In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reverse physcology on the PAGC.

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Some of you know how I feel about the new game rules for deer hunting in PA thanks to Gary Alt. For those that don't know I'll give you a quick rundown.

Gary Alt has a vision of the entire state of PA becoming a trophy buck state and in order for him to do that he wants to kill off as many does as he can. He has an unrealsitic vision of a doe to buck ratio of 1 to 1, in theory this will work but it won't due to all of the private ground that is posted to no hunting. What will happen is like what we see around here, tiny little deer herds. Thanks to Gary Alt the deer population is way low but he is getting close to his plan in some areas like here.

Another thing he did was to place an antler restriction on the bucks, that doesnt bother me because I don't horn hunt and could care less about trophy bucks, a spike will eat just as good as a P&Y buck.

To help the deer herd come back up I would love to see doe season dropped for one season, that would also raise the number of bucks in the woods as well because alot of yearling bucks are killed when hunters are shooting does. BUT that aint gonna happen!!

Here is my plan and I may try to get a website up and petition some anti hunter sites for help. yes I want the anti hunters in on this since they are the player in my plan! The anti hunters can help us get our deer herds back! They can make one heck of an impact on the doe kill if enough do it.

What I want them to do since PA has drawings for doe tags is every dang one of them interested in saving a deers life is to buy hunting licenses then apply for as many does tags as possible. Apply often and to each area, take the tags from the hunters, it will cost them roughly about $50 a year for each person to do this. If they and each one of their family members start buying the licenses then fewer hunters will be shooting does bring the herd back up and letting more bucks mature. I think it will work. If a deer mamagement area has say 30,000 tags available, and 35,000 hunters and 35,000 antis apply at the same time how many doe tags will actually get used? Not many!

Do you think it will work? I sure do and pretty soon I am going to start hammering the anti hunters web sites, even PETA to see if I can get this going. I think if I pose as an anti hunter and show them some real numbers they will bite, it is all about saving deer right?![:D] Maybe even this will discourage some of the city slickers from coming out in droves and killing everything they see!

line2.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Lonnie: I don't know where your hunting, but up here the doe to buck ratio is high, very high! I see 20 doe to every buck!!! Guess it depends on what part of the state your from!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: Reverse psychology of the PAGC

Counter Intelligence can be a tricky thing. I suspect the anti crowd would understand that applying for deer permits would actually futher the political cause for hunting. And like PA Booger said, things may not be the same in your neck of the woods.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this area the doe to buck ratio is roughly 20:1 also. This Gary Alt plan is just the tip of the iceberg as your individula hunting priviliges and private property rights are at stake.

The big out-of-state and down-state camps around here drew and average of 3 to 5 doe tags per hunter while the locals and especially the farmers ended up with one or none. This all part of the Gov's plan on rural economic development development. the increased taxes and fees are next.

At the same time when a landowner inquired about deer crop damage a concerted effort by the PAGC went into that landowner opening up his land to public hunting otherwise there was nothing that could be done except for the landowner culling the deer himself and processing them and turning them over to the PAGC all under the threat of arrest should any violation occur.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.