs on that Martini Henry rifle. When was it adopted by the British Army. How many grains of powder? Range etc.
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont know much about it but....the site below has a plethora of information on the weapons. They were very effective for their time. I also believe they were a blackpowder firearm.
    http://www.martinihenry.com/

sniper.gif

saddamgif.gif

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
    edited November -1
    trooperchin Great link, thanks.
    A 485 grain slug pushed by 85 grains of black powder. That ought to do the job on a Zulu.
    I noticed in the movie, the blanks they fired caused the recoil of a bb gun. You know that much powder and that big slug would kick like a mule.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    I already saw Zulu at half time on the Super Bowl![:D]

ROFLMAO[:D] Ain't that the truth!

The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson.
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    I grew up watching that movie and love watching it whenever I can.

Re-rank... FIRE! Re-rank... FIRE!

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't help myself...gotta' watch it every time I come across it.
    "Zulu Dawn" sucked because it was a "pre-quel". You already knew what happened, and why, so there was no suspense. The battle scenes were pretty tepid, too.

Mr. Pissypants....I think that's "rear rank" fire. As you can see, the rear rank fires and then moves forward to become the front rank and reloads. The "rear rank" is then what used to be the "front rank" and the process starts all over.
    Saw some bolt action rifles during some of the battle scenes. Anyone have any idea as to whether they were authentic for the period or just "fill-ins" cause they couldn't find enough operable Martini's?

Mudge the Anglophile

ps. Saxon you ding-bat....that's "Men of Harlech!

Men of Harlech stop your dreaming
    Can't you see their spear points gleaming
    See their warrior's pennants streaming
    To this battle field

Men of Harlech stand ye steady
    It cannot be ever said ye
    For the battle were not ready
    Stand and never yield

From the hills rebounding
    Let this war cry sounding
    Summon all at Cambria's call
    The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech on to glory
    This shall ever be your story
    Keep these fighting words before ye
    Welshmen never yield

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm, I don't believe I have seen any of them.

He Dog
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Martini-Henry is an interesting-looking piece of ordinance, and about the same in overall design as a Sharps...I wonder if anyone will ever get around to offering reproduction M-H's, chambered in something realistically available like, say, .45-70? I'd certainly buy one.
  • mbrookmbrook Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I woke up in the middle of the night a couple of months back and the TV was on and Zulu was showing. I stayed up and watched the rest. I called my 78 year old Dad the next day just to check in. He said that he was tired because he stayed up to almost dawn watching ZULU!

"When one responsibly procures his family's dinner by hand, each meal becomes a sacred rite. It is good, and so is the feast!" --Ted Nugent
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Mudge thanks for the correction sir. That part in the movie was just awesome. [:D]

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I still remember seeing that movie at the "Marlow" theater with my sister in late 64 early 65. We came outta that movie house literally shaking. Very powerful movie.

Trooperchin is correct in his statement that Color Sargeant was a predominant character, he just took things for granted and acted as if it was a regular occurance facing all those hostiles on a daily basis.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Just turned on AMC channel and guess what's on tonite from 5 to 8?

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zulu, one of the greatest War Flics of all time. I too thought the Color Sergeant stole the movie(I think it was Nigel Greene). Of course Hooke while an incorrigible pain in the butt had some sand too. You can understand why the British have never wanted to glorify what happened at Isandwana(Zulu Dawn)....I mean how can some African savages dismantle(and dismember) 2500 British soldiers and make it look easy.
    I hear that one of the VC's awarded at Roarke's Drift recently went at auction for over $80,000. In any case one of England's finer military moments after one of its worst! Beach
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure I saw some of those zulu dudes standind around out in front of a liquor store up in Atlanta the other day.
    edited November -1
    Saxon Pig that is a pretty rifle!
    What would one of those cost?
    How do you get cartridges?

Mudge was that song written in honor of the battle of Rorke's Drift?
    edited November -1
    The original "Men of Harlech" was written in 1468 during "The War of the Roses". About 300 years before the battle at Rorke's Drift. I doubt that the words in Zulu were written for the movie. If you look at them closely, they're pretty generic and could apply to most any battle situation of the period 1468 to the late 1800's.
    There are at least half a dozen versions of the words to that tune.
    Here's my favorite:

Wele goelcerth wen yn fflamio
    A thafodau tan yn bloeddio,
    Ar I'r dewrion ddod I daro,
    Unwaith eto n un:
    Gan fanllefau'r tywysogion
    Llais gelynion, trwst arfogion,
    A charlamiad y marchogion,
    Craig ar graig a grbn!
    Arfon byth ni orfydd.
    Cenir yn dragywydd;
    Cymru fydd fel Cymru fu,
    Yn glodus ymysg gwledydd,
    'Nghwyn oleuni'r goelcerth acw,
    Tros wefusau Cymro'n marw,
    Annibyniaeth sydd yn galw,
    Am ei dewraf dyn.

This is, obviously, Welch.

All the road signs in Wales are written in both English and Welch. When I was there, some Welch "nationalists" had taken it upon themselves to go throughout the countryside and paint out the English words on the signs. Can't tell ya' how much fun it was navigating through that.

Mudge the traveller

ps. How can a bunch of savages defeat 2500 British troops?
    Michael Caine's character showed you how at the beginning of the movie.
    ARROGANCE, my good man, ARROGANCE. Underestimating your adversary.

One of my favorite lines from the movie was Colour Sergeant Bourne's, totally condescending: "Mr. Witt. Please stop talking, sir. You'll upset the lads. There's a good gentleman."

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
    edited November -1
    Saxon...sounds like the famous "cluster f---" scene from "Heartbreak Ridge".

Mudge the movie buff

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Mr Mudge,

For a hog riding, hill billy, [;)] ya never cease to amaze me with your vast experience and knowledge on a multitude of subjects.

Must come from marrying a teacher. Please give my best to the lovely Mrs Mudge!

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"<br>NRA Certified Firearms Instructor<br>Member: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD.<br> <A HREF="mailto:njretcop@copmail.com">njretcop@copmail.com</A> <P>
    edited November -1
    Saxon...Wasn't "Tully" Crow was it?
    How many remember who "Tully" Crow was?
    This is a trivia test.

Mudge the trivial

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!