In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is gone......

legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
In your hunting area (or life time)what is not there no more? For me it is rabbits & quails.
Work'n like a dog all nite

Comments

• Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wabbits and big bucks. we have an inbreeding problem with deer(must be from Ark) and they just don't grow like they used to.
    If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No pheasants in SE Michigan. Beach
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beach is right on the pheasants (or lack thereof). And, the Great Lakes are now infested with the Zebra mussel and Goby fish which are changing the habitat so much that yellow perch have almost disappeared from the shallow waters. Years ago I could fill up a 5 gallon bucket in about 3 hours right off the piers. Today, I'd be lucky to catch a dozen small ones in the same amount of time. But, the good news is that Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie have gotten a lot cleaner and there are a LOT of walleye and perch if you have a boat to get out a few miles from shore.
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People with common sense. I think they are almost extinct.
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Not many Quail down here anymore..heard an interesting theory on why...fire ants get the little ones.Not something that bothers me,but the big Diamond Back Rattlers are no where near as common as before...heard an interesting theory on why...wild hogs eat them..218
  • ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The washington ground squirrel.I put em on the endangered list shortley after the 10-22 was invented.Had to retire that Ruger.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found that pheasant were a lot more scarce in eastern Nebraska (of all places) this year than they were in the past. I went out with a buddy twice during pheasant season. We saw about 10 pheasant the first day and none the second day. We weren't using a dog but you shouldn't have to use one in the areas we were hunting. A lot of other hunters were complaining about the same thing. It seems that the coyote and fox populations are growing and are killing quite a few of my favorite birds.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pheasants are history. I believe because nobody traps skunks, raccoons or possums anymore. Conservation Dept says its overbuilding but I can't buy it. Turkeys and deer are increasing and there are solid reports of coyotes in NJ.
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Nebraska jack rabbit. Have yet been able to show my native Iowa wife one of these critters yet! Where'd they all go?
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Big bull moose, the guides and outfitters have put so many non-residents in the area I hunt, that all the trophy size bulls are pretty well nonexsistent. This year will be the first year that the areas I hunt will be a drawing tag area for non-residents. Even residents have to get a registration permit in one of the areas I normally hunt.
    AlleninAlaska
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pheasants, rabbits and farm land. Houses have replaced the farm land and mountain bikers and joggers have replaced the hunters in the game lands.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.