In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What was that John Wayne movie?

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I saw a movie on the tube just before I had to go to work the other day, and didn't get the name of it, it had John Wayne, and he was helping out this drunk sheriff. Oh yea, John Wayne had a side kick named Mississippi, who had a double barrel shotgun cut up to about the size of a large pistol, and he could hit anything with it.What was that movie?

Comments

• .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was called "El Dorado". One of the most behind-kickin' movies the Duke ever made! Yeee-ha!!!
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep...El Dorado....Just a re-written script of "Rio Bravo". In Rio Bravo, Dean Martin played the drunk, Walter brennan played the "Old Guy" Ricky Nelson played the "state" only he was "Colorado" and Angie Dickinson played the love interest.Here's another "Duke" trivia question for ya'Name the movies that he died in.[This message has been edited by mudge (edited 09-10-2001).]
  • obelixobelix Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In El Dorado, of course, he only gets crippled. Wayne didn't starting dying till fairly well along in his career. First I can think of is De Mille's Reap the Wild Wind (also one of his few semi-villainous roles). The Sea Chase (Wayne as captain of a Nazi freighter, though NOT villainous!). The Alamo, of course. Liberty Valance (though his death is off-screen). The Cowboys (where Bruce Dern shoots him so he doesn't have to watch the ridiculous *). The Shootist. There may be more, but that's all I can come up with.
    edited November -1
    Yeah....I believe he was a boxer.Mudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry![This message has been edited by mudge (edited 09-10-2001).]
  • ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He died in eight movies...I believe all are named above.In what 4 JW movies did James Arness also play?What was JW's first movie in color?Who appeared seven times as JW's leading lady?Name three consecutive JW films in which Claire Trevor was billed above him.Other than stuntmen (and JW), who appeared in more JW movies than any other person?
    edited November -1
    Guesses and partials:James Arness: Big Jim McLain, Hondo, The Sea Chase, and ?First color film: The Shepherd of the Hills?Leading lady: Maureen O'Hara sounds logical, but I can't come up with sevenClaire Trevor: Don't know about the billing, but she was in Stagecoach, Allegheny Uprising and Dark CommandMost films: Terms of the question seem to rule out Yakima Canutt. Wild guess: Ward Bond?
  • ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm impressed:James Arness: Island in the Sky was #4.First color film: The Shepherd of the HillsCorrect Leading lady: Maureen O'Hara 5, Mae Marsh 7.Claire Trevor: Don't know about the billing, but she was in Stagecoach, Allegheny Uprising and Dark Command...CorrectMost films: Paul Fix was in 25 JW movies from 1931 to 1973. Canutt was in 30.I have a book with 501 JW trivia questions.Also have 141 movies on video plus many trailers, guest appearances, Academy Awards, advertisements, etc.What other well-known cowboy (later) was in Dark Command? Hint: Trigger was his horse.
    edited November -1
    I didn't need the Trigger clue. Roy Rogers --just before he took over as King of the Cowboys when Gene Autry went into the service -- plays the younger brother who seems to be on "Cantrell's" side but shifts to good guy in the last five minutes.I think of Mae Marsh as a character actress at this point in her career. And quite a career it was, over more than 50 years. In Griffith films of the teens she outranked Lillian Gish. She was the little sister in Birth of a Nation, who throws herself over a cliff to avoid a fate worse than death. When filming was over they realized they didn't have a shot of her actually going over, so they filmed a dummy taking the fall. It's pretty funny when you see it now, but Griffith had bad budget problems.
    edited November -1
    I was gonna' guess Paul Fix. I was also thinking of Hank Worden ("Mose" in The Searchers) and Ken Curtis. There's also a big ugly guy whose name I don't know that's a JW regular. Sorry Ref44....Gotta' give you a 15 yard penalty for illegal use of book!Mudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry![This message has been edited by mudge (edited 09-11-2001).]