In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Quest1 Extreme Enfield #5 MK1 Jungle Carbine??????

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Does anyone know anything about the Quest 1 Extreme Rifle which is "an updated design based on the Jungle Carbine"?. I had purchased a mil. surplus original Enfield Jungle Carbine No. 5, MK1, for $159.95 but the stock was in such bad shape (dented, dinged, oil soaked, small crack, etc) and the steel had a few heavily rusted areas and seemed to rate a fair to poor condition that I returned the gun to the seller and requested a refund. But the same company has the Quest rifle for sale as new and it costs $219.95 which seems like a good deal when compared to what I sent back.

I haven't talked to the seller yet, but I assume that Quest must have bought up a lot of clean, handpicked original mil. surplus rifles and then cleaned and reblued them and cut off the bayonet lug and either put on a brand new stock, or cut-down and cleaned up the old stock. I am thinking about ordering one cause I have a case of .303 ammo setting in the garage and not gun for .303.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."

Comments

• Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    I do not know anything about the Quest #5's but to me I would rather have a origional #1, #4 or #5. These guns have a lot of history behind them and can be found in a lot better condition you described for much the same amount of money. Perhaps the company you brought from has a origional in much better condition and will be able to send you a #1 or #4 for the price that you have already paid?

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    good post Gibbs505, but I just kind of lliked the looksof the jungle carbine. For an old WWII rifle it does look really cool.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
    edited November -1
    The Jungle carbines were good indeed except for the "wandering zero" problem. If these are a straight converson from the #4, then this should be quried.
    Good luck![:D][:D][:D]

• stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    http://www.gibbsrifle.com/sport.html

trfox,
    The Quest is just one of several rifles based on the Enfield action and built by Gibbs Rifle Company. Hope the answers you need are on their site.

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    thanks guys. I got to admit I don't care one bit for a "wandering zero". Seems like every neat gun has got some kind of blemlish.

edited November -1
    [:D][8D]The wandering zero was due to cuts made to lighten the receiver. If the reveiver is left unchanged by the Gibbs people then this should not be a problem![:)]
    However it will kick a lot more then the #4 or #1!!![:0][B)]

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I liked the website. I've had a couple of original (.303 Brit.) Jungle Carbines and really liked them. They both would shoot right with most pretty good .30-06s at the old Grandad's Ranch Shooting Range on Angeles Crest Highway.

I'd like another. These seem like good ones.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least you can get the original Enfield jungle carbines in .303 on a C&R license. The revamped guns are not C&Rs. I have heard people claim that the refinishing on the Quest guns MAY hide a multitude of sins, but then as you say somebody is always willing to speak ill of a rebuilt gun it seems.

I agree the Gibbs products are interesting, and I like the chamberings in .308 and the Pioneer in .45-70. But I have no doubt that if we start enjoying them too loudly a cloud will descend upon us from somewhere. I am curious about the Enfield .303, never having shot the round, and a British gun would be okay in my collection, but there's usually something I'd rather buy than a bolt action, and I certainly don't need anything with a wandering zero either. Still, a jungle carbine with flash hider (the originals don't usually have that feature) would be fun if it worked.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by offeror
    Still, a jungle carbine with flash hider (the originals don't usually have that feature) would be fun if it worked.

I had an Ishapore Enfield .308 jungle carbine that I bought off a friend for $75. That thing kicked like a mule, gave it to another friend for free! I have a full size .303 Enfield not sure what model, much more enjoyable to shoot.

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked for Gibbs Rifle Co. For awhile. Helped on the Quests some.
    Did my best to make sure they all functioned properly and at least looked decent. Didn't pass any with bad dings or rust. Didn't have any place to test fire though. That was back in 2000 however. Can't comment on anything after that.

Mudge the perfectionist

ps. Gibbs Rifle is/was owned by Val Forget (pronounced 4-jet) the elder who also owned Navy Arms. Young Val ran Gibbs and that's who I worked for. Old Val died last year so now young Val owns the whole works.

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>