In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Worst poachers?

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I'm always amazed that environmentalists accuse the US of species extinction while other countries seem to go un-noticed. I think Japan and most Oriental cultures are the biggest poachers of all. They were the prime markets for Ivory, bear gall bladders, whale parts, rhino horns and antlers of all types for aphrodisiac's. Recently read where the Native American's would drive an entire herd of buffalo off a cliff killing far more than they needed for food and hides. Archiologists have discovered skeletal remains under cliffs proving this type of hunting method....yet the politically correct would have us believe that Indians only used what they needed....and never abused nature. No question many market hunters and other early frontier settlers overhunted and decimated some wildlife species. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I`ll get back with ya,it`s got somethin` ta do with gators.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem -The high prices paid for certain items in the Asian black markets is unquestionably a - if not the - major factor in the poaching of endangered species. Much like the drug trade - without that demand, there would be little profit incentive to indulge in the illegal activity. As to the buffalo, I'm probably incorrect, but believe the cliff hunting was used before the Spanish brought horses to this continent; horses broadened the spectrum of hunting techniques available to the indigenous people. I'd want to see the entire analysis before making any conclusions as to how much of the animal was wasted. What is indisputable is that the buffalo herds were unimaginably huge in 1800 and virtually nonexistant in 1900 because of market and 'sport' hunting. Given, however, what I have heard from original sources about the 'conservation' practices of many of the present descendants of the first colonists (from Asia), I rather suspect that the preservation of wildlife had more to do w/ limited weaponry & manpower than reverence for life.
  • Options
    biganimalbiganimal Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't poaching shooting from da poach?
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ain't much poachin allowed 'round thes parts, onli poach is the front un, an di muthrnlaw lives rite across di path rite across.Wife don't allow no poachin, nun et al.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What gets me is how a Poacher can wait 11 months to get his license and tag legally, then kill one after legal shooting hours during the season. The local wardens are undermanned and their equipment at times is a joke. I drove past the Decoy deer a couple nights ago. The Decoy was a WhiteTail, which would be fine but this is Blacktail country, the differences in color and appearance just didn't allow it to fit in, it absolutely looked fake. I talked to them later and both were depressed that no one had shot their decoy. I told them they should feel good that no one shot it, that should prove that most of the HUNTERS in the area are not POACHERS.
  • Options
    biganimalbiganimal Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in a cafe last year and heard these 2 fellers laughin about how they saw a DEC decoy deer in a field just looking to get shot. so these crazy boys snuck thru the goldenrod and hooked a chain and padlock to the darn thing so the gubmint boys couldn't take it home at the end of thier shift. they hade to get a set of bolt cutters from a local garage to cut the lock. them boys musta felt real good knowing that someone snuck up on em and they never saw a thing. i don't cotten to no poachers but this sure made me laugh !!!
  • Options
    NEEDCOLDNEEDCOLD Member Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got to say that yes, the asian market for bear gall bladders poses a real threat and is a terrible reason to poach animals. With all of their education and wisdom, couldn't they come up with 'bear farms' like our mink farms and whatever other farms we have for furriers.But the worst poacher I've ever seen was on a videotape years ago shown to us young DU members. It was of a guy in Louisiana just shooting every duck he could see. He was scootin down the river/bayou in his boat jumping the ducks, shooting them and leaving them. Yeah, this guy was a great shot(the boat was moving pretty quick), but he was filming this for himself with the help of undercover wardens. He must have shot 18-24 ducks in the 30 (+/-) min. tape and just left them. So I guess that he was not too bright.I think that these are the worst poachers. Just killing for the sake of killing and ruining out national treasures. Just for a thrill.
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sheriff next county over.
    Work'n like a dog all nite
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    legn4,....sounds like a story that needs telling...
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rembrant, Its better that some stories don't get told you know what i mean.
    Work'n like a dog all nite
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    My cousin`s 2 boys spotted one of them fake deers,pulled over and shot it with a .222 rifle from about 150 yards.Said they saw hair fly off the shoulder,but the deer didn`t move,shot again,more hair flew off,deer didn`t move.He told his brother "I know my rifle,an I aint-a-missin`",shot it again,same thing all over. Then he told his brother(as he was finally starting to figure out what was goin on) "somethin`s wrong with that damned deer,les * da hell outta here!!!!They jumped in the truck and floored it,and out from a side road came a wildlife officers truck,stopped em ,gave em the what fer,asked em their last name.When hearing their last name the officers just laughed(remembering their dad and uncles)and said "you boys`ll never learn".
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 09-24-2001).]