In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question for Those with a CCW Permit

meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Ok, how many of you CCW permit holders out there carry full-sized semiautos instead of the smaller pistols?

I've read that some people carry 1911s and Hi-Powers. I'm thinking of choosing a 1911 myself as soon as I can get my permit.

My main question, how viable is a full sized auto as a carry piece?

Thanks

Happiness is giving a paintball double-tap to your opponent's center of mass before he even realizes you're there.
Ahhhh... the glory of a successful ambush!

Comments

• tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is really going to depend on what size of gun you can comfortably conceal. If your 6 foot plus you might not mind lunging a 1911 around all day. I'm 5'10 and found a Sig 239 to work fine.

038.jpg
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a full-sized Glock and I found I couldn't conceal it unless wearing a jacket. I am going to split the carry duty between a sub-compact Glock 29 (10mm) when I CAN conceal it, and a very small and light Kel-tec .380 for all other times.
    I know there are those that would differ, but I just don't see how one could totally conceal a full-sized gun on a daily basis. I have a full-size Kimber and wouldn't dream of trying to conceal it - even with my 6'4" 275 lb. body...

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Depending on what I'm wearing (clothes) determines what size gun I carry, and how and where I carry it.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree a full sized is possible but there are lighter, more comfortable choices that won't drag your pants down. I now carry a Glock 30, and use my PPK/S as a front pocket quickie. Oddly, I only recently acquired a PPK and always imagined it was bigger. Once I got it I realized just how compact it really is. No need for the whole shoulder holster business for this little package. Just slip it in a pocket and you've got a very robust .380 back-up. But the Glock 30 is extremely portable and much more comfortable worn against the body than my steel guns ever were. And it has the advantage over the PPK/S of shooting a very civilized big bore round, too.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    People in this small county seem to have a sixth sense when it comes to someone packing...some people can hardly conceal a small pistol.

If you are big enough, and want to wear your trousers a size or two too large, you can pack the full or mid-frame 1911 - 4"~5" BBL. If you want to "dress slim" for appearance (i.e. the ladies), something's got to give.

The sheriff believes the best defense is a cell phone these days, and himself carries a 9mm...professes not to even know what model.

The only ones who look totally innoculous are the older ladies with battered purses, with a .357 tucked somewhere, bouncing around between the link balls and the lipstick that melted when they left the purse on their dashboard on a hot day.
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    For me it depends on what time of year and what I will be doing. I always carry a little Beretta .25 in my pants pocket. During the fall/winter I sometimes carry a 1991A1 in a shoulder harness, but I have to keep my jacket zipped so that it can't be seen and sometimes that gets hot. Sometimes I wear it in a holdster in the back of my jeans, but I need to wear a long shirt so that it covers it, and I can't wear this if I am going to be shooting pool that night because it might get seen while I'm taking a shot if my shirt rides up. I recently picked up a Star Model S .380 for concealed carry. I can fit it in my inside jacket pocket with no problem, and it can't be seen even if my jacket is unzipped. - Toe
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    I'm a little skinny guy and it get s hot here Fl.
    So not many clothes to cover up a conceal with.
    Laws in Fl a very tight on exposing your weapon.

So I tend to carry one of my mouse guns (PPK size)

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.
    [Teddy Roosevelt]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I carry my Beretta .32ACP ALL the time. Sometimes I carry a larger gun (or 2) as well.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    im a skinny guy so i carry sometimes a full size or compact just depends if i'm wearing a jacket or not

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated above, depends what i'm wearing and doing. I carry a Ruger P-90 or a Taurus PT-145.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
  • ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a 1911-A1 for years when working, S&W 60 when off duty... But that was in the Key's.. and had shorts on all the time and could only hide a small gun. I just got a Glock 30, and it's on me all the time now. [:D]

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member..NRA,
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS, IDPA
    Thanks for all the help!
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    In certain circumstances, if I feel like I want mondo magazine capacity, I'll carry my Glock 17. It conceals just fine. Most times I'll be carrying my Glock 30. Lately I've been carrying my new S&W 386PD quite a bit. Love that 17.5 ounce .357 mag.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    These are them...(?)

Glock 30
    Glock%2030%20Left%20Ammo%20Small.JPG

HK Tactical
    HK%20USP%20Tactical%20and%20Ammo%20Small.JPG

Both are rather bulky, but I pull it off with my suit jacket and the gun ITB in the small of the back. Have a S&W 340pd on order and am in buying mode for a HK P7M13. I think I'm ready for smaller. There was a time I wouldn't CONSIDER carrying anything but a .45...

Lug these around for awhile and you will know what I mean.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Depends on the season and the clothes I wear. Summer a Ruger SP101, winter Glock 23. That Fobus holster is pretty darn good.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Here in Texas, it's hard to conceal because of the heat. I use an undershirt made for concealment. Can't remember the name off hand????
    It will carry 2 pistols with 1 mag a piece. Is slow to draw from though and practice is a must. No one has ever detected my carrying yet. If you are enterested, I can get the source and site.
    I carry the Glock 36 or the Kel-Tech p-11. The .357 has a hammer that gets in the way.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is a 220 or 226 considered full size? X-Large flannel insulated shirt covers well. But then I live in the Colorado Rockies and can wear that year round.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • peegee69peegee69 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've carried a Glock 40 cal for years concealed. Ex used to get madder than a wet hen when we'd get home from a day's outing and THEN she realized I was carrying. I've recently switched to a Ruger P-94 40 cal, but I'm thinkin' on going smaller. Maybe a .380 with defense rounds...
    Phill

If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a full sized Handgun 90% of the time,Im a big guy and can let my shirt hang out and cover the gun.I always carry a Beretta 9000s 12+1 shot 9MM as a back up Duty weapon.But I dont carry it often but some times do carry it but I have a SP101 .357 Mag I carry once in a while,mostly when Im Jogging.But I mainly carry a full size Handgun.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry my Colt Commander two ways.
    With jacket....belt holster
    Without jacket....in a "camera" bag that has a holster inside and quick opening zipper tabs.

Mudge the armed

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!