In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 question

rcdisrcdis Member Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Was at the local gun shop today, getting him to order some Blue Wonder, when I noticed an M1 setting on the shelf whispering buy me. However, the gun had a Blue Sky mark on it. I seem to remember some comments on Blue Sky being a less than desirable thing to see on an M1. What is Blue Sky, an importer? And how does that effect the quality and worth of the M1? Would preseeate some larnin on that there sujet.

Thanks
rcdis

Comments

• rcdisrcdis Member Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark C's post about a 1941 garand has me wondering. my father entered WWII as a Marine in 1943. He qualified wjth a springfield at MCRD San Diego(altho I think it was called camp something then)He told me the Marines used springfields in the early part of the war and at Guadacanal, and they did'nt get garands until a little before they landed a Pelelieu. Why didn't they have garands earlier if they were being made in 1941?
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I don't know the answer to your question, but heck... it's an M1!! If it's actualy a bargain, JUMP on it!

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I don't know, but if Mark Christian is around he can let you know.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    Yes maybe the maestro (MC) will explain, he sems to know everything about the M1.

rcdis
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ive heard good and bad reports on Blue Sky Imports. However, I have heard about some bad sewer looking bores from alot of the Blue Sky imports.

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue Sky made a name for themselves with their huge import stamp. Sometimes even crushing the barrel past useable.

If the gun is in good shape, a good price, I would get it and find a new barrel if needed.

You must take condition and projected cost to arrive at your answer.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Bly Sky Import M1 Garand a few years back for less than $350.00. It is a really nice piece and and great shooter. The shop owner said it was junk because it was an import. Other than the stamp it's all American and was mgf in 1944 with all corresponding numbers, etc. Excellent bore and metal.

Check it out carefully but don't be afraid of the import mark. Enjoy!

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
    edited November -1
    The asking price was $575.00. The gun had a few problems that I noticed in a quick look. Loose wood, rear sight not working properly.
    Don't know if this is in the "deal" area or not.

rcdis
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Do a search for Mark Christian and another one for Blue Sky. I think the blue sky topic has been discussed before and you should be able to find it by doing a search.

You can buy one from the CMP for $500.00 that you don't have to worry about being a piece of junk. That's where I got the 2 I have.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rebuilt many a Garand in my day and I'd have to vote NO. I know who "Blue Sky" is/was and wouldn't take the chance on it. They'd put a rifle together with parts. Not necessarily quality parts. "If the part fit...put it in. So it's not perfect, so what?"
    Quality control was almost non-existant.
    For that kind of $$$, I'd go for CMP.

Mudge the armorer

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most, I say again most, blue skye barrels are shot out sewer pipes(yeah there may be a few of you shooting sub-minute of angle with your blue skye treasures but I wouldn't hold my breath on that). Those rifles have belonged to third world nations using corrosive ammo and poor cleaning techniques for generations. Given the quality of CMP rifles for the price you just simply cannot beat a CMP weapon. Even a rack grade CMP for peanut dollars is better than just about any import out there. Of course if you are ineligible for a CMP weapon then I guess you have to pay the large dollars for a lesser quality weapon. I just bought one of the cheaper CMP M1D's and it has been gone through with a fine tooth comb....their rack grade M1's get the same treatment as well. Beach
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first M1 was a Blue Sky import. When I sold it I got what I had in it, nothing more. It was a very good shooter, but my next one is going to be a CMP.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is very little point in purchasing a Blue Sky which already has visible problems when you can simply purchase a CMP service grade rifle for less money (or a rack grade for a lot less). I would consider $575 too much for any Blue Sky unless it was one of the less common manufacturers or in VERY nice condition.

Mark T. Christian
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must have lucked out with the two Blue Sky Imports that I have. My Blue Sky Garand is in much better condtion than the CMP Garand that my neighbor got in last year. Sorry Jim no trades.

Check it out very closely. If the price is right (less than $500.00) and your satisfied with the condition get it. At least you will not be buying sight unseen.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.