In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

"Billy Jack" vs. Bush.

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
'Billy Jack' To Run Against Bush

CAMARILLO, Calif. - Tom Laughlin, best known for bringing martial arts into American pop culture with his 1970s "Billy Jack" films, is now throwing his punches in the political arena.

The 72-year-old actor, who lives in Camarillo, is one of 13 candidates running for president against George W. Bush in the Republican primary.

Laughlin, who first ran for president as a Democrat in 1992, said he's campaigning to draw attention to a two-party system he deemed "so corrupt it can't function anymore."

He described himself as a "messenger" candidate and said he wasn't disappointed by the New Hampshire primary, in which he garnered 154 votes to Bush's nearly 34,000.

"I've never run for president with any kind of thought of winning except to make a statement that we need change desperately," Laughlin told The Associated Press on Sunday.

He cited President Bush's claims that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction, and Congress' recent approval of a Medicare bill that prohibits the purchase of cheaper health care drugs from Canada, as the issues he's most concerned about.

Laughlin said he hopes to make a docudrama about his campaign, mixing details from his own life with old footage from his cult classic films, including, "Billy Jack Goes to Washington."

"Billy Jack was always about the little guy going against the power brokers who are out to exploit and ruin," Laughlin said. "And that's why I'm running."

Gun_smokes.gif

Swanton.gif

Comments

• HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always liked Billy Jack, he stood against bullies, the term "little guy" is relative though, I myself am preety "little" but liberals absolutely cannot and do not speak for me.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a coincidence ... Our local Walmart has a big bin full of older movies and what-not recorded on DVD, marked down to $5.88 by the regular VHS and DVD movie section ... just a week or so ago I was digging around in there and found a Billy Jack DVD ... it always has been one of my favorite movies ... it came out back in 72-73 I think ~ it played here for 6 or 6 1/2 months with a good crowd almost every night ...

... I remember it well because I was in high-school at the time, and I worked at the theater ... it did get old after the first couple weeks [:0]

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

Topeka.gif
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Billy, Billy, Billy, what are ya gonna do against GW and his gang[?] Them green beret karate tricks aint gonna help ya.[8D]

Like Billy Jack in Born Losers.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    How did that idiot escape from the comic books?

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    Hmmm, sounds like Tom's royalty checks have been getting mighty small in recent years, and he needed some publicity to boost those DVD sales.

Sharkman

bitter, cynical, but much wiser than before [:)]
    edited November -1
    I liked the scene in Born Losers where Billy Jack hip shoots the bad guy between the eyes/sunglasses with an 03 Springfield.

He may be jealous of Kerry.

Don't fly the river!
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Billy Jack, a strange cultural phenomenon. The movie was a dog, but I always liked it. Like the casting of the female lead, Laughlin was out of dough so he just cast his wife, she worked cheap. I never saw her on the Oscar nomination.
    It was the first movie to highlight martial arts. Laughlin got a Korean Hapkido expert to do the fighting scenes. Rent the movie and play the fight scenes in slow motion, you will see where they change from big ol barefoot Tom Laughlin to a skinny, grinning Korean doing those high kicks.
    That show "Billy Jack goes to Washington" was bizarre. It took years, and millions to make. It was a remake of that Jimmy Stewart movie about the poor boy who becomes Senator.
    The movie featured about an hour of Laughlin giving ponderous speeches before the senate committees.
    This movie lasted about a week in the theaters before it got the hook. Laughlin went broke on that film, and has made a meager living off residuals ever since.
    I think I saw him picking up coke cans, for the deposit, on the shoulder of US 25 the other day.

Laughlin absorbed the Billy Jack character into his own persona. As you can see by his remarks on this thread, he has been living as "Billy Jack Goes to Washington" for 35 years.
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bush is going to put his right foot across the left side of Billy Jacks *, and there isn't anything Billy will be able to do about it![:D]

For those of you that do not remember; that was a line from one of Billy's movies, just before he opened up a can of woop-butt on a local redneck. "I'm going to put my right foot across the left side of your face, and there isn't anything you can do about it"[8D]

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
    edited November -1
    I just go bizzerk when I watch a Billy Jack movie![:o)]

Don't fly the river!