In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I need a computer geek

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I'm not using the term "geek" as a pejorative. I need someone who's knowledgable beyond my meager skills.

Here's the question:
I'm getting a digital SLR camera. I have a 256mb memory card. Rather than buying another CF card, can I download the stuff that's on it to a CD through my computer? The re-writable CD's that we have say they hold 650mb. Am I correct in assuming that I could download the 256mb CF card twice onto the same CD? How difficult is it to do?

Help me...help me...for I am computerly challenged. [:(]

Mudge the electronically ignorant

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!

Comments

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    yes and no. If my understanding is correct you should be able to download the 256mb card twice onnto a cd. but with somet Cd-r you can only write to them once. So my solution for you would be to copy the 256 card onto your hard drive, into a directory. As soon as that directory reaches approx. 650mb burn it to the cd, and then delete the pics in the Hard drive directory. That should work well for ya. If you ahve any more questonis, please don't hesitate to ask.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buzzard is right. Create a download directory (file folder) for your pics on your PC's HD. As the directory content reaches 640+ meg, you can simply highlight all the files you want to copy, and drag 'n drop the files to a CD-R for permanent storage. You can probably use good quality CD-RWs for this too and re-use them, but they still need the group of files to burn all at once, each time you write the CD-RW.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Excellent advice Mudge. That is exactly the way we do our pictures. I have all of mine on HD but I also transfer them to a CD.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use Roxio(adaptec) cd burning software there is a function called Direct CD in that software. You use CD-RWs and format them with Direct CD, then those cds are just like a harddrive, you can drag and drop directly to the cd, delete and so on. Works just like a removable hardrive and files can be managed on it in the same way as a normal hardrive, also the is no BURN sessions, burning is done as you drag and drop. Another thing as well is YES you can do multiple burns on one cd, when setting up your burn session select Close Session, leave disk open. Too many people overlook this and close the CD with the session and the result is a CD that can no longer be wrote to but if you only close session and open CD you can go back and burn again untill you reach capacity. You can even leave the session open but that is another step into geekdom[:D] Remember, either use Direct CD with a CD-RW or close session and leave CD open, some software will refer to this as Finalize CD, don't finalize and yo ucan do multiple burns on one cd.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a computer "geek", however when I speak of computers, internet and email subjects the room hushes. ROFLMAO.gif

This is possibility due to my ability to speak 6 languages (if you count Canadian, Cajon and British) plus mastery of keyboards and software not written in English.

Did you know that some keyboards do NOT have the @ symbol shown on the key ? This is why America will stay ahead of everyone else.

So,,, the above advise is correct. One little suggestion. Get one of those card readers and leave it plugged into you USB port. Take your card out of camera, plug it into card reader and transfer. Oh,, I'll bet it will take a while to come up with 650 MB of images "worth saving"....

You do have USB don't you.

smallwaving.gif
    Chao
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Ditto!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice. Mrs. Mudge will have to interpret some of the stuff though.
    As far as a CF card reader goes, we have a HP 2410 combo unit that is scanner, fax, copier, and printer. It also has four different slots to read four different types of CF cards. We've used it to read the CF cards we now have. Works great.

Appreciate your help.

Mudge the enlightened

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!