In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tombstone

BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Just saw the movie for the first time.Dont know how true-to-history it is, but it sure was entertaining. That must have been a very strange era to live in.Val Kilmer did an especially good job as Doc Holliday, I thought. I've been disappointed with his recent material.That movie's got more catch-phrases than any other I've seen.Quick question though: I noticed that in most of the shooting scenes, they cocked the hammer manually before firing by pulling the trigger. I dont mean fanning the hammer, I mean cock, fire, cock, fire.This is one field of guns I'm ignorant on, probably due to the fact that I'm not allowed to touch a handgun or risk going to jail for hundreds of years. I couldnt tell you the difference between a double and a single action to save my life.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tombstone - 8:00 P.M., EST, tonight >>AMC [^]

Look, darlin', it's Johnny Ringo. Deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darlin', should I hate him? - Doc Holliday
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    no not the movie , I think Ill have this on my grave site [:D]

headstone.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got myself a copy of the subject western. I had always thought it was a good movie, but having not seen it in years, I had forgotten why.

Frankly, it's because of Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday and Michael Biehn as Johnny Ringo. Two stellar performances.

Some great writing for this flick too.

And of course the guns make the movie for any gun enthusiast.

Four scenes of note:
    When Wyatt confronts the current dealer at The Oriental and takes his job. Wyatt's mettle is unflinching.

When Johnny Ringo whips his pistol all around and then Doc does the same... with his cup.

In the shoot out at the river, Jack Johnson and Doc have a conversation:

Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Doc, you oughta be in bed, what the hell you doin this for anyway?

Doc Holliday: Wyatt Earp is my friend.

Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Hell, I got lots of friends.

Doc Holliday: I don't.

And of course the scene where Doc out draws Ringo.

Good stuff!
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    The action you saw was a single. Yes you can fan them but thats mostly show. To hit anything besides a croud or a barn door you have to aim. Aim quickly!
    Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Single action = trigger only releases the hammer, hammer must be manualy set before each shot.Double action = trigger will set and release the hammer, can usually also be used in the single action mode
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That movie, as far as the catch-phrases are concerned, is really accurate. Check out a book called "The Frontier World of Doc Holiday", it has the newspaper accounts and the transcripts of the trials. The OK Corral scene was extremely accurate (except they were shooting black powder and couldn't see much). The most glaring inaccuracy is that Holiday and Ringo never fought, although they squared off a couple of times. Also, When Earp kicked Johnny Tyler out of the Oriental, Holiday was with him and pointing a gun at Tyler. Tyler came back with a shotgun, and Holiday, gun holstered, with a shotgun pointed at his chest, stated that he could draw and kill Tyler before Tyler could pull the trigger. Tyler ran. Everyone in town started saying "Still running, Johnny?" whenever they saw him, and he had to leave town from embarassment!Great movie, though, and great book, as well.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JR- "well, I was beginning to think you werengoing to show"DH- "I'm your huckleberry"JR- "fights not with you holiday"DH- "I beg to differ sir,....we started a game we never got to finish, play for blood remember"JR-"alright lunger,..I'll put you out of your misery"DH-"say when"JR- "cack,....cough"DH- "come on,...Johnnny,....Your no daisy, your no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just,....too high strung"I love that movie.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't live too far from Tombstone Arizona. I was disappointed on how commercialized it is now! I understand it'sbound to happen, but still... It's the last remnant of the Old West!Sigh
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought Val Kilmer did a great job as well, though he was far too healthy to be the tubercular wraith he portrayed. Dennis Quaid played Doc in "Wyatt Earp" and really looked the part (he got down to 140 lbs. for the role) and captured Holiday's ill temper. The movie, though, sucked wind.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    niklasal:You're dead wrong pardner. The 'old west' is alive and well around here. It's not well known because a greenhorn doesn't recognize the old west when he sees it. It's not horses and sweat or gunsmoke and tobacco. It's a "Howdy neighhor." that turns into twenty minutes parked side-by-side on a country road, shootin' the bull, people squeezin' past and waving. It's getting' bogged down in a snowdrift and having a couple gals haul your butt out with their 4X4, one herdin' and one hookin' up and an offer to pay a high insult. It's leavin' your place unlocked when you go out of town, hell, the neighbor may need to use the welder. It's tellin' the neighbor kid to watch his mouth and knowin' your neighbor will return the favor for your kid. It's not being afraid to express your opinion and being secure enough to respect anothers.Nope, the old west is here. And my grandkids prove it will last at least another generation, God willin'.Clouder..
  • Options
    elmos608elmos608 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the line about the "Steet Howitzer."
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought "Tombstone" wasn't much more than a chance for all the stars to wear as many different, and unauthentic, costumes as possible. The Kevin Costner movie was incredibly long but pretty accurate.The movie with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas was another POS.Quaid was the best "Doc" I ever saw.You want to see a real piece of Hollywood trash, check out "My Darling Clementine" sometime. The only thing close to accurate was the fact that they used the correct names.Mudge Ebert
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye, how come you can't touch a handgun? My #2 son is 14 years old. I just gave him his first handgun, a Ruger Standard.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Bullz lives in NY...
    Stand And Be Counted
  • Options
    edited November -1
    New York State law, as far as I know.Gun stores will not sell you a handgun, handgun ammo (which is why I can get that Winchester lever action I've been wanting), or so much as a handgun holster until they see a NYS handgun permit.No permit till you are 21.
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The movie is very accurate. Not 100% but darn close. I saw a History Channel show on the OK Corral gunfight and according to the records from that day, the dialog in the movie is almost word for word.We have a stash of movies at "The Farm" where we hunt. Tombstone is a Farm Classic, and as such is watched every year during deer season."I'm your huckleberry"KC
  • Options
    Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Why Ed Bailey if I thought you were not my friend, I just don't think I could bear it.""Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens!""Jerk that pistol and go to work!""Are you gonna do somethin' or are you just gonna stand there and bleed?""And you music lover, I got two guns, one for each of ya.""Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave.""Wyatt, I am rolling!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The odd thing is, I've been talking like Doc Holliday my entire life without realizing it.Except for the Southern genteel accent, of course. Just the vocabulary and manner. Nothing but permanent reloca-sheeownto the heart of the Southland will remedy that pah-ticular absence in my mannah of speakin'!I su-pose I'd bettah take a hahd look into the matta, so as to best pro-ject mah genteel mannah.How's that? That good? [This message has been edited by Bullzeye (edited 02-28-2002).]
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think we like Tombstone and Val Kilmer in it just because we like his style, whether it is historically accurate or not. Why let the facts get in the way of a good story?And speaking of facts, can anyone give me a link to something definitive about purchasing handgun ammo in NY State? What is considered handgun ammo? There is a lot of cross-over with rifles (carbines) that will take what is generally thought of as pistol ammo and pistols that will take what is generally thought of as rifle ammo (fewer of those). For example, is .22 LR rifle or pistol ammo? The name says "Rifle" but a lot of pistols use it. I've purchased lots of 9mm ammo from stores in NY State and nobody asked me for ID, much less a pistol permit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    B&J Shooting Supply on Central Ave. in Albany told me they could not sell 9mm, .357 Mag, .38 Special, .40, .44 Mag, .45 ACP, or .45 Long Colt to anyone without a handgun permit.They quoted me those specifically, so I wrote them down.
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that the new place near the defunct Builders Square store? I saw that sign in there about pistol ammo. I can't find any reference to that in NY State law, but I readily admit I don't know the law that well. What I can tell you for sure is that I've purchased 9mm ammo at three different places in the greater Albany area without a permit. One of them was Dick's Sporting Goods at Crossgates Mall.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, You're probably right clouder. I just got a lot of the east coast cynicism and paranoia I have to work out still.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Crossgates, eh?I just must look way too young. Or else way too suspicious.They carded me for a modified choke tube.
  • Options
    Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my AK at B&J's in Albany. Hey Bullzeye, did you see the hot number workin' in there? She is almost 6 feet tall, a brunnette and tottally hot, oh and she was female(for those looking to bust my nuts)Anyway, I think she was the daughter of the owner but not sure. Also when I was there they had an LAR Grizzly on the counter, very cool.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hans...Hans...lighten up...you're beginning to breathe funny.Mudge the monitor
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clouder,We live thousands of miles apart,But in the same place.I have looked out and seen my lowboy gone a hundred times,Came back a hundred and one.Rancher down the road said he shot my dog,I apologize to him.If someone's horse is out,everybody is after it.Dog bites a stranger,No one knows who it belongs to.Would not trade it for the Trump towers.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    loan sharkloan shark Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several years ago when that movie first came out on video, I went to a party at a friends house to watch it. MANY beers later we would rewind the numerous phrases and we would all repeat along with the actor. Don't know if it was the beer or the movie, but I still laugh thinking about it. Best party I ever went to. Never laughed so hard in my life.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Did sombody say somethin` about Val/Doc???I AM VAL/DOC!!!.218