In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

It's getting a little slow around here.

shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Am I the only one that's been hunting around here? Surly there is a gun season somewhere in the country someone wants to talk about. Smokepole season opens here in N.C. next week. Don't let me be the only one hunting!!! Has anyone been shooting anything? Fur,Feathers,Cans,Paper, ANYTHING??

Comments

• Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    shane,I`ve been shootin` lizards out`da trees behind the house ,just to get ready,and the West Virginia gun season is still about 7 weeks away.I`ve been shootin` them out of the trees,pointin` from the hip at 20ft with a pellet gun.I bought a large upright comercial freezer,a couple months ago,man.I`m ready for this trip!!!
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    218, I hope you fill that freezer slap full! Hey, Shooting those lizards sounds like fun!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah,they`re not native,they probably came over in bales of reefer on boats.My back yard is loaded with`em........lizards that is.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 10-04-2001).]
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing to talk about yet. General rifle season opened for deer last weekend. We didn't draw our hunts this year, so just went general. We only hunt about an hour away and the season is almost a month long, so we decided not to go full bore yet. Plus, it's been about 90-degrees here the past week. We're waiting for the weather to be a bit more favorable.To answer your question, I walked up on some black bears about 15 minutes after I left the truck on opening day. Put a little hop in my step to say the least. Not what I was expecting right off the bat. I spent Sunday helping my buddy look for a deer he shot at but missed. He's a terrible shot, but thinks he's a great hunter. Great guy, that's for sure. I hiked out of one canyon and into the next to help him look. That's how I spent my Sunday. No shots for me. This weekend will be a little more calm because it's not opening weekend, so we're going to hit it a little harder. I'll let you know how it turns out. Hopefully I have some nice pics to share.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For Bow & BP enthusiasts, season has been open here for a while. And for those of us who enjoy seeing waterfowl tumbling into the water [or holes in the sky - grin], we've already had one season & the second opened yesterday. When I hit the lottery, I'll follow the seasons down (skipping the MA - MD area!)
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting my mouth off about how much I hate terrorists, paperwork, car repair costs, and litter, but nobody seems to be listening. I could add Marty Schottenheimer to the list, as well as Hillary Clinton. More to come. . .
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .218 I think you are yarnin' It will take a heck of a lot of lizards to fill that new freezer shot from the hip or over the shoulder with a mirror or however. You spend to much time here to be shooting THAT many lizards!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog,come ta think of it,the lizard shootin` has been slackin` off some.There`s a big one out there now,on the side of a tree,my trees are all nicked up,from me blastin them off the bark.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 10-04-2001).][This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 10-04-2001).]
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think bow season opens soon here in missouri but since I don't bow hunt I will be taking my 9 yr. old boy on his first youth hunt oct. 27 and 28. It during bow season but before gun season. I will be going shooting on friday. I have a IDPA match sunday and I want to take my AR15 out to make sure it's sighted in for the tactical long range rifle shoot. Might take a couple deer rifles with me and try to sight them in. I haven't shot my 7mm mag for a couple of years and I want to shoot my new 300 UM. I mounted a scope and bought a box of shells but haven't shot it yet. Might hunt with it this year.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Shot a pair of coyotes on my desert rifle range.....they never should have poked their heads outta that gulley!
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bowhunting opened uphere in Pennsylvania last saturday. Got out this morning. Didnt see any deer, but a ton of turkeys, and the floor was absolutely littered with a shmorgasboard of acorns and other assortments. Next time I go into the woods, I am bringing a hardhat for the nutsatafalling.I leave for a weekend Turkey, grouse and Squirrel trip tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will,now that is what I call a good day!!!Wish I had a chance to shoot some coyotes,saw one a few months ago,but it was far away,runnin` fsst,and I was on a movin` swamp buggy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is good boys, It makes me feel better knowing that if the good old USA ever got invaded, at least some of us will remember who to shoot back. Practice,practice,practice! I got my 6inch S&W 357mag out today and shot it some, just becouse I could.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    357Mag,now that is a lizard killer,for sure!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've never shot a lizzard with it but I did shoot a squirrel once. I didn't think I would hit it sence it was running across a log,but I did and, What a mess it was!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Squirell puddin`!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There wasn't even enough left to make pudding! I really hated that too!! I like squirrel meat!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shane,that`s why i go for head shots on them lizards!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lizard meat!?! Now that is somthing I've never tried! I think I'll stay with deer meat!!!!!!!
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    beekeep, I was actually using my Primos Power Howler out on the range, just kinda showin it off and all.......they was all of a sudden lookin over that hil. Busted one at 200yds and the other got about to 300 when I remembered to make that hurt dog noise. Dog stopped and I waxed him. Not bad for a .223!Combined technologies balistic silvertips in IMI brass......first bullets I ever made. Like I said before..............(see signature)
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will270win, That's some impressive shootin![This message has been edited by shane (edited 10-05-2001).]
  • Options
    truckershaverightstootruckershaverightstoo Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man,,am I the only one here in Penn. that knows about red tag season????? Dude I already got 9 deer killed this year and they are all LEGAL!!!got to try out some new loads for a couple of my rifles including my newly custom built 7mm ultra mag. WHAT A GUN ! sitting on the fence row at 8am looking out across the strips of alfalfa between the corn out walked a big 'ol doe and two little ones..........broke out the bushnell yardage pro and got 'em at 676 yards.........layed down on my belly and opened up the bipods on my new 7um.......looked thru my burris scope and placed the 3rd line down on her shoulder and then with a carefull squeeze of the jewel trigger I got blasted back into the corn. When I got my senses back I grabbed my nikon spotting scope and saw her on the ground kicking. WHAT A GUN!!!WOW!
    you may cut me off in traffic with your little car but you can't outrun my .223's !
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunting! I think I heard my Dad speak of it. He said it was fun. It's so dry out here all we do is hunt for water. Any of you having that problem?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Trucker, The only thing I can say about a 600+yd shot is DANG!!!!!!! The only way I can get a bullet to go where I want it to that far away is to mail it! And 9 deer!! I'm still only hunting for my third one for the year.I'm sure I'll get it and a few more but it will take me a little while.[This message has been edited by shane (edited 10-05-2001).]
  • Options
    truckershaverightstootruckershaverightstoo Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ohh,forgot to tell you, my buddy was up over the rise and shot that doe with his 'o6, but dude let me tell you that 7mm um KICKED!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bet it didn't just kick a little either!218, Can you hit a lizard from that far away with one of your bees?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    `Fraid them Bees don`t like to fly that far!!!
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    218bk I got a recipe that might work on those lizards. Take a .22cal 53/55 gr. FMJ bullet turn it around backwards, load her up. See when i get bored stuff just happens.
    Work'n like a dog all nite
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not bragging I'm just,...........well, O.K. I'm braggin. I got me another deer this evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are gonna have a hard time catching up. That trucker guy has me beat but I don't get 9 deer tags. (that sucks!!)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shane,nothin`against the trucker,but did ya hear all that fancy equipment he was usin`?I like to go a little more basic than that,I think you do too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep, until monday I'm using sticks & strings. Then I get to spit some lead out of my smoke pole that doesn't even have one of those fancy scopes. Oh man I can't wait!!!!!!I've been watching a nice 6 point that will not get close enough for my Bow. His butt is MINE come monday morning!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know the feelin ,shane,I been stalkin` a couple big lizards that won`t let me get close enough for a hip shot ,with a pellet gun.I`m gettin` ready to take out one of my .22s ,some sub sonics ,and blast em off the side of the trees.I don`t care if there`s any meat left or not ,at this point.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have you ever shot any 22long tracers? They would make your lizard hunting a little more fun, I bet.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was deployed to Honduras there were these ducks that were all over the place. They were the ugliest things that I had ever seen. They literally looked like a cross between a goose and a vulture. One guy who managed to get his bow into the country pinned one to the ground. I just did sadistic things like feed them leftover chicken. One guy fed them extra malaria pills.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No Deer legal to gun hunt in my area till around December, could try early Blackpowder....too many leaves on the trees...I prefer snow. BeeKeep, don't have any lizards to practice on up here....I usually practice shooting at flies. Sprinkle a little Coke on a piece of paper, let it dry....then when the fly lands on the dried sugar, you take em' out. You'll know when it hit....there will be bug blood around the hole. (.22 rimfire @ 50-100 yards....20X scope). I haven't been home for a few days....currently at my inlaws in West Virginia....I was looking for your hunting lodge....even packed my smoking jacket.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rem., One quick confession before I head back to the show......it aint exactly what you`re probably used to!