In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Wright....eeeerrrr...Wong brothers.

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
HANOI, Vietnam - A Vietnamese farmer's longtime dream of owning a helicopter drove him and two friends to build their own from an old Russian truck motor - but military officials have grounded the idea.

Le Van Danh spent seven years and a small fortune - 450 million dong ($30,000) - to build the aircraft, downloading instructions from the Internet.

But military officials recently confiscated the chopper, saying Danh needed official permission to build and own it.

Danh has vowed not to back down.

"It's my hobby. I will do whatever I can, including going to the Prime Minister, to get the permission," he said in a telephone interview Monday.

"Our 'copter could lift up more than a half-yard from the ground," he said "We are in the process of a fifth test of moving forward and backward, left and right."

He said he's willing to sell his house and 25 acres of cassava fields to get permission to fly his craft.

But it still won't be easy, said Le Cong Tinh, director of the Air Transport Safety division of the country's Civil Aviation Administration. No Vietnamese individual has ever been granted a government license to build an aircraft, he said.

But Danh refuses to be disheartened. "If I cannot do it, my children or my grandchildren will do it," he said.

Danh lives in Tay Ninh, 62 miles northwest of Ho Chi Minh City.

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    It all starts with a dream. Unfurtunately, communism dosen't recognize the individuals rights to have their own aspirations.

aliens.jpg
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rldowns3
    It all starts with a dream. Unfurtunately, communism dosen't recognize the individuals rights to have their own aspirations.

aliens.jpg

Don't know that it's Communism per se. Any government will and does put arbitrary restrictions on it's citizens, some more draconian than others, it is the nature of governments to do so. Even the one we live under.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This guy needs to come to the U.S. Anyone with that sort of drive and creativity would be an asset to our country. He could try building it here in the Experimental Aircraft category.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All he needs to do is get as far as Mexico and he's in! Won't need all that troublesome paperwork that's required of the LAW ABIDING immigrants.[:(!]

Mudge the cynic

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!