In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Orangeburg S.C.

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
...anyone know where this is?....I have several kin fro the area.....1771....[:o)]

Comments

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I-26 between Columbia and Charleston.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will be going through there in May!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Word of advice.. Keep going on up the road..keep the doors locked if traveling thru. Just look at the demographics. I am south of Columbia about 7 mile in a small town. Give me an email if you go up 26 to Columbia

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Orangeburg-South-Carolina.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangeburg,_South_Carolina
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Word of advice.. Keep going on up the road..keep the doors locked if traveling thru. Just look at the demographics. I am south of Columbia about 7 mile in a small town. Give me an email if you go up 26 to Columbia

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Orangeburg-South-Carolina.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangeburg,_South_Carolina
    ....so your saying I want be welcome?1st_confederate-1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am saying be careful and do your business in the daylight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will be doing research on my relatives....if I show them my 3% card ,will I be OK?
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No reason to fear I have spent some time there it isn't Detroit or DC for goodness sake.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hwy 301, had some good * hunts in the berg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by evileye fleagal
    hwy 301, had some good * hunts in the berg

[:)][:)]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, that's where my folks were before, during, and after the revolutionary war.
    What's next?
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Yep, that's where my folks were before, during, and after the revolutionary war.

How old are your folks? Don
  • Options
    bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard of it...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

Mine are old....
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

Mine are old....

I was not asking about yours! Don
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The graph looked to me like the crime rate is less than double the national average.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Mine are old....

I was not asking about yours! Don
    When you post on my thread , I will answer...You Got That?
  • Options
    218beekeeper218beekeeper Member Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I`ve traveled through Orangburg so many times it ain`t even funny.Usually going back and forth between Fl and WV,mostly Hwy 21.and 77.....Once I was driving south,started looking for a room about 100 miles north of orangeburg ,and there were none to be had.Finally I asked a waitress in an Orangburg diner (needed coffee)what was going on,why were there no rooms(about 2:am).I thought she said "colored festival"...but realized while going down the road,that she had said"collard festival".........218
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Strange....same thing happened to me.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

[:D] Old! [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will be doing research on my relatives....if I show them my 3% card ,will I be OK?

pwillie: You don't plan on doing research on your relatives at the court house in Orangeburg do you?
    What's next?
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was there some years ago, has to be one if the most racist towns I have ever been in - and I have been in many places#128701;
  • Options
    edited November -1

pwillie: You don't plan on doing research on your relatives at the court house in Orangeburg do you?
    Well, I thought about it....like to look at some of the records id available...got any advice?
  • Options
    edited November -1

Well, I thought about it....like to look at some of the records id available...got any advice?

My advice would be to identify the documents that you'd like to research, i.e. birth, marriage, death, land, etc. and then go online to Orangeburg County genealogy resources. Once you have done that, you'll probably not visit their county court house, libraries, or any other local source. I say this because the vast majority of pre Revolutionary War records were destroyed when the British occupied the town. Everything was probably burned up or became lost. The those records accumulated between then and the War of Northern Aggression were sent to Columbia, I believe, for safekeeping, and Sherman's army burned up. Then the records accumulated between then and, I believe, very early 1900s, the court house burned down. Your best bet for records regarding people that lived in the County/District rest with those records in the state archives at Columbia. Also, don't overlook the changes to the County/District boundary lines as some records will be kept in different adjoining counties. Then, too, the benefit of visiting neighboring counties and libraries is important.

What "specifically" are you looking for, or are you in the hunter gatherer mode based on surnames at the present time?
    What's next?
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,444 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Beekeeper!!![:)] How the heck are ya?
  • Options
    edited November -1

My advice would be to identify the documents that you'd like to research, i.e. birth, marriage, death, land, etc. and then go online to Orangeburg County genealogy resources. Once you have done that, you'll probably not visit their county court house, libraries, or any other local source. I say this because the vast majority of pre Revolutionary War records were destroyed when the British occupied the town. Everything was probably burned up or became lost. The those records accumulated between then and the War of Northern Aggression were sent to Columbia, I believe, for safekeeping, and Sherman's army burned up. Then the records accumulated between then and, I believe, very early 1900s, the court house burned down. Your best bet for records regarding people that lived in the County/District rest with those records in the state archives at Columbia. Also, don't overlook the changes to the County/District boundary lines as some records will be kept in different adjoining counties. Then, too, the benefit of visiting neighboring counties and libraries is important.

What "specifically" are you looking for, or are you in the hunter gatherer mode based on surnames at the present time?
    I guess I'm trying to ratify their birthplace...and see how far back I can trace the heritage...what kind of life they lived etc...going to Ocean Isle , in N.C. See if there is any "vibes" in the area....I had an epiphany at Gettys burg...so......[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

I guess I'm trying to ratify their birthplace...and see how far back I can trace the heritage...what kind of life they lived etc...going to Ocean Isle , in N.C. See if there is any "vibes" in the area....I had an epiphany at Gettys burg...so......[:o)]

Do yourself an incredible favor. Visit Columbia, SC, and Raleigh, NC state archives and libraries, first. You'll be glad that you did, happier than a pig in you know what, actually.

I have some SC records, and should you want to send me a name or two, then I'll check them out for you.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guy... I have PM,d you...
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Beekeeper!!![:)] How the heck are ya?
    Hey there he is!..I`m ok,how bout you?