In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

218 beekeep It's for you

guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Beekeep, I have two steam locomotive whistles in the house. One is a display peice, the other is for fun. We hook it up to the big compresser when we are driving spikes. It is great fun to see the rail buffs come a looking for that ghost train they can hear but not see! Is that rotton or what? :-)

Comments

• Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Pretty cool,I forgot that`s what you do for a living.We haven`t had a train run this far south in over 40 years...heard a whistle one day,turns out it was one they put in at a shopping plaza...named Grand Central Station.Is that rotten..or what?.218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is the *! At least where we are working there is a train around somewhere! Shopping centers,,, they will do anything for a buck!
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i guy i knew in college told me this story: he had worked in a foundry that replaced parts for a railroad company- the parts being replaced hadn't been made original in 100 yrs or something so these 2 guys w/ my friends assistance made sand molds of needed replacements out of bronze...the 2 long-timers who where stationed at this foundry seemed to be almost forgotten by the railroad and no "supervisor" per-se ever showed up to restrain these guys from duplicating a working, life sized locomotive out of bronze...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bronze locomotive! I would love to scrap that!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    also, here in chicago there was 2 cabooses(caboosi?) for sale for 2k, but were cut off from track somehow. i thought that they would make a cool cabin -neato wood stove and bunks and table etc.,until i thought about how the hell i'd get 'em out of chicago...if i only knew then that i could call on gunsnpainthorses(who would, no doubt, think i was nuts...)but would shackle 'em up to the trusty dodge and drag them and me to the promised land....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey love rat,careful..a stunt like that may get ya to the promised land.Would be a nice cabin..stick `em together,and have an east wing and a west wing!!.218
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    A gutted Winebago makes a good shooting house.
    When it absolutely, positively,has to be destroyed overnight.....U.S. MARINES. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bee- i wasn't proposing to the man, but then again, you could probably do worse...besides, i almost got the $ for my gals ring today(nefarious deck/pyramid building scheme i'm involved in..). anyway, since i'm on this "train" of thought, i'm reminded of the time i placed a log over the 2:30 train tracks next to my grandma's house. i thought i was going to derail a train and was too afraid to go back and remove it...a horrible feeling, actually, and one i never intend to repeat. to sum up,"always go back to remove the log- you'll feel better". even if you're not trying to derail a train. even if you are....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nuts?,,,, No way! We have moved caboose's more than once. It ain't as hard as one might think. And yes, they do make great cabins! A state park in Nebrasks (Two Rivers) has about a dozen old Union Pacific cabooses that they use for cabins. You can't get a bookin for two years!
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Them thing are good bullet stopers as refugesin hunting growds they are quite good ,youdon't have to worry getting shot wile taking a nap ..
    Good , Bad ? Who cares? as long I am the one with the GUN..
  • Options
    Mom MomMom Mom Member Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old caboose make neat sleeping berths. I once worked for a company that had inherited 2 old caboose, next to a small lake, out in the middle of nowhere. There were also three A frames on the property. Once they combined operations at another location, the lake became the staff off day hang out. Cabooses with bunks....in a secluded location.....quite interesting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes....very!.218