In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gunshow question

mybadodgemybadodge Member Posts: 118 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in General Discussion
this might seem like a dumb question but here goes anyway...I'm sure it differs from state to state to some degree but without a Concealed Carry License, am I allowed to take my gun (unloaded obviously) to a gunshow? Just looking to purchase a holster and possibly a couple other things for it but don't want to get home and realize it's not the right size or whatever. Anyone know the do's and don'ts about this? thanks in advance

Bob

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    What State are you in? What are your local laws about transporting a gun?

Here in Florida, at gun shows you can take anything you like, they are inspected and sealed at the front door, with a Zip strip,

Just check your local laws, or contact the people running the show>

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely in VA and I would imagine any other State that allows gun shows.( The only stupid question is the one you dont ask)Hope this helps.If its different in any other State Im not aware of Im sure some one will fill you in.

Best!!

Rugster
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks guys. I'm in Florida Classic so your info helps a lot. where are you located? I'm in st pete and am gonna check out the suncoast gunshow aug 11th up in pinellas park

Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    saxonpig,

how do I UMload it? haha j/k :)
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't imagine a gun show in this country where you can't bring a gun to either sell or be appraised or even worked on by an armorer, and of course you've got to have it with you if you want a good buy on a used holster because most good used leather is in a big box and you've got to sort through and find one that fits.

The only difference would be in rules regarding transportation to the show and of course, how they secure your gun when you get to the doorway. Even in my rather gun friendly state there's an off-duty cop or someone at a table to inspect each weapon and make it safe. Be sure the gun(s) you take are empty of ammo, and if possible make the poor inspector less nervous (and make yourself look smarter) by handing him the gun in a safe manner -- i.e., not with the muzzle pointing at him, and preferably with the action open if possible so he can tell you've done your part. Tell him you're looking for holsters so he secures it in such a way that it will still fit the leather. Do not "try out" any gun at a gun show by loading any shell into any gun, unless you are given permission by a vendor of snap-caps to try one. Do not point any gun at anyone at a gun show, empty or otherwise. It proves you haven't yet learned that "every gun is always loaded." Otherwise, have a fabulous time. A gun show is one of the few places where you can carry openly to and from the parking lot and not get in a lot of trouble, in most states.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like rugster said "The only stupid question is the one you dont ask".In Denver (for a very short time) they made it a law that you could not even transport any assult rifle THROUGH the city limits. That was so stupid it did not last long and was repealed. You still can not own one if you live in the city. In Boulder if you carry any gun in your car you have to have it plainly marked in a case as to be a gun. Keep in mind these are the exceptions not the rule. Not real gun friendly cities.

If I knew then, what I know now.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I am in Pasco County, Hudson Fla.

Just unload it and show it at the door. they will disable it. Have fun

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny. At my show a few vendors have started carrying mini-cutter/plyers, advertising that they're just right for snipping those plastic ties they put on your gun at the door. Makes me wonder if most guys don't have a full mag in their other pocket on the chance a nut case turns up at the show. I'll take the Fifth on it.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    If I am not mistaken, In florida you can carry your gun if your taking it to the gunshop, if you are going to be doing certain out door activities (fishing, camping etc...unless you are in a state park, then the parks restrict it) or if you are going to a gun show...there are several exceptions to being able to carry a gun on you without having a CCW. You may want to check out packing.org for more info...and check with some local gunshops...but as far as the gunshow...you shouldn't have a problem. Down here in Miami, they take a plastic cable tie and put it through the barrel and out the ejection port. Its funny to see some of the cops they have doing that handle the firearms...some of them are really clueless.

Alex
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    mybadodge:

Don`t bother with any ties,
    just let Billy with suncoast
    do it all at the door.

I`ll probably see you at Pinellas Park,
    I work for Century Arms Of Naples.We`ll
    be at the Lakeland Center this weekend,
    if ya feel like goin` to a show sooner.