In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Safes - One Piece vs. Modular

gunluv280gunluv280 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
edited August 2003 in General Discussion
I'm looking for advice/opinions on gun safes. I need a good gun safe that can hold 24-30 long guns, but would rather not have to move an 800lb safe into my basement. I'm not sure it would get there before it crashes through my floor. For this reason, I'm thinking of getting one of the Zanotti modular safes. Anybody out there have any opinions on the relative quality and advantages/disadvantages of these type of safes? Two particular concerns I have: 1) Are they as theft-proof as one piece safes? and 2) Will they keep out moisture even in a humid environment? How do they compare in overall quality with some of the better one-piece safes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two of my friends have Zanotti's. They're well made, and strong.
    They don't "fireproof" since most safes are put in the basement, and they say something like only 1 of 10,000 homes actually burn completely down. You could line it with fire board if it's an issue.
    I'm going to buy the AIII model soon. Racks are set up a little different, seems like less chance of long guns hitting when putting in/out.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    4000fps4000fps Member Posts: 786 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No advice on safes. Just be careful placing it in your basement. I was having one moved into my basement { weight empty 950 lbs} and the whole wooden staircase colasped when we were 3 steps down!
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Zanotti breakdown concept....they say the average person moves 8 times during their lifetime. Mine was a 1500lb monster that took 6 men, 3 pizzas, and a 12 pack to move in....it's a real pain every time we change carpet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. 4000fps---hope nobody got hurt. That would be a hell of a mess to clean up. I'm not quick about getting things done around the house so it probably wouldn't be good if my staircase was out for a few months. Wife might not like that.

Rembrandt--I laughed out loud about that 1500lb monster. I thing the beer and pizza for my moving crew would probably end up costing more than the safe. I wouldn't even want to attempt it other than to put it in the garage.

Guns & Glass---I think I'll start saving for the Zanotti. I'm military, so the moving part will be important and fireproofing isn't at the top of my list. From what I've read, in a bad fire most of them won't do much good anyway.

Thanks again for the advice.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I'm military, so the moving part will be important and fireproofing isn't at the top of my list

We have some good military folk on this board. It's good to see a new military member surface every so often. I know that it doesn't pertain to your thread but threads often change direction so I'll take the liberty by asking you to share your background with us if you wouldn't mind.

I spent 6 months in the Army Reserves and went active duty as soon as I got the green light and have been active since April of 1997. I'm half-way through a 3-year recruiting tour. The light at the end of the tunnel is starting to shine. I've always had professional movers move all of my property at the Army's expense. How do you go about it when it is time for you to move?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been active duty USAF for 16 years. Currently, I'm in the acquisition business, dealing mostly with space systems (GPS and MILSATCOM for example). I recently finished an assignment with the Joint Strike Fighter program office where I got to work with USN and USMC---great job.

When I move, I let the USAF pay for it, but I've never moved any firearms because, until recently, I kept them all at my father-in-law's house. Next move, I'll probably move my firearms myself to make sure I don't have any problems. The movers can take care of everything else.
  • Options
    GunFixerGunFixer Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was looking at them too. they are at www.zanottiarmor.com. I was hoping they were as good as they sound.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know the prices on the Zanotti safes? I did not see any on their site. They sound like the thing for a second safe.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.<BR>