In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A slight victory in Louisiana

RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Heard on the news yesterday that the Supreme Court ended an attempt by some antis in LA to bring a suit against the firearms industry for making "dangerous" products.
Crush your enemies, drive their horses before you, hear the lamentation of their women.--Genghis Khan

Comments

• Options
    Andrew AdamsAndrew Adams Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redleg,This isn't a slight victory, it is a major, major victory. By refusing to hear the argument, the Supreme Court has given tacit approval to state laws that prohibit cities from bringing "wrongful death" lawsuits against gun manufacturers.For people like me who live in big states with big cities, this means that our local legislators can work to stop big city idiots from damaging the gun makers.In PA in particular, this ruling has ground to a halt the lawsuits that both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh wanted to bring against the gun makers. The same is also true in Conn. where the DA in Bridgeport admitted yesterday that he now has no legal ground to stand on in attempting to prosecute his lawsuit against firearm manufacturers.IMHO, this is the largest single victory in the fight to keep and bear arms in a number of years. Remember that if the gun manufacturers are driven to bankruptcy, the right to keep and bear arms becomes moot, as there won't be any new arms to bear.I for one would like to add a few shiny new firearms to my collection in the next few years, so I applaud the Supreme Court for their courageous decision.
    When you want to dial long distance...AT&T, .223, or Jeremiah 33.3?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No question about it. I am not a kid like Andrew, but I have my eye on a few shiny new things too. And .218 is holding a Model 99 Savage in .257 for me I am hoping to see any time now.
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is another side to this story.By refusing to hear arguments, the Supreme Court, leaves or recognizes the States right to regulate the industry.That is to say that, if a state passes a law that does not infringe on the Constitution, or Federal law, it becomes a matter of state concern.In other words if the lawmakers or citizens of a state enact laws that are within the bounds of not infringing on individual rights, the Supreme Court is signaling it's willingness to allow that law to stand.For instance, if a State decides to pass a law requiring gun safety training, and yearly licensing of all guns owners from a certain date onwards, the Supreme Coart may very well chose not to intervene.The reason why is because a compelling argument can be made that such a law is in the best interest of the citizenry, under the guise of protecting the public welfare of it's citizens.Such a bill stands before us here in Kalifornia.The only way to defeat such laws is to carry the fight against such thinking with good solid arguments and lawmakers that can use common sense, and see through the smoke screen of such liberal idealology.We need to be alert and actively involved to defend against all comers, who would erode our Constitutional rights.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    He Dog,I don`t even know if such a gun exists!!! .218